Are there any 1000 rated TD's ?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Are there any 1000 rated TD's ?

Postby ziggy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:56 pm

So I got to talking with a friend about how being a Tournament Director does not get as much recognition as a 1000 rated player.

Most of the good TD's I know are not 1000 rated. They spend more time promoting than practicing.
One thing led to another and thought this was worth asking to you all.

Are there any 1000 rated TD's out there ?
ziggy
Fairway Surgeon

Re: Are there any 1000 rated TD's ?

Postby WesV » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:31 pm

Jim Oates, who runs the pro shop at Shady Oaks DGC in Orangevale, CA, is a 1010 rated TD. Plays Open Masters.

He is one of the TDs/event organizers for the St. Patrick's Day Classic.

Favorite Disc: The Wiz!

Postby ferretdance03 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:34 pm

Craigger from MD is the first to come to my mind. He has run at least one event so far this year, and has run an A-tier for 20 plus years I believe, although this year he is handing over the reins.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby Fritz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:04 pm

TDing hurts your rating :P
It takes so much to plan tournaments, especially A Tiers.
I'd be surprised if there were more than 10 TD's that have a 1k + rating.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:32 pm

The Non-Stop Disc Golf Tour guys are running events as they cross the country. Timmy Gill used to be over 1000 and ran many events in cluding the MN Majestic NT/A-tier. Dan Ginnelly has been the long time TD for The Memorial and was over 1000 most of the time and usually still averages that when he plays in it. Greenwell is TD for the US Masters this year and has run many events in Louisville in the past. Dr. Rick has run big events in Bowling Green. Darrell Nodland (who? look him up) has run amny of the events over the years in North Dakota. J. Gary Dropcho has been near or over 1000 and run many vents in Pittsburgh. Steve Brinster has run events in NY/NJ area.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:02 pm

How about a breakdown of highest ratings of TDs of events of different caliber? Worlds/USDGC, majors, NT, A tier and so on. The bigger the event the more difficult it is to practice and compete to keep up the skill level.

Jussi Meresmaa was pretty highly rated when he was the co TD of The European Open 2009 and organization manager at the 2011 EO. Past 1020 last year and he might have been beyond 1030 in 2009. That is a pretty tough act to follow and i'm not surprised that he didn't compete in many events running his company at the same time. He and his team have put in dozens of courses in that time period too. And at least this winter they have been DG ambassadors around the globe. At least Taiwan and Australia have been some stops.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby ziggy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:24 am

Chuck Kennedy wrote:The Non-Stop Disc Golf Tour guys are running events as they cross the country. Timmy Gill, Darrell Nodland (who? look him up)

Thanks Chuck!
The nonstop tour is what brought up the convo.
I'm aware of Nodland thanks to his surprise placement at the usdgc one year.
Timmy Gill was in our convo since his rating declined as he focused more on promotion/growth aspect of the game instead of competing.

Dana Vicich is Putting on tourneys as well. Turned 1000 rated last year.

It's so much easier to recognize our 1000 raters but how do we recognize our bonafide TD's?
Usually word of mouth if they have done this before. Surely there needs to be a way to rate our TD's in their ability to put down a good shindig.
ziggy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:34 am

Figuring out a fair way to rate TDs/host clubs is a project Andrew is working on at PDGA HQ.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Return to General Discussion