Throwing uphill...

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Throwing uphill...

Postby Jeronimo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:47 pm

I hate it, a lot. :x

You?
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore
User avatar
 
Posts: 3611
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Maine
Favorite Disc: Pure

Re: Throwing uphill...

Postby zj1002 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:43 pm

I learn how to get better

you?
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon
 
Posts: 3432
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:52 pm
Location: Austin TX
Favorite Disc: QMS

Re: Throwing uphill...

Postby Jeronimo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:50 pm

I deal with it and face the problem head on. Still hate it though.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore
User avatar
 
Posts: 3611
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Maine
Favorite Disc: Pure

Re: Throwing uphill...

Postby ziggy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:05 pm

Amateur dgc at tobaggon has uphill on every other hole.
I was rudely welcomed to it back in '04.

It's a different kind of beast throwing up , yes it is.
ziggy
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 833
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:13 am
Location: Talon

Re: Throwing uphill...

Postby Jeronimo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:52 pm

I've yet to meet a hill hole that I haven't conquered fully, though the Toboggan course does intimidate me through sheer reputation. For me half the fun is watching a disc glide and throwing up a hill reduces that effect by like 50% (arbitrary %)

i.e.
Not only is it more difficult, its boring.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore
User avatar
 
Posts: 3611
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Maine
Favorite Disc: Pure

Re: Throwing uphill...

Postby Pwingles » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:21 pm

Throw less stable discs imo
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1059
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:49 pm
Location: Missouwi
Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Re: Throwing uphill...

Postby jsun3thousand » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:22 pm

go play blue valley in kansas city. it will teach you a thing or two.
Scooot_er wrote:And disc golfers aren't always the smartest bunch.
jsun3thousand
wants to be the president of the don zimmer memorial charity foundation of america inc
User avatar
 
Posts: 3381
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:32 pm
Location: the tomb of don zimmer
Favorite Disc: #63

Re: Throwing uphill...

Postby Jeronimo » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:27 pm

jsun3thousand wrote:go play blue valley in kansas city. it will teach you a thing or two.


*runs off to dgcr to look dat shit up*
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore
User avatar
 
Posts: 3611
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Maine
Favorite Disc: Pure

Re: Throwing uphill...

Postby JR » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:29 pm

On my home course the majority of drives are best thrown upward. The course is built around ski jumping hills. It is a challenge and i'm not that interested in throwing low HSS discs but low LSS ones. Flipping discs when there is a steep slope off the fairway ain't nice. So more HSS actually helps in staying in the middle. Getting the knees higher and planning for less reach back and toe pointing angle away from the target helps.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Throwing uphill...

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:04 pm

I love it because I love throwing flippy plastic
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown
User avatar
 
Posts: 12364
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:43 pm
Location: Drowning in a cold river
Favorite Disc: Wraith

Re: Throwing uphill...

Postby niuvalleycane » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:23 pm

blizzard for uphillard
niuvalleycane
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 745
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 9:54 pm

Re: Throwing uphill...

Postby vtbuzzz » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:48 pm

I throw my most flippy disc on a hyzer. I love throwing up hill especially a few holes on sugarbush base course.
vtbuzzz
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:23 am
Location: Burlington, VT
Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Re: Throwing uphill...

Postby jsun3thousand » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:21 pm

Jeronimo wrote:
jsun3thousand wrote:go play blue valley in kansas city. it will teach you a thing or two.


*runs off to dgcr to look dat shit up*


it's one of the longest permanent courses in the country ranging between 9297 ft. – 11049 ft. it's up and down monster hills all day long. you're looking at a 3+ hour long round and you won't see another group the entire time. blue valley is more about the experience than anything. the tee pads are awesome because they are massive and shaped like the hole. you play blue valley for fun once a year and for tournaments. if you have the 09 world's dvd the final 9 features holes 1,2, and 3 from blue valley then the over the pond hole is a temp, then it's the baby course until the 9th hole. play it when the weather is nice because it's not fun in the heat or the wind.
Scooot_er wrote:And disc golfers aren't always the smartest bunch.
jsun3thousand
wants to be the president of the don zimmer memorial charity foundation of america inc
User avatar
 
Posts: 3381
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:32 pm
Location: the tomb of don zimmer
Favorite Disc: #63

Re: Throwing uphill...

Postby Pwingles » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:57 am

jsun3thousand wrote:
Jeronimo wrote:
jsun3thousand wrote:go play blue valley in kansas city. it will teach you a thing or two.


*runs off to dgcr to look dat shit up*


it's one of the longest permanent courses in the country ranging between 9297 ft. – 11049 ft. it's up and down monster hills all day long. you're looking at a 3+ hour long round and you won't see another group the entire time. blue valley is more about the experience than anything. the tee pads are awesome because they are massive and shaped like the hole. you play blue valley for fun once a year and for tournaments. if you have the 09 world's dvd the final 9 features holes 1,2, and 3 from blue valley then the over the pond hole is a temp, then it's the baby course until the 9th hole. play it when the weather is nice because it's not fun in the heat or the wind.

ITs a very long course, fun to play every now and then, on a daily basis, not so much
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1059
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:49 pm
Location: Missouwi
Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Re: Throwing uphill...

Postby colombo117 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:07 am

I don't mind a few uphill shots, like 3-4 out of 18. More than that, and I just suck it up and decide not to play that course a lot after that.

Best discs in my opinion for up hill:

Beat 165-170 rocs
DX Leos
Beat Valks
Beat Pro Destroyers
Ion Challenger Roc EL/EX QJLS Valkyrie Predator
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 821
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:30 am
Location: A real cool club on the other side of town.
Favorite Disc: Challenger

Next

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests