Jedi's Bag..

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Jedi's Bag..

Postby CloudySkyJedi » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Here we go. Please comment / critique as I'm always looking for suggestions.

Putting putters:
Pro D Ringer 173 x3. Don't know why, but when it comes to putting a piece of plastic in the basket I hit my target more consistently with this disc, so it's in.
Pro D Rattler 171. For 40-150 ft floaty approaches / putts.

Approaching / Driving putters:
KC Aviar 172. Beat, understable driving / approaching putter.
CFR Glow BB Aviar 175. Stable, straight, gentle hyzer.
Champ Rhyno 175. Flat Ontario mold. Mr. Utility. Short hyzers/spikes, short flicks, windy putter, thumbers, Full power driving putter.

Midrange:
Z Wasp 176. Generally stable/overstable mid. Vector wants to kick it out, but I can't give up the wasp's flat buzzzish top.
Champ SuperStingray 176. Frozen ropes, laser beam flat, anny's that hold line.
Titanium Buzzz 176. Hyzer flipper for mids. touch anny's that flex.
DX Roc 177. Beat. Flippy. Understable.

Control:
S FD 175. Straight. tunnels, anny's that hold.
P PD 175. Used on open holes, Don't want to get beat. longer than FD.
C TD 175. P PD for wooded courses, probable tree impacts, Hyzer flip king, Replaced Sidewinder.
Champ Mamba 175. Exteme hyzer flips. quick flipping rollers, mega sky rollers. Cut rollers. Absolutely must finish right drives.
CFR Glow Flattt Firebird 175. Mr. Meathook. BH and FH hyzers. Gale force winds. Fan Skips. Thumbers.
CFR C PD 175. General purpose BH and FH control driver. Tool of Mass Destruction.

Warp Speed:
C PD2 175. For me this is a mix between a Destroyer and an Xcal. can mimic both discs. Good in the windy situations.
Bottom Stamp Star Destroyer 172. Domey, Overstable. General purpose distance hyzers. Gets straight in a mild/moderate headwind.
Bottom Stamp Star Destroyer 171. Straighter flight, lesser fade than the 172 DS. More of a distance line destroyer.
Pro Wraith 169. Ultra Straight from 3/4 throw. Distance turnover if powered more. Tailwind Max D.
Q Quasar 172. General Purpose Max D. Sucessfully supplanted my collection of Bosses in about 20 min... This one is new, but OMG I can control it way more than a boss. Thanks DGR! Might not have found it otherwise.

Are there any holes in my bag? I like to have a full spectrum of shots, but I think I've got it covered.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Anode Rhyno Vector Axis Roc Firebird PD FD Volt Quasar Nuke
CloudySkyJedi
Noob

Favorite Disc: Anode

Re: Jedi's Bag..

Postby JR » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:41 pm

You have more of overlap than holes. The only thing i don't see is a meat hook for utility shots.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby CloudySkyJedi » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:47 pm

I have a flat firebird for meathook/utility purposes.

In other news, after posting my bag I was reading through the other posts in the Bag Critique section when I ran across Blake T's minimalism thread. In about 10 min. of reading I realized my thought process about disc selection has been fundamentally wrong for about 3 years now. I truly see how learning a few discs in various stages of wear will be much more consistent than my previous "spectrum" mentality.

With this in mind my new setup is something like this:

Putters:
Ringer - putting
BB Aviar - approach and driving
Champ Rhyno - approach and driving BH and FH, hyzer lines, windy situations

I realize 3 putters isn't exactly minimalism, but 95% of putts are with the ringer, Aviar and Rhyno are only for counteracting very windy situations in putting. On the other hand, 95 % of putter tee shots will be with the Aviar or Rhyno.
Even though they are all putters, they all have different functions.

Midrange:
Buzzz - various plastics / wear.

Drivers:
TL- straight shots.
Flat Firebird- BH and FH, big hyzers, meathook, skips, headwinds, utility.
PD- CPD and PPD. BH and FH general control driver. These are the swiss army knife of disc golf. My go to control driver.
Quasar- 172 for distance, 175 for wind. Max D.

So now I'm down to about 8 molds, and took the other crap that I only use for specialty shots out.

A re-critique would be greatly appreciated as I am new to the minimalist mentality.

My only question is this, is there a need for a general understable driver? I have a worn TL and a worn PPD that are good for understable lines, but both of these discs are slow turners for me. 1/2 of me feels like I need a quicker turning driver, the other 1/2 of me says beat TL's and PPD's more.

Any advice?
CloudySkyJedi
Noob

Postby dgdave » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:10 pm

I say fuck minimalism if maximumism works for you.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby disc junkie » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:28 pm

dgdave wrote:I say fuck minimalism if maximumism works for you.

What she said
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby JR » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:55 pm

The new bag seems fine and the discs you have are good for annies so no problems. Other than heavy winds and utility shots meat hook is lacking.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby CloudySkyJedi » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:11 pm

JR wrote: Other than heavy winds and utility shots meat hook is lacking.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking speed 12+
CloudySkyJedi
Noob

Postby JR » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:13 pm

Quasar is good for speed 12+. Blizzards Katana and Boss? Low 160s ESP Nuke. VIP King light weight with a lot of dome without a drooping down outside edge. Don't bother with Kings of other shapes.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion