Need Help Crushing Blizzards..

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Need Help Crushing Blizzards..

Postby CloudySkyJedi » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:36 pm

If this needs to be redirected to another post, forgive me.

I've been tossin a few blizzard discs and have mixed results. When I throw a nice smooth 70% finesse throw and focus on giving the disc a little extra spin (b/c not throwing max power) all is well. The discs perform as they should, with noticeably more glide etc. that blizzards should do.

The problem is when I get ready to crush one. If I really give it the beans, I notice that my grip strength / pinch at the hit causes the light weight disc to rip out later than I'm expecting. Typically 10-15 degrees right of my intended target line. Whereas a normal weight disc having more mass rips out at the correct time.

I don't think it's operator error or technique issues. I have a clean form and good snap at (my) max power. I'm throwing destroyers and bosses 150-155g. I can throw normal weight discs legit 400' on command.

Does anyone else have these late release issues on big throws? Or should I just compensate for the lateness?
Not related to grip lock or other noob mistakes.
Anode Rhyno Vector Axis Roc Firebird PD FD Volt Quasar Nuke
CloudySkyJedi
Noob

Favorite Disc: Anode

Re: Need Help Crushing Blizzards..

Postby Whiz » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:37 pm

I have had this same issue with the lighter (130s) Blizzard discs. Not issues with the 150+ discs. Not exactly sure what is happening but it feels like the hit is late.
E* DD2, Wraith, Glow Firebird, S-P-C PD, TD, Leopard, Roc, KC Aviar
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S Wiz/S PD

Postby JR » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:07 am

I have no experience of sub 150 Blizzards because my first ones are en route. I've thrown ultralights for years and have not seen the issue you've had. Maybe you get slips so late that the regular discs fly on the line. And your form does promote grip locks that have been masked by the slips. And now that you have light discs you have enough grip strength to not have them slip out on line. Do you start the arm pull before the right leg plants and do you pull far away from the right pec? Those make it easier to get a grip lock.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Booter » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:49 am

you were throwing them right in the first ddescription. u cant "crush" them the same as heavier discs,or what uour experiencing,will happen. so it is operator error. pick up a 150's destroyer or bosss. those are more stable than the sub 150s and can handle more power. though,with blizzards, the idea of these is to benefit people with slower arms speed and less power. for people who throw 400+ or even have the arm speed,there is a learning curve and u cant throw them the same...jist like most other 150 class disc.

after weeks of learning it,i have no problems throwing my 135 and 130 destroyers
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby CloudySkyJedi » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:50 am

I don't start the pull until my right leg plants. I pull close to my right pec. It's not grip lock, because the hit is there, it's just late.

I have a destroyer that my scale weighs at 152.4 and a boss that's 156.2.

I can get the same distance/line as a heavy disc throwing a blizz at 70ish% power. But I've got to believe if I can get the timing right, a full power throw could sail past what I can do with a normal weight disc. And that's what I'm wanting a blizzard to do. Not to compensate for a weaker arm or slower swing speed.
CloudySkyJedi
Noob

Postby seabas22 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:06 pm

Sounds more like the heavy disc are slipping and your closer to hitting with the lighter discs.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby JR » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:05 pm

I have to disagree with booter based on years of throwing UL, 150 class and everything above that to max weight discs and side with seabas. Where is your thumb? What happens if you move it in quarter inch increments toward the center of the disc? So far my experience with 150s is that they throw the same at full power (400' sometimes over) except you just need to add initial hyzer angle and it ain't any different to getting a new mold you've never thrown. The same goes for UL non Blizzards except perhaps there is a difference in moment of inertia in the ones with bubbles only in the rim and that shouldn't be a major issue in late releases. I received my first UL Blizzards and will probably throw them later today but there's little traction available outside and i'm off from gym yesterday. Won't stop me from throwing though :-D
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby CloudySkyJedi » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:21 pm

I don't think it's slippage or grip lock issues. I been a noob before and overcome those hurdles. And I have the skill to analyze (my) throw and know when something is wrong. With heavy discs I hit my target line consistently with drivers from fairway to warp speed, that leave my hand accelerating fast with and audible
CloudySkyJedi
Noob

Postby fanter » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:34 pm

CloudySkyJedi wrote:With heavy discs I hit my target line consistently with drivers from fairway to warp speed, that leave my hand accelerating fast with and audible

If you are hearing a "snap" sound, then chances are that you are experiencing early slips as seabas said. That sound is caused by the pads of the fingers slapping against the palm of the hand, which means that the disc is leaving the hand before the wrist opens and it pivots off the pinch point. Correct snap (the mildly misleading term we use) doesn't have that sound.

I know because I hear this sound a lot :oops:
fanter
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby zpitman135 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:39 pm

Ive seen a lot of people have timing issues with the lighter blizzard discs. I had a tendency to strong arm mine when i first got it. it just seemed natural for some reason, but ive since fixed that problem. Maybe you are just doing something different with your technique and not realizing it. try videoing yourself with a normal disc then the blizzard; however dont count out what seabass is saying maybe you just are more fully hitting and dont realize it. unless youre throwing over 450 consistently you probably arent getting a full hit and that doesnt mean youre a noob. there are plenty of very experienced players that dont fully hit, and it often happens on accident at first for players. i would at least explore the possibility.
zpitman135
Noob

Favorite Disc: Supersoft Wizard

Postby CloudySkyJedi » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:40 pm

What I'm saying is: 150+ blizzard discs come out of my hand a fraction of a second late on a full power throw with a heavy disc's grip strength for a "crush" throw. I understand that the swingweight of the disc is lower than that of a heavy disc. But a heavy disc comes out on time b/c it pulls itself out harder (having more mass) than a blizzard disc. The light disc still rips itself out, it just doesn't pull as hard, thus making it later.

Is this something I should just account for in aiming? It seems with blizzards I can't get them to come out on time in the sweet spot of my throw where the aim and plane are correct for the predicted throw.
CloudySkyJedi
Noob

Postby seabas22 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:51 pm

Blake_T wrote:a concept that i have learned people have difficult differentiating between:

1. if your last feeling is the disc pulling against the fingers, it was most likely a slip.
2. if your last feeling is the fingers pulling against the disc, it was most likely a hit.

this is a very subtle yet very important concept.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby CloudySkyJedi » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:59 pm

Well damn.
CloudySkyJedi
Noob

Postby JR » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:25 am

I had my first tries with 131 Destro and 134 Wraith with 133 Putana fucking up in all sorts of weird ways but none of these grip locked or released late. So if they work normally for me either my form is off in a way that suits Blizzards sideways accuracy or you have atypical discs or there's something in your form or grip that makes the discs fly to the right.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby CloudySkyJedi » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:54 am

After contemplating this over night, I have come to the conclusion that I must be at the half hit stage with normal weight discs. Anyone know a link for a thread on how to get to a full hit?

I guess I owe Innova props for blizzard discs. Had they not come out, I'd still be content with my throw and never have posted here to figure out what was going wrong.
CloudySkyJedi
Noob

Next

Return to Technique