the bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: the bag

Postby Mike C » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:57 pm

Are you using the DD more over the Quasar?
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby zj1002 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:46 am

Not really, they both perform different shots. The Quasar is straighter than the DD honestly. When the C-DD slows down, it fades hard and fast. The C-DD is different because it will fly laser straight for 90% of the flight and when it slows, it dies. The Quasar is used in open field situations where I need a flat shot over 475-500ft.

The OLF/OLS still get 85% of my distance driver throws.

The C-DD has competed more with my Xcals than my Quasar. The Xcals might be out of the bag for a bit
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby zj1002 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:27 pm

Putter:
    Omega SS (2003 tourney stamp) - got colder, needed a putter that wont crack
    Omega AP 1.11 - drives and approaches
    Bulldog x2 - these have been pretty awesome for driving BH/FH, rollers, and mega spike hyzer approaches.

Mid:
    C-MD2 - proto CFR mold - beat super straight
    CE QMS x2 - 1 stable, 1 beat - mainly used on flat lines
    Q-Sentinel x2 - 1 stable, 1 beat
    S-Line Gremlin FR $$$ plastic - straight shots. This thing is easy to range because of the small diameter. falls in between mids/putters
    P-MD2($$$ orange XMAS run) - I lost my Aurora MS so this goes in the bag as the next best replacement

Fwy:
    EXP1 1.7 - 7/10 for FH shots
    QJLS x2 - 1 beat, 1 new
    QPLS

Distance:
    QOLF x2 1 fresh for hyzers, 1 150g for utility
    SOLF - main distance driver
    QOLS - beat - flips and annys
    C-DD - fills the gap between the OLF/Quasar - drops the Xcals
    Quasar x2 - 1 fresh, 1 beat

Testers in the bag:
    S-FD - don't throw it much anymore, but I let others test it out
    Lycan FR - it really overlaps with my other midranges but the flight is a bit different. I have enough experience with neutral midranges to know when to throw what

Summary/Synopsis:
  • I dropped the Xcals because I really enjoy the C-DD and the overstable Quasars. Wasnt throwing the Xcal at all
  • The MD2/QMS/Lycan overlap might be confusing to some. Midranges are the core of my game. I know exactly what to expect from my MD2 and QMS. The MD2, because of the blunter nose & micro bead, can handle hyzer flips and wind better. The QMS is used on flat line drives and anhyzers. It gets more used in technical situations rather than the MD2. The Lycan is really just a fun midrange. I could easily use the QMS or MD2 on the shots I would use this for, but it is really tought to put this disc down. seriously. get one.
  • The bulldog has returned. I found myself not really throwing my CE Qmega. Wanted a utility putter. This handles every type of hyzer BH/FH and will roll over small animals
  • Sentinels and Gremlin might overlap to some. This gremlin can handle any straight approach I need. I don't use full power on this disc. mainly controlled hyzers and flat shots that I need to throw on a bee-line but also range. The small diameter helps me zero in the landing area. Sentinels mainly handle sweeping and spike hyzers.
  • I really don't have anything else I need to tweak with this bag. These are all discs(aside from the testers) that have been in out of my bag for the last year. I will probably continue to keep a few slots open for new Innova molds to test(as long as they aren't crappy drivers). I think I like the Lycan so much because the past few releases from Innova have been drivers that don't work for me, and now they finally release a midrange that suits me perfectly
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby zj1002 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:12 pm

Weekly update. lots of changes in the putter/mid area. mainly due to DGR stuff coming in

Putter:
  • D-P2 x2 - dgr stamp. sweet blend of DX. slight concave top like Yetis. just giving it a tryout over my Omegas
  • Omega SS - turnover approaches
  • Omega AP - straight approaches. mainly used off box
  • Bulldog - spike hyzers, FH approaches

Mid:
  • CE QMS - stable QMS - main midrange
  • QMS - opaque orange run. replaced a CE QMS because of the color. purely for anhyzers
  • C-MD2 x2 - 1 beefy opaque for hyzers; 1 proto C-MD2 which is midrange #2 next to QMS(better @ flips)
  • D-MD2 x2 - basically the goal is for these to replace my proto C-MD2 which isn't easy to replace if lost. need seasoning

Fwy:
  • EXP1 1.7 - 7/10 for FH shots
  • QJLS x2 - 1 beat, 1 new
  • QPLS

Distance:
  • QOLF x2 1 fresh for hyzers, 1 150g for utility
  • SOLF - main distance driver
  • QOLS - beat - flips and annys
  • C-DD - fills the gap between the OLF/Quasar - drops the Xcals
  • Quasar x2 - 1 fresh, 1 beat

Summary
  • Mids
    • the goal is to simplify the mids
    • want to season the D-MD2s to replace the CFR MD2
    • dropped QSents, the beefy MD2 was used more
    • Focusing on using my CE QMS more because it is awesome
  • Putters
    • Using D-P2s again, these feel better than the stock stamps
    • Got an R-Pro Bulldog in the mail, which will probably replace the DX one for the winter
    • still use my omega ss for putts and approaches outside 50ft. I fell pretty confident hitting metal on a throw inside 100ft with it
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby zj1002 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:27 pm

added 1 SD-QJLS 1.9 172g and 1 1.2 QOLF 172g.

My last 1.2 QOLF(clear plastic, not the opaque junk) was getting straight so I ordered 5 more from Mill. My beat up 1.2 will rotate in as my main distance OLF and I will probably switch my current SOLF out for a flippier one since it currently overlaps with my 1.2 QOLF
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby zj1002 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:37 pm

D-line P2 x2 - putts and backup
Omega AP 1.11 - turnover, flat drives
CE Qmega - stable driver

CE QMS
QMS
C-MD2 x2 - 1 proto, 1 opaque
D-MD2

QJLS x3
QOLF x3 - 1 fresh, 1 straight, 1 150g
QOLS
Quasar
C-DD

keeping it simple. Dropped the QPLS and focusing on throwing clean hyzers with the QJLS
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby zj1002 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:35 pm

D-Line P2 x2
Omega SS 1.30
CE QMega

QMS x3 - CE, Gummy(flat), Orange stiffy(turnover)
C-MD2 x2 - opaque pink and chartreuse runs.

QJLS x2
QPLS
EXP1
QOLF x3 - 1 straight, 1 beef, 1 thumber(150g)
QOLS
Quasar

Gone back and forth on a lot of discs. The D-MD2 might not be durable enough for the terrain in central texas. Pretty much all of the courses I play are rocky and wooded. It makes a sweet roller right now but I rarely throw those(if anyone wants to buy 2-3 10/10 D-MD2s feel free to hit me up). Added the QPLS and EXP1 back to the bag. They definitely have their place in the bag. Not really using the C-DD much so I took it out of the bag. This setup is pretty much a combo of my last 2 posts
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby new013 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:44 am

saw you were throwing the lycan. how does it compare to your mids, specifically the CMD2.
"F*ck... here comes that guy New013."
new013
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby zj1002 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:02 am

Less stable and more glide than the md2. if md2 = buzz/roc, lycan = comet. Bit more stability than the comet however. If I didn't have a CE QMS, the lycan would probably go in the bag in between my beefy md2 and turnover qms
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby JR » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:18 pm

zj1002 wrote:Less stable and more glide than the md2. if md2 = buzz/roc, lycan = comet. Bit more stability than the comet however. If I didn't have a CE QMS, the lycan would probably go in the bag in between my beefy md2 and turnover qms

The Mako is similar in that it's a hair more HSS and LSS than a Comet. Well i have only thrown a first run Star Mako.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby zj1002 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:24 pm

Had some changes. working a lot on my form. things are a lot more natural. incorporated a lot of technique from Feldberg and GG's form. It has changed my drivers up some. putt is smoother and more accurate. switched back to Omega AP 1.9 since it will be spring time soon, no more cold to crack them

Omega AP 1.8 x2 - main putters. both identical
Qmega - CE
Omega Sirius - trying to season to replace my omega ap 1.11s
DX SB Aviar - turnover. pretty much a dx omega

QMS x3 - 1 CE, 1 gummy flat, 1 turnover opaque
Qsent - replaced the c-md2s

QJLS x2
QPLS
CFR CPD - replaced EXP1 for long hyzer approaches. nice on FHs as well
SPD - been a suitable replacement for 1.1 SOLFs. testing out for like the 10th time
QOLF x2 - my main control distance drivers. 1 fresh and stable, 1 seasoned
QOLS - rollers, huger annys

Wraith Star - straight. marbled plastic similar to the juicy destoryers. been a nice addition
S-DD - super gummy star plastic. lost my C-DD so this went in. almost as stable and uber flat
Destoryer Star - just smashes

So let me explain why I have PD and OLF. I know both discs very well. They do different things. The CFR PD is obviously there for overstability. The goal is to season the SPD so that I don't need to hunt down my favorite straight 1.1 SOLFs and QOLFs. The SPD is used on flat shots, where the OLF handles hyzer flips much better. I really struggled finding a disc that fit in between my seasoned and fresh QOLF. the SPD filled it perfectly. now to see how long it holds up
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby zj1002 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:27 pm

well its been a month

D-P2 x3 - 2 DGR, 1 stock(more stable concave top, yeti-ish plastic)
Omega SS 1.30 - basket approaches, FH/BH anything
Omega AP 1.11 - box drives

CE QMS x2 - 1 trashed, 1 fresh
Q-Sent - 7/10
King Cobra - testing it out but seems ok. doesnt go as far as QSent

QPLS - 1 stable, 1 straight
FD Jackal - 1 DGR tester, 1 fresh(will drop 1 eventually, just messing around with it)
CFR CPD
QOLF x3 - 1 workhorse used, 1 stable, 1 150g
QOLS

Wraith Star
Quasar x3 - 1 of each stage

I lost my favorite CE QJLS and my buddy found it a few days later. Unfortunately he is out of town for a couple weeks. That means the S-FD Jackal gets an audition until I get my $$$ QJLS back. I have backup QJLS but I figured this was a good time to really give the FD a trial. I think I might actually keep my beat up proto tester for wooded shots. It performs those easier, and with less power than the QJLS requires
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby zj1002 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:24 am

Settling in on a bag for my first tourney of 2012

KC Pro P2 x2 - the feel of this putter is what I have always been after. I hope this becomes the norm
Omega SS
Omega AP
Sirius Omega - champy star red
D-Line P2 - overstable

CE QMS x3
Q Sent
King Cobra

QPLS
QJLS x2
FD - used mainly for standstill or lower power shots. More for banking and stall anhyzers that the QJ won't hold as well

CFR CPD
QOLF x2
Q Astra
Wraith x2
Quasar
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby kern9787 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:08 am

Whats the King Cobra flying like for you? How's the HSS?
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby zj1002 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:39 pm

The Cobra is similar to the domey sentinels but the flight is more predictable. The glide isn't they great. I've noticed sents go a good 25-40ft more with the same power. I can throw it on flex lines. If I throw flat it will stay neutral and track sligty right and the fade kicks in real late. That us why I like discs like the K Cobra and sent. Great late fade, when thrown with a clean snap
zj1002
metroid cannon

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion