challenger

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: challenger

Postby JHern » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:25 pm

I had a really great over-stable Pro D Challenger once, tacky but rigid, with gold stamp...I was driving it, putting it, approaching it, everything. But then it got so beat up (as useful discs tend to do) that I had to go in search of another. I tried many many many others, and none of them were the same. Kind of like how the old (circle tool) Wizards were over-stable, but the modern ones are purely stable...I encountered the same with the Challenger. My sources on the inside say that this is simply what they do (both Discraft and Gateway), people complained that the putters were too over-stable and so they started to tweak the blend to get them more stable instead. Publicly, of course, the Discraft folks are supposed to parrot the "consistency" garbage peddled by Discraft (consistent my ass!).

Still, I dream about that older Pro D Challenger. Disc golf just isn't the same without it. Maybe another manufacturer will make one like that one day.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby rwmurrow » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:25 pm

JHern wrote:I had a really great over-stable Pro D Challenger once, tacky but rigid, with gold stamp...I was driving it, putting it, approaching it, everything. But then it got so beat up (as useful discs tend to do) that I had to go in search of another. I tried many many many others, and none of them were the same. Kind of like how the old (circle tool) Wizards were over-stable, but the modern ones are purely stable...I encountered the same with the Challenger. My sources on the inside say that this is simply what they do (both Discraft and Gateway), people complained that the putters were too over-stable and so they started to tweak the blend to get them more stable instead. Publicly, of course, the Discraft folks are supposed to parrot the "consistency" garbage peddled by Discraft (consistent my ass!).

Still, I dream about that older Pro D Challenger. Disc golf just isn't the same without it. Maybe another manufacturer will make one like that one day.

I have a 2005 beat to crap cryztal challenger that is overstable. and brand new ones that fly staight stable. :(
Destroyer,PD2, Firebird, Teebird, Gator, Roc, Challenger
rwmurrow
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:36 pm

Anyone throw the new Z challengers?
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby NoMoreTinCup » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:26 am

Yes if you are talking about the FLX Z. Tremendous glide. IMO, less LSS than Cryztal, but more HSS. They are straighter in flight for me in the 250-300' range than any other challenger save a heavy Soft X. They also seem to be able to fly as far as the Soft X, but use more glide (i.e. thrown higher) to attain that distance. I have a Cryztal in the bag for shorter hyzers and forehands, and the new one for long upshots/drives. The FLX Z went in after a 310' ace........
KP
Elk Creek Disc Golf
www.elkcreekdgc.info
NoMoreTinCup
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Craft Discs

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:36 am

I think these are just regular Z

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-DISCRAFT-L ... 484486541f

I'm getting one in so I'll find out how they feel and throw soon enough.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby turso » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:17 am

That looks AWESOME. I want me some.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby victorb » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:20 am

I wonder if the opacity of the plastic really makes them fly differently than cryztal. If I had to bet, I'd say they fly pretty much the same.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby AbelRod » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:41 am

it seems like these are the same plastic as the z zones

and the z zones are not more stable that pro d
NUKE, Pred, XL, Comet, Buzzz, Challenger
AbelRod
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: comet

Postby phatbeater » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:17 pm

I just got a few d challengers 3 weeks ago and they are sick. i got them from DD and they are concaved and overstable like they used to be!!! They are the best putters i have ever thrown. They are stiff yet tacky, kinda like a harder x. i have a flx for driving and still not nearly as accurate on releases as the pro d's. if u can get the concaved ones new DO IT!!!!!
Driver: 175g z stalker, 2x174g surge, 174g z predator, 174g flx Avenger SS, 174g esp pulse, 174g z force
Mid-range: 178g FLX, Z, TI buzzz, 177g z wasp, 177 flx drone, 177g meteor
Putter: 175g flx challenger, 2x175g softapx, 2x175 pro-d challenger
phatbeater
Noob

Favorite Disc: Discraft buzzz

Postby JHern » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:36 pm

phatbeater wrote:I just got a few d challengers 3 weeks ago and they are sick. i got them from DD and they are concaved and overstable like they used to be!!! They are the best putters i have ever thrown. They are stiff yet tacky, kinda like a harder x. i have a flx for driving and still not nearly as accurate on releases as the pro d's. if u can get the concaved ones new DO IT!!!!!

Thanks for the tip!
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby phatbeater » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:28 pm

Any time bro.
Driver: 175g z stalker, 2x174g surge, 174g z predator, 174g flx Avenger SS, 174g esp pulse, 174g z force
phatbeater
Noob

Postby phatbeater » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:34 pm

Anytime bro. i hope u get them. the concave ones iver heard are rare but I'm sure if u ask for them they would send u some. mine were blue in color if that will make a different
phatbeater
Noob

Postby Pwingles » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:32 pm

I got a couple Z challengers and theyre very nice, way better than cryztal flx and esp flx for throwing. Its a similar feeling z blend as the z zones, a little soft and flexible flight plate but ridgid around the rim. However the flightplate on the challs vs the zones give much less and feels thicker which would make sense if it gave less i suppose
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby cfair » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:56 pm

The challenger won out for me when I went searching through putters. I really wanted to try out some of those nate Doss challengers but alas. Broke. I have used almost every other kind of challenger and I really believe stiff and orange Pro Ds are the best. I've used Can Todds and can honestly say that the stiffest Pro Ds are a whole lot like them. I don't like Crystals, ESP, FLX, or Softs. Haven't used Z but I don't think I need to.

Stiff Ds glide better, beat in awesome, go concave, and aren't hard to find. Just give them time to get fleshy.
cfair
Tree Magnet

Postby chunk » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:19 pm

i got a bunch of chanllengers if anyone wants to trade... d, cryztal, and a soft. pm me if you're interested.
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment