Weight and disc selection, Beginner advice

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Weight and disc selection, Beginner advice

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:23 pm

not any further, probably shorter but those discs are true stable and will fight the wind and be consistent.

also stop throwing the boss.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby AcesAZ » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:13 pm

I will as sson as I get the discs I ordered. Looking forward to the teebird to see how it fights the headwinds and go from there. Typically how far should one throw a teebird flat ground no wind before stepping into faster speeds? I definitly throw the sidewinder further and more accuratly no wind, just glides with a little anny all the way, can power down too for the 240-280 shots. The boss I have to throw flat out all the time to get it to work. Into wind is another story, sidewinder sucks. Taking a few days off, strained Right ACL. Hopefully its not an on going injury.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Shark

Postby JR » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:23 am

You should test the discs you ordered before even thinking of new discs. The DD2 may just be enough in headwinds with your power. Maybe.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby AcesAZ » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:02 am

Several rounds in with the new discs tuned up, Blue Ribbon and Bryant Park. Technique has been tweaked a little to get rid of some OAT. Getting 400+ max D now with the DD2. Usually 350-375 or so avg. River is stupid stable straight and easy, same with MD2 and Teebird, all are great on par 3's. Rpro Dart is garbage, maybe use it for downwind long putts. Feels like a limp POS, super glidey. Magic SS is very nice. Made 7 putts in 1 round over 20 feet. 1 80 footer too! Still going to play around more with these to figure out if I want to get something different. Game is addicting, lovin it!
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Postby coldy13 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:21 am

Sounds like you have a good setup now, I'd just stick with what you have until they get beat, then if you liked the disc get a new one or try out something else for that spot.

Don't be like me with 50-100 discs and 2 bags sitting at home, it's good to have backups but don't go overboard. I used to bring 10-15discs and probably 10 different molds to the course. I don't even bring my bag anymore, I just keep ~10 discs in my car and grab 3-5 depending on what course and the wind. I score better and more consistently playing with less discs.
Sinus AP-Magic-River-XXX-Striker-Vision-Halo
coldy13
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: striker

Postby Ironhide » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:02 pm

AcesAZ wrote:Several rounds in with the new discs tuned up, Blue Ribbon and Bryant Park. Technique has been tweaked a little to get rid of some OAT. Getting 400+ max D now with the DD2. Usually 350-375 or so avg. River is stupid stable straight and easy, same with MD2 and Teebird, all are great on par 3's. Rpro Dart is garbage, maybe use it for downwind long putts. Feels like a limp POS, super glidey. Magic SS is very nice. Made 7 putts in 1 round over 20 feet. 1 80 footer too! Still going to play around more with these to figure out if I want to get something different. Game is addicting, lovin it!

How do you like your DD2 and River compared to your Teebird? Been kind of eyeing those two, but not sure if it's worth the gamble cause they cost a little more.
My Bag: DX - Aviar Putter - 170g & 175g | DX - Shark - 168g | DX - Roc - 168g & 175g | Pro-D Buzz - 170g | Champion - Leopard - 171g | Star - Teebird(TL) - 171g | DX/Star - Sidewinder - 168g/171g | DX - Beast - 170g
Ironhide
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc & Shark

Postby AcesAZ » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:16 pm

The DD2 is sweet. Throw a little flex S with it, just wait for it to hook up for all out distance. Of course the DD2 is an ultra fast distance driver, got to throw some heat to make it work. River is sweet too though, probably a tad more LSS or fade then the Teebird (need to tune the River some more). I throw the Teebird more often, seems to hold its line longer weather annyed or hyzered. In fact I just got back from the course and ACED the 11th at Ham Lake with it, 255', light wind, threw a low level laser, skipped right before the basket, nicked off a tree right in!!! 1st Ace ever, of course Ive only been playing 3 weeks, LOL

I would say right now I like the Teebird over the River but I still havent thrown enough with both yet to get a real good opinion. The DD2 is sweet for a distance driver.

Just ordered up a Pro Roc 176 gram and DD Hysteria P-line 171 gram for wind fighting/all around. We'll be able to compare the DD2 and DD in a week or so.
Last edited by AcesAZ on Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Postby AcesAZ » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:26 pm

coldy13 wrote:Sounds like you have a good setup now, I'd just stick with what you have until they get beat, then if you liked the disc get a new one or try out something else for that spot.

Don't be like me with 50-100 discs and 2 bags sitting at home, it's good to have backups but don't go overboard. I used to bring 10-15discs and probably 10 different molds to the course. I don't even bring my bag anymore, I just keep ~10 discs in my car and grab 3-5 depending on what course and the wind. I score better and more consistently playing with less discs.

Agree, Im not going to carry more then 7-8 discs, I did order a P-line DD for hopefully consistent accurate distance drives/wind fighter. Also Im not super thrilled with the MD2, bought a Pro Roc to try out for the midrange slot. I might take out the rpro dart. I hate it and maybe throw it once a round, really no need for it. Need to tune the river more to see if I can get it to do more what I want, high turnover disc. Still need to throw it more too.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Postby Ironhide » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:25 pm

AcesAZ wrote:The DD2 is sweet. Throw a little flex S with it, just wait for it to hook up for all out distance. Of course the DD2 is an ultra fast distance driver, got to throw some heat to make it work. River is sweet too though, probably a tad more LSS or fade then the Teebird (need to tune the River some more). I throw the Teebird more often, seems to hold its line longer weather annyed or hyzered. In fact I just got back from the course and ACED the 11th at Ham Lake with it, 255', light wind, threw a low level laser, skipped right before the basket, nicked off a tree right in!!! 1st Ace ever, of course Ive only been playing 3 weeks, LOL

I would say right now I like the Teebird over the River but I still havent thrown enough with both yet to get a real good opinion. The DD2 is sweet for a distance driver.

Just ordered up a Pro Roc 176 gram and DD Hysteria P-line 171 gram for wind fighting/all around. We'll be able to compare the DD2 and DD in a week or so.

Nice... Think I narrowed it down to the River.... Ham Lake? Didn't know there was a course there, I'll have to try it out.
My Bag: DX - Aviar Putter - 170g & 175g | DX - Shark - 168g | DX - Roc - 168g & 175g | Pro-D Buzz - 170g | Champion - Leopard - 171g | Star - Teebird(TL) - 171g | DX/Star - Sidewinder - 168g/171g | DX - Beast - 170g
Ironhide
Tree Magnet

Postby AcesAZ » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:48 pm

Ironhide wrote:
AcesAZ wrote:The DD2 is sweet. Throw a little flex S with it, just wait for it to hook up for all out distance. Of course the DD2 is an ultra fast distance driver, got to throw some heat to make it work. River is sweet too though, probably a tad more LSS or fade then the Teebird (need to tune the River some more). I throw the Teebird more often, seems to hold its line longer weather annyed or hyzered. In fact I just got back from the course and ACED the 11th at Ham Lake with it, 255', light wind, threw a low level laser, skipped right before the basket, nicked off a tree right in!!! 1st Ace ever, of course Ive only been playing 3 weeks, LOL

Nice... Think I narrowed it down to the River.... Ham Lake? Didn't know there was a course there, I'll have to try it out.

Ham Lake Park, Its not really that great like a Bryant, Elm creek or Blue Ribbon Pines. They do have 18 holes though, Alot of trees on some holes, Maybe similar to Acorn, overall Id rate it about 3/5. Decent, fun, short course.

You cant go wrong with the River, I probably only have 5-7 throws with it thus far, thats why I say I just need to throw it more to get it more dialed in.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Postby Ironhide » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:59 pm

I'll have to make it up there one of these days. I'm right in the middle of Plymouth Creek/Rosland/Crown College/Bryant. So I typically play those.
Ironhide
Tree Magnet

Postby AcesAZ » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:42 pm

Ironhide wrote:I'll have to make it up there one of these days. I'm right in the middle of Plymouth Creek/Rosland/Crown College/Bryant. So I typically play those.

Have you played any of the courses up in St Cloud? Supposedly they have a couple real nice tracks up there.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Postby Ironhide » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:52 pm

I'm going to school up there now. Plan on hitting some of the courses when it's nicer out... Been pretty windy/chilly lately... Plus with finals coming up, don't have alot of time. Could always right up with me, dump you off at a course and I go to class. jk!
Ironhide
Tree Magnet

Postby AcesAZ » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:48 am

Let me know what you think of them.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Postby AcesAZ » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:55 pm

Got several more rounds in. The Dart is as terrible as ever and Im thinking of looking at something else, maybe an Anode to replace it, no sure yet. I do love the Magic alot but would like a more stable putter for driving and approach shots under 230. The MD2 is truly amazing, I call it autopark because thats all it does from 200-260, maxes out close to 300 on a full rip and still barely turns. Super straight stable flight, very little to no fade. My only gripe maybe that it just wants to go straight, got to really anny or hyzer it to get it to move. DD2 is still kicken and amazing. doesnt handle an anny into headwind (turns and burns) but on normal flat thrown drives its pretty much a very slight HSS turn, less then 5 feet out to 300-350 then small predictable fade or skip left maybe 10-15 feet into the finish. Great disc but too understabe into a decent headwind. Looking forward to trying out the DD Hysteria this weekend. Teebird is super straight as well, but same thing as DD2, into the wind, cant count on the fade, actually today I maybe had a fraction anny on it and the wind took it right 40 feet, zero LSS fade. May need a Banshee or Firebird for that head wind 250-320 shot.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Previous

Return to General Discussion