MVP Anode - AKA where's our driver? Seriously!

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MVP Anode - AKA where's our driver? Seriously!

Postby JR » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:22 am

Better yet not good enough traction with enough room for controlled drives. the Anode keeps on trucking. Or more like going on rails. Hot shit this is a magnificient putter driver! The best ever for straight drives. Bar none no joke. The first drive i made today was an unclean release and wobbled some then stabilized and kept on going straight all the time. No additional anny from the wobble. Flat release flat flight then fade no problems from user error. Joy!
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JR » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:13 am

I threw my soft and medium 168 Anodes on drives yesterday. Off day and poor conditions. So i can't be sure if it was all me but i got more wobbly flights and a little turn each time. I gotta test all Anodes i have later after i have rested. As it is now based on too little data i'd pick heavy Anodes for drives. A few more feet ain't gonna lower the scores. Vice versa if you lose the ease of the heavy Anodes that didn't turn. I hope it was all me making the 168s turn.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:26 am

Got a round in and practiced on some holes. My first impressions on driving hold. The 168 med and soft wobble and turn around 3-4 degrees for me even with slow first step 8-9' long x steps. The same with medium speed run up. The 175 medium didn't turn each time but did at times so i had some grip issues. The turn was 1-2 degrees so not that far off the line and not always a problem in tunnels. I tried to anny these on holes with varying needs of tightness of turn and some of the holes had ceiling limitations. Without ceilings tall annies of 12-14 degrees can do different things depending on the speed and spin plus power. For short throws there will be flexing and a good bit of turn l>r but the toss has to be good. Long throws keep the anny well at least with good spin. On one hole with ceiling limit i had to throw toward the left edge of the fairway minding powering down enough not to go too deep outside the right bend and still the disc didn't have a chance to follow the 55-60 degree tight bend. On another not so tight angled but early turning hole that is short the disc flexed to flat. So no removing of the Star Aviar P & A for tight annies.

Putting should have had an Ion to compare to. 168 medium for me out of the ones i have. 175 fades a bit more and it drops faster on long throws and ain't point and shoot disc out to as far. 168 soft does fade surprisingly much and it reminded me of Ions. More like a clear Ion than non see through. Last season my putter for putts was a soft non see through soft Ion and without comparing the soft Anode seemed like similar flight or perhaps a little harder fade. The med 168 Anode can fade but from memory seems like a very tiny bit less fading than the soft 168 Ion.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:04 pm

Ok so I finally got a couple of these to really test out and have been playing putter only rounds with one of these and one med ion. I couldn't really figure the Anode out at first, it would fade when I didn't want it to and it would flip when I wanted it to hold a straight line. Some of this was definitely due to me hardly playing but also this disc was a little odd for me. I finally figured it out when I started throwing it like my CE Omega, it throws surprisingly like the slightly beat one I have but is actually a bit farther but less wind resistant than it.

Anyway I'm I giant fan of this disc once I figured it out and it has made the bag for at least a little while for me to mess with further.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Steve » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:52 pm

Still holding out for some glows
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby JR » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:21 am

I test putted 168 and 175 medium Anodes against opague black 168 soft Ion without the sand blasting in putts. The Ion is straighter in putting at all ranges unless there is a lot of headwinds. Interestingly with laser putts and to a larger extent Locastro style into stiff headwinds the Ion and my 169 soft APX flipped and both Anodes didn't. The soft Ion is tackier although still useless in the rain but with a straighter finish and better tackiness i will keep on using it as my putter. The clear 175 medium Ion and the opaque 168 soft Ion behaved a lot better with more rear weighted grip with much less index finger inside the disc with a lot reduced pinch power.

Soft 168 Ion opaque for the win in putts regardless of puttin style for me and 175 med Anode for drives. Grip is an issue at 35F with the med with some early slips although not the worst kind. So the medium 175 Anode i have needs another test with the new grip. It may become even better than the medium i love for the flight not so much for the grip tackiness. I'm liking the Anode and the Ion more but the 173 grip and 168 zero behaved very nicely too better than ever before. So far so good with the grip modifications. Now the plot thickens with the straight, straight, straight putter driver selection. I will explore what i can do to defeat my insanely slick skin but until i get over that hump i do need tacky discs for added consistency. That is the only reason i'm eyeing regular Sole and am interested in max weight opto Pure when they are available. The Anode is a lock in good weather so far but i prefer all weather all temperature discs so that i could minimize the need to switch discs according to the season, temperature, moistness and winds. A pro type medium hardness high tackiness plastic for the core and the Anode would be all round winner most likely. Now the Sole is nipping at the heels.

To conserve my index finger i used the ring and middle fingers stacked on the rim with index only supporting the angles of the disc FH. With my arm not being perfect above the elbow i didn't try to steely stop the wrist and that allowed me to FH putters to around 200-220'. I did not have room to throw in the normal place so the numbers are a rough estimate. Up to now i've thought the Ion to be one of the best approach FH discs out to around 150'. Stretching out farther it started to be too much for my form without trying to maximize the spin on the disc. The Anode was at least as good or even a hair better out to longer distances in the medium 175 version than the best Ion which is 175 clear. I tossed my first Coyote FHs and they were equally inconsistent due to my limited spin and using too much arm speed in turning over. The power requirement of the Coyote is less and it can go farther and the fade ain't much harder than the MVP putters. Drivers worked very nicely with the grip modification and were much more forgiving and better flying on average. But i have to say that especially the Anode med 175 thrown cleanly FH is a thing of beauty flight line wise. Pure poetry in motion. Ion is almost as beautifully flying.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby new013 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:54 pm

where JR said the anode is the best driving putter ever... agreed. when you're throwing a putter 320' on a laser beam of straightness it gets your attention. we were doing a distance comp yesterday after the monthly and at the end i tossed my anode. everybody was woahing and then one guy said, holy shit that thing goes straight.

i've had my S Anode for about a month now and playing just with it I broke my personal record at Kentwood (-11) and came close to my Middle Creek record with a (-6). it has some limitations (longer annys) but on those you just play it safe. it's deadly accurate off the tee, i'm in love.
"F*ck... here comes that guy New013."
new013
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby JR » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:46 pm

Another problem, depending on your take, is that the Anode won't move quickly to the right pushing through anny. It can move a fair bit to the right given enough distance and height but short ranges or ceiling limits force a FH or a roller with another disc or adding another putter to the bag. I've been happy with my Star Aviar P & A for tight right turns including to short distances. Naturally a Rattler and many lids have an advantage in very short ranges against the Aviar when moving a lot L>R.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby rusch_bag » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:05 pm

I decided to try out a medium anode as I have tried the rest of the line and to see if it lived up to the hype. After messing around with it in a field it made me try out the other molds again. I actually could see the anode making my bag for awhile. It pretty much did exactly what I wanted it to do and it was long. It was hss, but not too lss. It made the ion look like a turd and I could make it do anything the ion could ever do. I am still not impressed with the vector at all. It was fairly windy today, and it did no better than the axis did in the wind, and both of the putters handled the wind better than either mid. I am pretty much done with the vector and ion, but the anode is going to stick around for a few more shots for sure and I feel like I need to give the axis another shot on a calmer day.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:55 pm

My anode actually handles wind about as well as my Ions, it's weird.

On another note a small problem I have now that the anode is in the bag. I can throw it pretty damn far and can get it to 275' and out even farther now and then, it is putting it much closer to my rocs and comets than my aviars are.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby JR » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:52 am

Medium headwinds were starting to show problems with the Anode so i'd stick to mild headwinds only for consistency.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Timko » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:25 am

Frank Delicious wrote:My anode actually handles wind about as well as my Ions, it's weird.

On another note a small problem I have now that the anode is in the bag. I can throw it pretty damn far and can get it to 275' and out even farther now and then, it is putting it much closer to my rocs and comets than my aviars are.

I can crush that thing too. I had a tournament last March with some 20-25 mph winds, and I was throwing it 300-320 in those tailwinds. It's amazing how well it stays in the air. in flight it looks more like a fairway driver than a mid or putter.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby zj1002 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:17 am

Frank Delicious wrote:Ok so I finally got a couple of these to really test out and have been playing putter only rounds with one of these and one med ion. I couldn't really figure the Anode out at first, it would fade when I didn't want it to and it would flip when I wanted it to hold a straight line. Some of this was definitely due to me hardly playing but also this disc was a little odd for me. I finally figured it out when I started throwing it like my CE Omega, it throws surprisingly like the slightly beat one I have but is actually a bit farther but less wind resistant than it.

Anyway I'm I giant fan of this disc once I figured it out and it has made the bag for at least a little while for me to mess with further.

it is very Omega-ish

When ZAM got his testers I couldn't put them down. They are sneaky long if you throw them flat and clean.

Next best thing to a CE Omega
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby new013 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:21 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:My anode actually handles wind about as well as my Ions, it's weird.

I'm encountering this problem as well... I'm beginning to have to think about whether or not I want to throw my putter or a mid on a lot of holes where I would of never thrown my Ion.
"F*ck... here comes that guy New013."
new013
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby Ryan C » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:42 pm

Bah, this is hype. They do not fly much farther than an Ion, which are already crazy long for a putter.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment