Help fix my drive!

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Help fix my drive!

Postby kprestel » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:40 am

So I've been playing for about 6 months 3 times a week. So I am still new but I understand the game. So I'm finally getting enough power behind my shots for the discs to do what they are supposed to. But the problem I have is that I throw them so high. I can't throw anything flat. Also I cant really hyzer I can anhyzer great but cant get that hyzer. Im looking to learn the hyzer flip shot and just throw straighter and farther.

Im scared I need a full overhaul from grip on... Let me know what you think.
kprestel
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: Help fix my drive!

Postby JR » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:27 pm

Hi and welcome. You should work on one thing at a time anyway so that you have a better chance of noticing how the throw feels when the brain isn't overtaxed with doing bazillion things simultaneously. Keeping the disc low is helped by being at least upright or even slightly forward when the disc rips out of your fingers. It is crucial to keep the disc at a constant height and allowing the forearm muscles to be loose so that the wrist can hang low initially helps with keeping the front of the disc down. The other half to keeping the front of the disc down is to actively very forcefully push the hand down after the elbow starts to straighten out.

Hyzer may be hampered by stiff upper back muscles not letting the shoulder blade move freely. That stops the arm from rising and will tilt the disc anny just before the rip. Warming up will help and stretching too but it depends on how stiff and tired you are. Running from the left rear toward the center or even right front of the tee and planting the final step to the right of the running line will tilt the body hyzer aligning every moving body part the same. So nothing is fighting the hyzer angle and the motions of the other parts of the body.

Hyzer flips need understable discs. The slower the disc the easier it is to get to flip but the turn number in Innova charts or HSS in Joe's Flight Chart is the dominant factor.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby kprestel » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:32 pm

Thanks for the reply!

So I have a few questions, I feel as though when i bend my knees more down it will come out flatter, any reason for this?
And I always hear about how important grip is.... Is mine wrong? haha its a simple power grip I dont understand how it makes such a big difference or like Ive seen videos saying like you grip with your thumb?
kprestel
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:14 am

Squatting a bit helps with balance. Maybe you need that to not tilt to the side. Bent knees protect the knees against twisting injuries to a large extent. It ain't a cure all and can't absorb all the force from a full speed run up with a flat footed plant step.

You can grip so that the bottom of the flight plate can face the target so the grip can make a difference. So would do a grip that leads to slips. If you have gripping power to spare pushing the front of the disc gets easier with raising the rear of the disc from the seam of the hand to the base of the thumb or in between. It stresses the fingers more and demands more finger strength to get a full disc pivot. IIRC Blake estimated the driver D difference between a 3 o'clock and 5 o'clock rip to be 50' or so. With 12 o'clock being the front of the disc at the rip point where the disc leaves the thumb and index finger tips. The thumb is the only finger on top of the disc and there are four fingers competing against it in a power grip on the other side. Which is stronger and determines the grip strength? According to world champ and former distance record holder Dave Dunipace of Innova the thumb determines the grip strength.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby kprestel » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:33 am

Im only 19 so I dont have to worry about my knees haha theyre young and flexible.

So on the grip, so what your saying is I use the "FU" grip or i think it maybe called the "Birdie Grip" when your middle finger is extended I will get the same distance then I would if I used the normal "Power Grip" as long as my thumb pressure is the same?
kprestel
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:24 pm

Depending on your grip strength perhaps but unlikely. The birdie grip has less total grip strength because there are fewer fingers doing the work. But some of that may be replaced by more looseness in the arm muscles from tendon mobility. Looser muscles move faster. So it depends on the grips you compare, your limberness and finger power vs power from elsewhere challenging the fingers by creating force that tries to make the disc slip out early. Only experimentation will tell. BTW for reference i'd like you to try a two finger power grip with loose forearm muscles to see how fast you can move the arm.

Bending the knees makes you follow through step better and that also helps in avoiding the mobility limits of the hip joint. Which can hurt you and will jerk you possibly even leave you facing left of the target=reduced accuracy and the ability to repeat the shot the same each time.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby kprestel » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:04 am

Ok I can do that next time I go out and play. But what exactly is a two finger power grip?

And are you saying I should be bending the knees or no? Sorry for the confusion
kprestel
Noob

Postby JR » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:51 pm

The two finger power grip is exactly like a regular power grip except the pinky and the ring finger are curled in a fist and the middle and index fingers are the only ones inside the disc.

You should bend the knees about 10 degrees. The best angle depends on your body. You should achieve a firm balanced stance when you stand still. So strong that you won't fall over if somebody pushes you. When you do the same in a throw a little sliding on the ground or a gust of wind won't be nearly as bad as it would be otherwise. A straight knee during the foot pivot can strain or even injure your body.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby kprestel » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:52 pm

Ok so I just got back from a round using the two finger grip and wow what a difference. I throw farther and more accurately. Is that good? haha what do I do now do I keep it?
kprestel
Noob

Postby JR » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:18 am

I would definitely keep it as an option while also getting comfy with a power and fork grips for more control and grip strength for cold and wet weather. Two finger grip slips off so easily in wet weather that it ain't enough with slick discs in putting in the rain. At least if you have slick dry hard skin like i do. The two finger grip is good for risky maximum distance and keeping the muscles loose throwing under powered to save your strength until later in the round or the next rounds. The flip side to that is that powering down won't develop your power and explosiveness as fast as ripping full tilt. Ripping has the downside of not developing most of the skills needed to lower the score so it is a juggle. I'd learn skills and accuracy with repeatable performance first meaning powered down throwing and let the power come with time. And cross training at the gym.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Return to Technique