rip finger questions

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

rip finger questions

Postby dehaas » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:45 am

Since the winter weather was so mild I had the oppotunity to get out and throw a lot more than I normally do. Lately I've noticed a callus building up on the upper left corner of my middle finger (closest to the ring finger and throwing RHBH). I throw with a 4 finger power grip, but my index finger isn't touching the middle finger along the inner rim of the disc. There is maybe a quarter of an inch (at most) gap between my index and middle finger pads if that makes sense. This has always felt the most comfortable, so it's what I go with. Am I limiting myself in my grip, as it seems most people rip off of their index finger?

As a frame of reference for my power level I was getting 350 pretty consistently with a 168 s line td, fresh 157 p line pd, and a seasoned 172 p line pd. I got a few good pulls in with my fresh 163 s line dd2 out over 400.
dehaas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: wizard

Re: rip finger questions

Postby JR » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:16 am

Perhaps you could ease up a little on the gripping strength of the middle finger initially and add strength after the elbow starts to straighten. If you do that then even a later grip increase or even less initial squeezing or both might help.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby CatPredator » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:20 pm

In response to the heart of your question, yes I think you're limiting your distance by ripping off your middle finger. I'd suggest experimenting with the fork grip, or a Robbie Bratten style two finger grip, or even a three finger power grip. Getting a good pinch between your index finger and thumb, and a good disc pivot around that lock point, is a big part of throwing far. It's likely the disc is seated in your hand funny if you are getting big middle finger callouses. Look at the flip back drills in the incomplete secret technique section for a feeling of what a disc pivot should feel like....
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby El Presidente » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:45 pm

If you're getting a callous on the left part of your middle finger, wouldn't that mean it's not from contact with the disc? I have one on the right side of my middle finger (so the suggestions in this thread have been useful) but if yours is on the left, I'd assume that's from rubbing against your ring finger???
El Presidente
Noob

Favorite Disc: Destroyer

Return to Technique