Disc Speed Question

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Disc Speed Question

Postby mrlaroo » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:12 pm

Alright I am having trouble understanding the speed rating. I have been throwing the beast and I can not get it to turn over on a flat shot so I am thinking I am not getting the disc up to speed. I am throwing FH so I thought I was gettign good spin. I know a more understable disc would be easier to turn but I don't get this whole speed thing. I can throw about 300-325. I have to put a lot of anney to get the beast that far.
So could I get a mamba or something in the range of -3 to -5 turn rating even though they are such high speed discs? I just want to turn over more flat shots and the champ beast is not doing it. Thanks for any advice you guys throw at me.
mrlaroo
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champ Beast

Re: Disc Speed Question

Postby inthedrift » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:48 pm

If you're forehanding a Beast 300-325 with no turnover kudos to you on having good clean form. If you can flick something that's faster and more understable I say go for it. Do you also FH any drivers that are slower and more stable than the Beast?
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby mrlaroo » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:13 pm

Thanks for the reply drift- The only thing slower I am using is the QJLS and that seems to open up a little easier. Just makes me wonder if I am missing something with the lower speeds. I guess I am going to need to experiment with a few new discs.
mrlaroo
Noob

Postby JR » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:40 am

Before my arm got too achy i threw flat shots FH with a 166 Beast to 300' tops. I can't throw hard with my injured arm. The speed rating is a rough estimate that deals with the drag of the disc slowing down it. There is another more complex way of looking at the speed rating which incorporates the turn and fade characteristics. Speed can also be seen to be a power requirement where the disc stays at the same height to undetectable dropping. If it flies flat and that depends on the fade and turn numbers too. The faster the disc the more power you need to put into it to make it fly flat to not drop early and fast to be possibly shorter than a similarly fading slower disc thrown higher.

Another view is to look at the apex height of the throw. A faster similarly gliding disc at the same height goes faster if it doesn't fade out. So when you need to throw far and under branches you will need to step up in speed but to a disc that won't fade more than a slower disc.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:03 am

Is that a true 300' or a disc golf course measured 300'?
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby mrlaroo » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:56 pm

Alright, I am slowly understanding this, thanks for the help you guys. So speed rating has a lot to do with the power of the thrower. I am thinking I am not get the true flight characterestics of my disc cause I don't have enough speed, power for them. I bought a valkyrie so that it one speed class lower than the beast and still has the -2,2 rating for turn and fade.
I went to a football field to throw. I have been playing disc off and on for about 17 years. I never took it serious so what ever worked, worked but I really want to dial in using right disc's and proper technique. Thanks for your helps again...
mrlaroo
Noob

Postby garublador » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:46 am

Joe's Flight Chart gives approximate power requirements for each disc to fly like the ratings indicate. I'd suggest just using that rather than "speed."
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby mrlaroo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:08 am

Yea I finally came across that, some good info. Thanks bro
mrlaroo
Noob

Postby Jeronimo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:54 pm

I thought this thread was a direct question to mike.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby JR » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:38 am

Frank Delicious wrote:Is that a true 300' or a disc golf course measured 300'?

I assume that it was directed at the OP. In case it was directed at me it was full power training field GPS measured 300'. And not at all controllable for anything else than wide no OB shots on the course. My wrist flick lacks power to create enough spin for any faster arm motions. I got such a sore arm that there is no way i can throw like that ever. I took 4 months off and i still can't flick even one shot at medium power without feeling it a long while. I suspect the tendons usually involved in golf elbow got irritated and they take more than 4 months off to heal. And it was not off time from other physical activities.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:16 pm

not you, didn't read.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby inthedrift » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:07 pm

:lol: