Faster farther Orc... suggestions?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Faster farther Orc... suggestions?

Postby 7ontheline » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:47 pm

Hello friends,

Please point me a the right direction (save me from buying every fast mold til I find one that works.) For controlled low wind distance I throw a seasoned heavy Champ Orc on a tight s-curve 370-390 that fades very little. It has just enough LSS to turn, glide and fade left of straight complimenting my newish P-PD that doesn't turn without some headwind. I bag a new glow wraith for 375ish stable straight but it fades too hard for the low line I looking for. The wraith's stability is great for flex line distance but even my seasoned star wraiths need a fair amount of room to work out to 400' unless there's a headwind to straighten it out.

I'm looking for 400' on a tight turnover s-line like my Orc. When I was a complete noob I could throw a star vulcan on a tight line but after a few too many tree hits, flippy and no thanks. I'd like to learn something that once it breaks in will be in this longer Orc sweet spot for a while. I tried a GL Sword which worked okay but soon went too understable for anything but hyzer flips. My buddy suggested a domey Opto Flow, thoughts?

What else am I missing besides learning to throw Orcs further? Thanks much!
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Re: Faster farther Orc... suggestions?

Postby Star Shark » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:50 pm

try a Rampage
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby linkinparkervii » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:51 pm

Wraith

/thread
linkinparkervii
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Gold Line Core

Postby 7ontheline » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:57 pm

I've got a new Cannon and boy it that rim sharp and wide. Cannon is less stable than Rampage IIRC and a warp speeder which I'm trying to avoid for controlled distance. For all out wide open distance I'll through my stable Kings... not an oxymoron, some Kings are stable.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby kern9787 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:13 pm

linkinparkervii wrote:Wraith

/thread

This. Much faster than this and you'll start seeing quite a bit more fade as the disc slows down.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby NoLifeLeft » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:33 pm

Pro Wraith
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:46 pm

I swear we just had this thread.

Anyway, wraith.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Jelyman » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:48 pm

Maybe tru a Flow.
Jelyman
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: River

Postby Steve » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:01 pm

Try a lighter weight orc. Faster out of the hand and it will go farther.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby 7ontheline » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:03 pm

Steve wrote:Try a lighter weight orc. Faster out of the hand and it will go farther.

I didn't think about lighter Orc.

I took a 7/10 star wraith to the practice field today. I could turn it over but the wraith had too much fade to get more distance than my seasoned Orc on a low, slight turnover line.

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby CatPredator » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:25 am

Eh, if a Wraith has too much fade for you, you're just going to have to learn to throw harder, or throw a more understable disc. A domey Beast would be the same speed, but probably slightly longer, due to extra glide, more turn, and less fade.

Surge SS is perhaps another option.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby 7ontheline » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:06 am

I resently bought a 2x Beast and I need to flip it up else it would turn and keep going right. My Orcs can handle some wind but I'm afraid the Beast I picked up would be all over the place in a little headwind.

I've got a seasoned Surge somewhere, might have to give it another run but as I recall it was kinda wraith like. So, I'm guessing the SS has a lot less HSS. I tried the Archon with the understanding that it was less stable than the wraith and found the Am Worlds champ version I had to be a lot more understable that a wraith, didn't like it.

Is the Avenger SS the same way... a lot less stable than an Avenger like Archon understable?

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby CatPredator » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:17 am

7ontheline wrote:I resently bought a 2x Beast and I need to flip it up else it would turn and keep going right. My Orcs can handle some wind but I'm afraid the Beast I picked up would be all over the place in a little headwind.

I've got a seasoned Surge somewhere, might have to give it another run but as I recall it was kinda wraith like. So, I'm guessing the SS has a lot less HSS. I tried the Archon with the understanding that it was less stable than the wraith and found the Am Worlds champ version I had to be a lot more understable that a wraith, didn't like it.

The Beast will require more hyzer than the Orc to fly an approximately straight line, but it may also go further in optimal conditions, and it shapes slightly different lines than the Orc.

The Surge SS is a lot more reliable/stable than the Archon, it really is just a tic more understable than a Surge, but it too will probably not get you much more D. The Avenger SS is basically Archon flippy, nothing like an Avenger.

Sadly, you're at the point where disc technology can not take you much farther. You're not throwing with enough velocity/spin to straighten out faster discs with similar stabilities as your Orc. That means you either have to go faster and more understable (Archon, beat Pro Destroyer, X-Nuke, Vulcan, etc...), which inherently comes with a loss of control, or lighter weight.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby Steve » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:57 am

I saw they just released the quantum astra from millennium. That might be worth a shot.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby JR » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:12 am

Beasts vary and even to non flippy to 410' kind are domey. Newer Beasts have slightly higher PLHs. They aren't drooped in the outside edge at least not much at all. Spin to speed ratio matters too. I got similar spin to akuf at 20 revs per second and he was between 102-109 KPH much of the time and i topped out at 94 normally getting 83-87. My non flipping Beast does flip a couple of degrees for him. YMMV.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Next

Return to Equipment