Snow in Rancho Cucamonga? (Innova Blizzard Technology)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Snow in Rancho Cucamonga? (Innova Blizzard Technology)

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:51 am

victorb wrote:
7ontheline wrote:I threw a guy's orange 139 blizzard teedevil into a slight headwind and it was silly flippy. I put extreme hyzer on it and it still flipped up, over, and burned out less than 250', no thanks!

I'm fairly certain when I say that these discs are not made to handle any sort of headwind.

my heavier bliz destroyers can handle a mild headwind.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby 7ontheline » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:14 am

The two 135 destroyers I threw would not turn on a low flat line and had huge fade... needed some heady for D at my 400' power.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby victorb » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:16 am

Frank Delicious wrote:
victorb wrote:
7ontheline wrote:I threw a guy's orange 139 blizzard teedevil into a slight headwind and it was silly flippy. I put extreme hyzer on it and it still flipped up, over, and burned out less than 250', no thanks!

I'm fairly certain when I say that these discs are not made to handle any sort of headwind.

do they get bounced around a lot? I think that out of all the blizzard discs, the destroyer should handle the wind the best - but I still wouldn't have guessed it could hold against a moderate headwind.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:50 am

they get bounced around a little depending on the nose angle I released them at. moderate headwinds are when they start to break down.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby CatPredator » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:37 am

victorb wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:
victorb wrote:

do they get bounced around a lot? I think that out of all the blizzard discs, the destroyer should handle the wind the best - but I still wouldn't have guessed it could hold against a moderate headwind.

My 150 Destroyers have the stability to punch through straight on ~10-12 mph winds, but if a crosswind hits the bottom of the disc you can get some radical movement from side to side. I've had a few shots that looked great, but right when the discs started to fade, a crosswind blew them 80' farther left than I thought they were going to go. They've got pretty damn good glide even as they're tailing off.

Way fun to throw, but not as accurate in medium winds.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby turso » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:47 pm

These 150g Blizzard bosses are pretty awesome. Indeed just like their heavier counterparts, they fight light wind very well, at least as well as my deflashed FR 175 pink opto Flows, plus they go farther and more easily than the flows.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby JR » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:16 am

No bouncing whatsoever with my light Destro in the mild winds i've thrown them in.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JHern » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:33 pm

Wind is usually bad for the predictable flight of any lightweight disc, regardless of plastic and stability. The decreased inertia makes the disc even more sensitive to nose angle, causing it to lift or drop faster than otherwise, and amplifying the torques that make it turn. Tailwind+light discs offers the promise of max distance, but of course this is not usually a predictable style of flight anyways.

That being said, I do sometimes carry my 150 Blizzard Katana on windy days for long tailwind shots, but the conditions have to be just right (e.g., steady, not gusty). But headwinds or strong cross-winds are a no-no.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Fritz » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:31 pm

The Boss and Destroyers handle wind pretty well considering the weight. I have thrown a friends blizzard boss and go ridiculous distance with almost no effort. Thrown in a tail wind, I wasn't sure it was going to come down. Threw it into a headwind and it started to flip, but regained it's flightpath and faded find. It was a medium headwind. The biggest thing I noticed is when it ran out of spin, it dropped from the sky and got a little manhandled by the breezes. FYI the weight on his boss was 138g
The destroyer was 147 and was surprisingly over-stable. Even putting anhyzer on it it still came out and handled the wind a lot better than the boss. It still had the same issue however when it ran out of steam. Altitude where these thrown, ~4,700' above sea level.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby victorb » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:55 am

I haven't figured out my 157 boss yet. I think I'm being too gentle with it, and it's not netting me any more distance compared to my 175 pros. It IS getting me more distance when I'm throwing big, controlled hyzers though, so I know there is potential. The big hyzers I've thrown with it have been pretty spot on and in the 390'-400' range and I typically get to 420' golf distance with my pros, so I think I just need to be more aggressive even though the blizzard is so much lighter.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:47 pm

Have you thrown the 157 the same way you throw the max weight one and is there a difference?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby victorb » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:37 pm

JR wrote:Have you thrown the 157 the same way you throw the max weight one and is there a difference?

It's hard to tell since it's so much lighter. The release point and the rip out of my hand feels different. I'm just not used to how the release feels since I've never really thrown anything below 167 before.

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby veganray » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:00 pm

150g Blizzard Dominators in-hand. Very Katana-y in feel with a massive rim. Very few bubbles in these, just a few teeny-tiny ones in the rim. Very pliable plastic & seems to lack the pronounced dome of earlier Blizzard. We'll see about flight probably tomorrow p.m.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby CatPredator » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:42 pm

Had some more 20+ mph winds today. My 150 Destroyers and Bosses with medium domes really bomb when the wind is favorable. They have glide to spare. If you're good at riding the wind and can throw relatively smooth and far (i.e. can control the high speed turn on them), they can help you stretch out your D on certain lines consistently. My casual DG buddies who throw <350' and are not sure how understable and overstable discs react to different situations in head/tail/crosswinds were all flummoxed when they tried to use their Blizzards though.

I'm still pretty impressed with them after a month of use.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby JR » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:20 am

victorb wrote:
JR wrote:Have you thrown the 157 the same way you throw the max weight one and is there a difference?

It's hard to tell since it's so much lighter. The release point and the rip out of my hand feels different. I'm just not used to how the release feels since I've never really thrown anything below 167 before.

That can make a difference for sure but are using the same initial angles for hyzer and nose angle? I'd match those at first to see what the difference is from the other changes.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment