Weight and disc selection, Beginner advice

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Weight and disc selection, Beginner advice

Postby AcesAZ » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:45 pm

I just got into the game and started playing with a friend, about 5 rounds so far. Borrowed some discs he has to play and looking to buy my own. I learned to throw correctly (edit RHBH) and throw a R-Pro Boss for driver shots 169 gram about 300 maybe 325ish on good throws. Also a DX 165 gram sidewinder for left to right shots. Shark midrange and Magnet putter. Shot 6 under on an easy course nearby. Got pretty good accuracy and decent power.

Into the wind Id like something that doesnt turn over and the wind knock down. Reading about a Halo maybe? Heavier like 175? How does weight effect distnace and accuracy? Downwind more glide I guess? lighter weight and draw like sidewinder? Maybe River? I threw a lightweight 155 gram chamion valkerie and hated the lightness, not sure I like the plastic. Not as grippy.

Need some guidance. Relly dont know what to buy and their are thousands of options it seems.

What plastics are grippy and durable. DX plastic is OK but gets dinged up really bad. R-Pro plastic seems pretty nice but Innova doesnt make many in R-pro ive found.

Thinking I need a fade driver and draw. Fade and draw mid. and putter to start with at minimum.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Shark

Re: Weight and disc selection, Beginner advice

Postby TOURNEYPLAYER » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:06 pm

since none of the experts are weighing in.

I would say a river is a great beginner disc, 170ish. stay away from Rpro Bosses, they beat too quick and will then just burn. headwinds, i would say a champ banshee. I think you should get some leopards, and teebirds as well. a Buzzz or Roc, depending on which feels better to to you. if you liked the sidewinder why not try a star valkyrie 168 or so.
TOURNEYPLAYER
I bugged Frank for a rank and got this as my rank. WOOOO Frank rules!

Favorite Disc: ZONE BITCHES

Postby Timko » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:09 pm

How far can you throw that Magnet or Shark?

Do you come from a disc background? Another sport? 325' after 5 rounds is pretty solid, so I assume you've got some athletic ability.

Are you interested in just picking up discs to play some golf, or are you committed to the long haul of tooling your stroke? The reason I ask is that the disc selection you'll get from people will vary on what you're attempting to accomplish.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby AcesAZ » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:34 pm

Timko wrote:How far can you throw that Magnet or Shark?

Do you come from a disc background? Another sport? 325' after 5 rounds is pretty solid, so I assume you've got some athletic ability.

Are you interested in just picking up discs to play some golf, or are you committed to the long haul of tooling your stroke? The reason I ask is that the disc selection you'll get from people will vary on what you're attempting to accomplish.

I come from a golf background (scratch golfer)of 20 years so I understand rotational power well. Game comes pretty easy to me I guess because of that. As far as where I go with disc golf. Im really enjoying it so far, Ive platued in regular golf and not as into it as I use to be. Ive worked a few hours thus far on the disc golf technique and putting technique. Not sure how far I'll take it? I dont want to buy discs that I wont end up using down the road. I throw the (edit Shark) on shorter par 3's like 200-230 feet. Never tried trhowing it all out or the putter either, so not sure. Although I throw the putter on a 150 foot hook hole to get it to the basket.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Postby AcesAZ » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:55 pm

TOURNEYPLAYER wrote:since none of the experts are weighing in.

I would say a river is a great beginner disc, 170ish. stay away from Rpro Bosses, they beat too quick and will then just burn. headwinds, i would say a champ banshee. I think you should get some leopards, and teebirds as well. a Buzzz or Roc, depending on which feels better to to you. if you liked the sidewinder why not try a star valkyrie 168 or so.

I wrote down Roc and Teebird actually before as ones I was looking at. Also skeeter and Leopard and Aviar Yeti putter. Then I started researching the Halo and River plus a ton more.

Do you play the same weights throughout the bag? Driver, Midranges, putter? I dont know what the Shark mirange weighed or Magnet putter I was using. I like the putter but i'd like one that glides some more too, lighter = more glide? Heavier more stble less glide? I assume. Do you try and stay in one weight range like 170-175? mid to upper 160's seemed fine but not into the wind. Will 175 gram be more stable into wind and not be effected as much.

I guess the thing is I just havent thrown many discs yet and nothing over 169 either. I do like the heavier weights.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Postby coldy13 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:05 pm

Aviar, Roc, Leopard, and Teebird should cover almost every shot you need. You can get a halo or any other fast overstable disc for long shots and strong headwinds, but a heavy teebird should do fine in mild winds. For tailwinds/no wind long shots you might want something like a Lat64 Vision so you can have it flip up and go straight with minimal/no fade, or even finish the opposite way if you want, also fun to try rollers with. I like max weight mids and putters, and 160 to max weight drivers depending on the disc.
Sinus AP-Magic-River-XXX-Striker-Vision-Halo
coldy13
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: striker

Postby Timko » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:56 am

Generally, heavier weights drop out of the air a bit faster (less glide) but are less affected in flight by wind.

Any of the slower discs are good to learn how the game as play as well as how to shape shots. Leopard, Teebird, Eagle, Gazelle, Cheetah (if you're looking for Innova branded discs) are all good places to start. Rocs are a great midrange that season well. They'll start out overstable (fading left with little right turn) and eventually break into be straight, then start to turn right.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby AcesAZ » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:42 pm

Thx for the relpies, played today again, 5-15 MPH wind, I noticed that downwind the Boss seems to not go as far as into or no wind for me. Getting 300-325 into wind on open holes throwing a slight anny s turn. Downwind the wind knocks it down on holes I should probably reach 325-350' par 3's. Thinking that either throw it higher or play a slower spped like 5-7 lighter disc with more glide, or both? High anny flip, hyzer flip for downwind, which is better to play for max distance? Tried a star plastic disc Wraith couple times and didnt like it, lot less grip and slipped out of my hand early, (not use to it?). What other brands have good grippy plastic similar to DX or R-Pro Innova?
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Postby coldy13 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:08 am

The leopard or river is great for the downwind shot you want, so is the Vision but it's faster and might not be as consistent for you since it's a bit pickier about the release angle. You can make that shot with a boss, but you'll need to throw it a lot harder, or put more anny and nose down on it which will need a lot of height and room side to side. For max D I like to hyzer flip my Vision or a low 160's SOLF with a tailwind, it's a straighter shot than a big anny. Even with 300'-350' of power in no wind you can easily get 400+ with a good tailwind as long as you can keep the nose down.
coldy13
Tree Magnet

Postby AcesAZ » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:31 pm

Heres what I went with, just ordered today.

Magic SS 173
Dart Rpro 170
MD2 P 172
Teebird DX 171
River GL 172
DD2 P 172
Last edited by AcesAZ on Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Postby AcesAZ » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:18 pm

If I were to add a disc to those 6 what would you get? I figure those should cover all distances pretty well. Maybe an understable mid like Fuse?
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Postby coldy13 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:53 am

You could try one but I don't even throw my mids anymore. The Magic and River have the understable shots covered. I'm more consistent powering down a driver than throwing a mid hard so I just stopped throwing them. I don't know anything about the MD2 or DD2, but it looks like you're missing a really overstable disc like a XXX for the windy days.
coldy13
Tree Magnet

Postby Ironhide » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:54 am

coldy13 wrote:You could try one but I don't even throw my mids anymore. The Magic and River have the understable shots covered. I'm more consistent powering down a driver than throwing a mid hard so I just stopped throwing them. I don't know anything about the MD2 or DD2, but it looks like you're missing a really overstable disc like a XXX for the windy days.

Isn't an XXX for a beginner a little I guess 'extreme' of an overstable disc? I know it's all subjective, but is there something that would be a little more 'forgiving'. Only reason I'm asking is cause I'm looking for a 'windy disc' and I'm a beginner. :P
My Bag: DX - Aviar Putter - 170g & 175g | DX - Shark - 168g | DX - Roc - 168g & 175g | Pro-D Buzz - 170g | Champion - Leopard - 171g | Star - Teebird(TL) - 171g | DX/Star - Sidewinder - 168g/171g | DX - Beast - 170g
Ironhide
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc & Shark

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:15 am

You should get a DX banshee or Firebird for those wind shots. Probably shouldn't really mess with the DD2 or a Halo that much yet.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby AcesAZ » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:23 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:You should get a DX banshee or Firebird for those wind shots. Probably shouldn't really mess with the DD2 or a Halo that much yet.

How much further would a Banshee or Firebird go compared to the Teebird I bought (havent got yet) if I max out a Boss at 300-325 into wind or no wind,I cant throw it downwind far, not enough speed I figured. I know my technique still isnt the greatest yet, I threw a buddies worn in XL 173 disc few times. Alot easier to control and throw far (I really liked it), but not as far as a Boss, maybe 20 feet shorter for me. How about a PD compared to Banshee or Firebird? I did overturn the Boss into a 20-25 MPH headwind a few times turned right and kept going, need something a little more stable I suppose for the higher headwinds.

So Teebird to FB, Banshee and PD.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to General Discussion