AM bag help

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

AM bag help

Postby kprestel » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:33 pm

Hello all I am an amateur been playing for about 6 months 3 times a week for about 2 months. Im looking to play in tourneys when I figure out how.... haha anyways,

My bag:

Drivers:
Champion Beast- Kinda my go to I cant control it to well I throw it 300+
ES Nuke- Just got it from a friend, cant really control it to well
Avenger SS- Doesnt fly quite as far around 275 but straight starting to go out to the right on me
Elite X XL- Great for my anhyzer shots again 300+
Archangel- Dont throw it to much mostly for rollers
Star Wraith- Just got this disc back... Havent thrown it to much just dives off Left

Mid Range:
KC Pro Roc- My go to disc goes around 250+ I can hyzer and anhyzer it well.
Buzzz SS- Flys nice and straight around 225+
DX Shark-staright then fades off left around 230

Putters:
DX Aviar- Dont use to much anymore mostly for anhyzer putts
Westside Swan- Great stable disc I make most within 15 ft

So what do I need? I can throw forehand as well the shot I need is the hyzer flip so what disc to do that with and how would be nice.

Any other tips are appreciated

Thanks
kprestel
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: AM bag help

Postby discpunk26 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:46 pm

Well, it sounds like you have three great candidates in the bag already, (avenger ss, xl, archangel). The way you throw a hyzer flip is to start your throw on a hyzer angle, the less stable discs will then pop up to flat and ride straight and hyzer out at the end, or for the roller disc you have, could add close to 100' to your drive on a turnover. Your archangel when thrown on a 7 o'clock hyzer it should pop up to flat then tip slightly right and ride landing flat around 350' for you, just a guess.
discpunk26
Noob

Favorite Disc: firebird

Postby kprestel » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:55 pm

Thanks alot!

One more thing I just got back from a round and i find my beast really drifting right at first... Is this my fault? can I fix it?
kprestel
Noob

Postby JR » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:00 pm

Hi and welcome. Getting rid of the Nuke helps and the Wraith shouldn't be used for much else than left dumps and perhaps forehand drives. I would not get anything else as you already have too many discs for a new player. Playing a year or so would make each of those discs more familiar and make picking the right one for the shot easier. Because then you know the strengths and weaknesses of the discs and the boundaries when to use them and when not to.

Turning the Beast may be you and may be the disc. They changed the disc around two years ago and the older ones turn from a flat release and the newer ones don't at least thrown to 410-415' skips included. To stop the disc from turning right you need to determine if you have off axis torque. If not then you have an older one or a broken in new one. Then a new Beast should help. The outside edge should not droop down but be level for a new one. The difference to an old one is minimal so it may come from material changes but the same is true in different plastics. That leads me to think that there is a good chance that they might have replaced an old worn mold and gotten a better overall disc as a result.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby kprestel » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:15 pm

Thanks for the input.

So let me get this straight toss the wraith and nuke? Why? i just learned the wraith haha.

But the reason I have so many discs is me and my dad share them and I have a friend who passes them down to me.

And yeah I'm not sure about the beast for whatever reason I have trouble keeping it down and flat.

What do I do when I have a tunnel?
kprestel
Noob

Postby JR » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:35 pm

You shouldn't ditch the Wraith because it has utility disc potential and for your power some headwind handling. The Nuke is too hard fading. Having a somewhat wide winged disc in the Wraith is good for developing finger and hand stretching with gripping power at non fist like grips like you get with thin minimal winged discs like Wedges, Spikes and XDs. In tunnels you want something that gives you safety margin against user error in not turning clock wise even when your arm motion drops low in the follow through. Tunnel disc should also fade very little so putters then mid are the preferred discs. In tunnels you are sometimes rewarded for wussing out and throwing with more control at reduced power levels so that you hit the middle better. Consistently. There slower discs are great because they don't add so much fade when you power down. Again score for putters and to straighter mids. When you can or need to take chances (it is good to push at least in practice to learn) you should sometimes use drivers to learn in the long term and the XL is good for tunnels out of the drivers. Eventually switching discs will push you even more forward than learning skills alone. A no brainer mid like the Coyote may help so much that it may slow down accumulation of skills in the tunnels. Which is the acid test so it tests out all your technique skills.

It is interesting that the Beast rises high and still turns right. Usually high shots reduce turning. The Beast glides well and is fast so it is bound to rise with the front of the disc level with the rear of the disc. Even more if the front of the disc is higher than the rear. That is a major form fail and there is a lot of form advice here. I have written the basics of correcting that in the last few days so a search as me as the author should help if you don't wanna delve deeper and search for more thorough explanations. Also see Youtube Disc Golf Monthly episode 94 video. Getting a Beast to pop up and still turn sounds like off axis torque error with nose up throwing error.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion