WTF another putter thread?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

WTF another putter thread?

Postby Torg » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:14 am

I have thrown an Aviar since I started playing, about 20 years ago. Lately I have been playing more and more than I did in the past. I like the Aviar but the more I play the less I like the feel of it in my hand. I think it has to do with the shape of most midrange discs and drivers. The rims are totally different. I won't mention that I like Rocs.

I want to get better at putting and my technique seems to be fine. My plan is to go out and buy 10-15 putters and a portable basket and practice like hell. This would make now a good time to switch to a different putter if I am ever going to do it. The main contender I am considering is the Wizard. I am sure there are tons of people that have played both and decided to switch over for whatever reason from one to the other. Why did you choose the one you did?

Right now I am pretty sure I will choose the Wizard due to the price, feel of the rim, and different softness choices. Hmm maybe I should switch to the Buzz over the Roc.
Torg
Tree Magnet

Postby Solty » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:26 am

i started golfing about a year ago and my first putters were a soft magnet and a Omega SS. Going thought my vast buy/sell/trade of discs i've tried about every putter out. I've come to love soft putters...any pain/discomfort that i would have with a harder disc is gone because the soft putters allow for my hands/fingers to mold to the disc.

People often say i have big mitt..size 15 ring....and a 10.5 in spread from my thumb to my pinkie. Personally, i dislike small beads...like most midranges...however i still use them. however when it comes to putting, i chose discs that felt comfortable. Of them, an 86 softie. most people dislike the softie however the feel in my hand makes it bag worthie. tho my proline E Wizard is soft and my omega SS is in the bag as well...there are some days which one putter feels better over the other.

Your idea of getting a boatload of putters and a basket is a fantastic idea. I did the similar thing and have 20 or so putters of all shapes and sizes in my backyard DB5. Small beads like XDs are in ther and so are fattie beads like that of the putt'r are included.

mike
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby presidio hills » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:45 am

the wizard feels very similar to an aviar... i think their rims are equally deep. even a soft S wizard is pretty stiff, you'de be suprised if you haven't felt one before. stiff does not mean bad... in fact i find the soft S wizards to be perfect. the E wizards are as gummy as champion aviars, meaning they're not stiff at all. i can't tell you about super soft wizards, though.

i did the wizard special and love having 5 wizards to putt with and throw around... and i'm glad they're all different so in the future i know what wizards are my fave (the soft S, and the E... i think i like the E the best, however).

seriously though, i don't think it matters too much which putter one uses to putt with. i just pick one that is good for throwing and flies pretty straight.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby sleepy » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:50 am

mikesolt wrote:Your idea of getting a boatload of putters and a basket is a fantastic idea. I did the similar thing and have 20 or so putters of all shapes and sizes in my backyard DB5. Small beads like XDs are in ther and so are fattie beads like that of the putt'r are included.

mike

Do you feel that practicing with many different molds/styles is detrimental? It seems like you wouldn't really be able to get into a groove with one putter if you're constantly practicing with 10-15 different putters. Wouldn't it be better to borrow many different putters from someone, practice with them, and then pick one mold and get 10 in the same weight to practice with from then on? Or, maybe get 5 of your 'basic' putter, and then 5 of your 'windy' putter?

(I'm asking because I too plan on getting 10 putters and a practice basket, and had thought they should all be the same mold/weight.) ;)

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Solty » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:36 pm

sleepy wrote:Do you feel that practicing with many different molds/styles is detrimental? It seems like you wouldn't really be able to get into a groove with one putter if you're constantly practicing with 10-15 different putters. Wouldn't it be better to borrow many different putters from someone, practice with them, and then pick one mold and get 10 in the same weight to practice with from then on? Or, maybe get 5 of your 'basic' putter, and then 5 of your 'windy' putter?

(I'm asking because I too plan on getting 10 putters and a practice basket, and had thought they should all be the same mold/weight.) ;)

sleepy

Many people do say that it's detrimental however i look at it on the other side of the spectrum. i'm expanding my horizon's. I cant tell you how much i love the softie and the wizards...however how are you every going to experience other discs? In retrospect, i know my putters are all near max weight, so that eliminates that weight variable. If i had to do it all over again, i'd prolly buy 10 wizards and just use them. However, when using so many, it gives you a chance to experiment. I don't think they is a right or wrong answer, tho if there was it would prolly be bad however it's subject to ones opinion. I have a slew of discs that if i didnt use em to practice would take up space. Looking back at my putter-o-rama...i think i have 5 wizards(2 ss, 1 s, 1Es and 1 medium) 3 Soft magnets, 3 86 softies, 1 dx XD, 1 putt'r(Z), 3 aviar, 2 jk pro aviar-x, 2-3 others that i cannot think of..

mike
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Smyith » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:47 pm

http://snapdiscsports.com/html/product_discs.html
The Whitler
new disc and from the word on the street its awesome. give it a try be the first one on your course to rock it. otherwise i'd say go with the wizard. i wouldn't go out and buy 10-15 different molds though. bring a friend with you to the store and trow them back and forth and pick the one(s) that feel/ fly the best for you. then buy a bunch of those.
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby roadkill » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:03 pm

Torg,

I was an 86 softie putter for 17 yrs. I always liked the way the 86 dropped straight instead of diving left when the spin slowed down like the aviar, magnet and other putters.

A year ago I switched to the wizard because I felt the 86 was hurting me in windy conditions. I love the wizard!!!! I think it feels great in my hand and holds a great line without the dreaded tail off. I find it makes a great midrange as well. I now can throw my putter up to about 315'.

If you want to really learn a disc play an entire round with just that disc, drives, approaches, hyzers, annies, the works. If you like it an want it as your putter buy 9 more in a similar weight and have putting practice with em.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Torg » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:41 am

Went out to Gotta Go Throw and bought a bunch of Wizards. Nice store but pretty hard to get to. Still waiting on the basket, picked up a Instep one and plan on doing the chain mod I found on the PDGA boards to it. Should be putting like a champ in a few thousand throws now...
Torg
Tree Magnet

Postby Mark Brunner » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:45 am

Torg wrote:Went out to Gotta Go Throw and bought a bunch of Wizards. Nice store but pretty hard to get to. Still waiting on the basket, picked up a Instep one and plan on doing the chain mod I found on the PDGA boards to it. Should be putting like a champ in a few thousand throws now...

Try a few 100k throws :)
http://www.gdstour.com
Gateway Disc Sports!
Mark Brunner
Tree Magnet

Postby presidio hills » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:30 pm

sleepy wrote:Do you feel that practicing with many different molds/styles is detrimental?

i usually practice with two gators mixed in with 6 wizards. i use the same form for both if i'm putting within 30'. personally i don't think it matters if your stack is mixed... putters all fly about the same within 30'. i think getting comfortable with the feel of the putter does help, though... but that can be achieved by using it in rounds, not necesarily practicing putting.
i run on lazer beans
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Kpro » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:46 pm

I also did the 5 wizard deal and loved it. I got two mediums which i use for shots aout side 30ft and two Softs for inside 30ft. I use the e just for practice, its alot softer than all of the others. When i first started a year ago i was playing with aviars but now i am a wizard convert.
Dallas Area Disc Golfers - Visit www.DallasDiscGolf.com

Thanks,
Kyle
Kpro
Noob

Postby garublador » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:26 am

Kpro wrote:I also did the 5 wizard deal and loved it. I got two mediums which i use for shots aout side 30ft and two Softs for inside 30ft. I use the e just for practice, its alot softer than all of the others.

Try throwing them all for distance. Most people who throw an E Wizard use it for approaches and short drives.
Last edited by garublador on Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Kpro » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:06 pm

Will do, always open for suggestions.
Dallas Area Disc Golfers - Visit www.DallasDiscGolf.com

Thanks,
Kyle
Kpro
Noob

Return to Equipment