Ashley's bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Ashley's bag

Postby ashley » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:23 pm

I am going to order a esp flx buzz and a elite x cyclone. Also will be getting a 162 tl. Hope these will round out the bag nicely.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: valkyrie

Postby ashley » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:37 am

1. Stable Control Driver
TL

2.Distance Driver
Valkyrie

3.Understable Driver
Leopard
Roadrunner

4.Moderately Overstable
Teebird

5. Very Overstable Driver
Firebird

Mids
Roc
Cobra

Putters
Rhyno
Aviar

Still working this setup. Added a 168 valk to my 163 and 150. Really liking changing the weights for wind. The 168 valk and 163 teebird were doing really well in the wind for me. However I have added some extra snap to my game recently and the leopard is now flying like the roadrunner used to, so I may end up taking the roadrunner out of the bag.

The 163 teebird and 175 rhyno are definitely the workhorses in my bag. I played Spanish Fork last night(aka the wind farm) and only pulled out a roc once. I am getting the rhyno out so well, that I am either rhyno or teebird distance on almost every approach. Tweaking the bag is definitely working for me though, as I managed to drop another 3 strokes there.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:45 pm

Cool! Congratulations!
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby ashley » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:54 am

1. Stable Control Driver
Teebird

2.Distance Driver
Valkyrie

3.Understable Driver
Leopard
TL

4.Moderately Overstable
Orc

Firebird

Mids
Roc

Putters
Rhyno
Aviar

Pulled the Cobra, Roadrunner and 150 Valk. Added a little oomph to the game, which has caused the tl to fly a little understable, and the teebird to fly dead straight. Also, the orcs are flying very well for me so added them back in. The rocs range from overstable to understable, so I feel like they cover everything for now.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Postby ashley » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:11 am

Played doubles last night with this set up. Threw an orc almost everytime as my off the tee driver. Was working very well. I think I am going to play a few rounds with just the rocs and rhyno, I think they are what I need, but I need more time getting a feel for what the two less stable ones will do( I now have 3, my overstable champ roc, and two less stable kc rocs)

I had 3 solo birdies, and we took 11 of my drives. I am getting closer and closer to 300 on my drives every time. Still not sure what to do with my understable set up. Might put the roadrunner back in. There are 2 holes on that course that I was doing well with the roadrunner. I threw the leopard on both, but it doesn't have quite the same turn. Might just play the roadrunner wider than I have been.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:13 pm

I've always felt even with the extra speed of a Roadrunner they were easier to turn than a Leo of the same beat in ness.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Postby ashley » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:08 pm

Added a new 164 tl to the bag, and I must say that disc is AMAZING!!!!!!!! They just fly dead straight for me out of the box. I am so glad I picked up two of them. I must've thrown it off the tee for at least half of my drives yesterday. Also added the roadrunner back into the bag. The flight of the leopard and roadrunner are just completely different, so I feel better having both of them in the bag.

I also picked up a 145 surge, and so far it has wicked glide, but seems just a little fickle, so we shall see whether it stays or not. It has been fun to throw though.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Postby dgfanatic7 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:14 pm

ashley wrote:Added a new 164 tl to the bag, and I must say that disc is AMAZING!!!!!!!! They just fly dead straight for me out of the box. I am so glad I picked up two of them. I must've thrown it off the tee for at least half of my drives yesterday. Also added the roadrunner back into the bag. The flight of the leopard and roadrunner are just completely different, so I feel better having both of them in the bag.

I also picked up a 145 surge, and so far it has wicked glide, but seems just a little fickle, so we shall see whether it stays or not. It has been fun to throw though.

agreed on the surge ashley, i see just a handful of people that can bomb a surge but most people like me believe to be to weird of a disc to throw, then again i drive completely forehand so that could just be me
Check out my Trade Thread!:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25744
dgfanatic7
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Xcaliber

Postby money 21 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:53 pm

those light surges can bomb but you need the room. Im my opinion they might be the longest 150 disc out there and can hyzer flip for ever.
Last edited by money 21 on Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby JR » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:10 pm

For me 150 R-Pro Boss is so long, that i have a hard time believing, that a 150 Surge could be longer for me. Boss doesn't fade out so early for me in those weights, but i would imagine the fade of the Surge would be even less. I've always wanted to try a 150 Surge, but the reports of the fragility has kept me from buying one. R-Pro Boss experience...
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby ashley » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:40 pm

1. Stable Control Driver
Teebird 163
Teebird 150
Cyclone 164

2.Distance Driver
Valkyrie 166
Valkyrie 163

3.Understable Driver
Leopard 166
TL 164
Roadrunner 169

4.Moderately Overstable
Orc 162

Firebird 167

Mids
Nebula 175
Core 169
Roc 179

Putters
Rhyno 175
Aviar 175

I am usually throwing a TL or Valkyrie off the tee. The 150 teebird has added wicked easy glide. The Nebula is my long lost love. From the first time I threw it, I knew what it was going to do. It feels like a longer Rhyno to me, am I crazy here? I know my bag lacks an understable mid, but I am getting a lot better with my sidearm with the Rhyno on approaches, so I will usually whip that out when the line dictates. I find that my leopard powers down really well on shorter approaches, so that gets thrown a lot too.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:11 pm

I asked about Orions in another thread thinking of golf control shots. Then i though i think i've seen the straighter and less HSS MOLS in 150 as well and that may suit you well for the distance role. Then there is the wild card going beyond the usual Sidewinder recommendation for women of some power and form in the lowest weight you can find Star Vulcan. It has a decent fade and flips at low power so at your power it may be golfable while long too depending on your power. Not knowing the specifics and only having seen people with more power throw one i can't gauge how it would work for your maximum distance role. That's why i'd try to loan one first. It slows down slowly and glides so well that even with moderate power it can go quite far. The fade is the key to getting distance out of it. If you can't grip it well being so wide rimmed you might lack the spin to keep it annied. Lower powered throwers probably miss out on the distance with it if it won't stay annied long. While it is one of the easiest long discs to get going anny it may not like to stay that way at say 220-250' D with a Teebird. I can' tell because i've never seen a light Vulcan having been thrown at so little power.

You have so many drivers now that it might be difficult to pick which one to use the best on some holes. Have you ever noticed that you should have picked another disc after you saw the flight? Does it happen often and if it does which lines to which distances with which disc does it happen the most? If it is common with one disc could you cover all the shots you make with it with the rest of your discs? If you could you probably should if it doesn't compromise handling of special circumstances. Like headwinds, rain, cold and so on.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby ashley » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:35 pm

I have a pretty good feel for most of my discs. The firebird is usually a get out of trouble shot. The cyclone is more of a mid, as it will hold any line I put it on. The leopard is also usually only used as an approach shot, as it powers down well. The Valk and TL are usually my two off the tee drivers. The 150 teebird is used when I need a good straight throw through the trees. The roadrunner is being used less and less, as it goes straight about 200 feet, and then just turns and turns.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:53 am

Do you get a late fade to the right RHBH with the Roadrunner after that 200'? If you do that is a very valuable shot. I've had no luck whatsoever with the Cyclone mold. I have two supaflippy TPs and an absolute brick ESP. So the outside edges of the excessively wide spectrum of stability. If discs were capped in wing width to the Cyclone that mold could cover each driver role from roller to hog stable. So if you depend on the one you have it would be a good idea to take it with you to a store and compare the shapes of equal weight ones there and grab a stack of backups. Unless you're very lucky it ain't gonna cost much because so light weights in the same plastic out of such an old mold is probably be very limited in supply. And they could be discontinued at least in some plastics and some weights. I don't think mid 160s Cyclones are a hot seller and Discraft has ruthlessly axed a lot of great and in cases somewhat selling molds before. Before that happens it is a good idea to have backups before prices jump due to becoming scarce.

About the Orions they need more power than Lat64 River which glides great. I'd pick a GL for a hair less fade than the Opto. At 400' the River can be as long as a Valkyrie. At lower power the River can fly farther with the lesser fade but which is longer varies based on speed and spin of the disc. Valk is faster and that means a lot but not everything each time. There are a lot of options in those speed ranges.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby ashley » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:40 am

I am really going to try and not pick up any extra molds this year. I would like to think I can make it out to 350 with what I have. I am going to try and break down my runup and get it looking good. I have been watching video online, and with the help of my ever so patient husband, I hope to improve drastically with it this year.

My cyclones probably qualify as super flippy, but I like them as approach discs because I can put them on any line and they will hold(tp's for what it's worth) They seem to power down very well.

I looked into getting a River at one point, but it seems like it is hard to find them under 170. 163 is my ideal weight.

To be honest, I rarely throw the ORC, Firebird, and Roadrunner. But, I do keep them in the bag for a hole here and there. If there is substantial wind, the orc will see a lot of use, otherwise it just sits there. I played a tournament last week, and there was one hole that the ORC was perfect for.
ashley
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion