Sports Psychology...and Putting...

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Sports Psychology...and Putting...

Postby JHern » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:18 pm

7ontheline wrote:...I try to ask every good putter I play with how they do it...they don't think about anything or not much like one little key word or link in a chain and the rest is muscle memory. Recording all your shots, distances, percentages, etc (think too much) seems the opposite of their approach.

I've thought about this, as well. And it's probably at least partly true. But I can't help it, I'm a thinker. But I do need to learn how to find that Zen-like place for putting, I'm certain of that. I'll get there.

The most intense advice I ever heard was from Dave Greenwell, who said you should spend more time practicing putting than you do playing rounds. That's commitment!

Anyways, I know this is a slump. But it sucks. I hate slumps! :evil: Thanks to all for chiming in, and reminding me of the important lessons I tend to forget with time...
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:12 am

I practice putting more than I play rounds but that is b/c I can putt out back at my house easier than I can go play a round.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby victorb » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:19 am

Frank Delicious wrote:I practice putting more than I play rounds but that is b/c I can putt out back at my house easier than I can go play a round.

I do just about the same, I get to practice putt/throw 1-2 times a week, and get to play maybe 2 rounds a week. Putting in my backyard for 30 minutes is still easy enough with my little boy at home. I wish my backyard was bigger so I could legitimately practice throwing with my midranges. Still have to do that at the course.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Previous

Return to General Discussion