Westside Giant

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Westside Giant

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:55 am

So westside has another wide rimmed driver coming out. It's the Giant and the rim width is the same as the King, 2.3.

discuss.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Re: Westside Giant

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:56 am

Also that giant looks like he takes a no nonsense approach to disc golf and possibly life in general.
Frank Delicious

Postby rusch_bag » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:03 am

That one for the turn is scary. Hope it rings true. Going to have to also agree with you about that giant. Good lord.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Booter » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:23 am

its already out frank,been out since april 1st. it is very beefy but not spd2 beefy. maybe closer to a cpd2 with more glide. large diameter,nice dome. i watched zj throw one at discnation 480/500 on a slight hyzer
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby zj1002 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:40 am

Legit flat hyzer lazer. Fun disc

I think it would break into a BOOMER because it had lots of glide at high speed

I can flex it to 550
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:41 am

Well that is good for people who want something to replace their C-PD2s
Frank Delicious

Postby zj1002 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:54 am

if you can get it up to speed it is better disc than the C-PD2. if not, well I have seen a lot of 200ft spike hyzers with this disc on the DN driving range.

It really likes to be snapped. It craves for power and responds to it much better than discs like the Quasar(gulp) and CPD

I really like throwing it on a torqued anny angle because it goes super straight on the anny angle for like 450 before the fade comes in really late
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Dag » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:49 pm

Overstable with glide. I'm pretty impressed with this disc even though I don't have the power to justify using it most of the time. I picked up one (169g VIP) to mess around with not expecting I'd ever have reason to bag it for anything competitive. Winds gusting 30 to 40 mph today and I managed damn near my max distance, uphill, straight into the wind. As long as I was careful with if/when the wind got under the disc, I found it very controllable in conditions that at times had my King doing barrel rolls.
...there was a time when you were taught to find the best disc for you, not the best disc for your situation on the course, which is how they are sold now. IMO, the flight charts are basically there to point out all the stuff you dont have in your bag and why you suck.

Chase Roberts
Dag
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Discworld

Postby NoLifeLeft » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:38 pm

Damn it! I was going to take a break from buying discs.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby JR » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:50 am

I have an overabundance of fast hard fading discs some of which take headwinds without problems. Why should i try the Giant other than supporting a company from my home town? What kind of advantages does it have against other fast discs? I mean a Halo may not take as much headwind but it does glide. So glide in a fast long disc with some wind handling ain't a novelty. How long is it compared to a tried and true wind beater Force? If it is longer that may be a selling point for me.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JR » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Big arm disc that suffers in D against the longest flippy discs. This one does not flip in any wind direction at 13 MPH gusting and swirling on top of that. That speed is measurements from local weather stations. A hair better wind and swirl/buffeting handling than an Xcaliber in Champion. Dependable enough to toss around 4-5 degrees anny into a headwind and coming back with no problem whatsoever. Around the same or a little shorter headwind D as a Z Force although i did not compare them head to head. Less wind neutrality than with an E Spirit. Way longer. The Giant did move a little up and down at times but it did not deviate from the lines. Mine have a sharp flash. So it may get less robust and longer as it wears. Right front headwind flat low line drive was 370' after skips. The skips are around 80 % in distance R>L of a Boss but directed only 40-50 degrees forward and left of the initial line. The onset of fade is less and the fade is less than with the Boss. Interestingly in the 10 throws i got the fade was the same in headwinds and rear winds. That was probably a fluke. So each of these results with an 171 TP Giant are very preliminary. Sidearms nicely. Right front wind s-curve 390'. One of the best if not the best grip tackiness in all of TPs/Gold Lines.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Jeronimo » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:46 pm

I can't really throw it. It's a windy day max D driver or giant (see what I did thar?) hyzer spike driver for me. I cannot make it turn over at all.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby JR » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:53 am

New with flash in headwinds of repiortedly 13 MPH constant more in gusts i can't turn a 171 TP Gian. To anny it i needed an anny release. This is a beefy disc. Better in the winds than the Ape.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby smarkquart » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:16 pm

Short and sweet. I love the forward glide of this disc even when it is breaking into its fade.
smarkquart
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Depends on the month

Postby JR » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:35 pm

smarkquart wrote:Short and sweet. I love the forward glide of this disc even when it is breaking into its fade.

If it did not have that slow onset of fade it would lose a lot of D. It ain't exactly a short disc but for sure it ain't a max distance disc.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Next

Return to Equipment