MVP Anode - AKA where's our driver? Seriously!

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MVP Anode - AKA where's our driver? Seriously!

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:43 pm

I def throw my anodes farther than my Ions but I have never really jelled with Ions so that have something to do with it.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby BLURR » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:54 am

Picked up a Soft Anode after reading the high marks for it's distance off the tee(As far as putters are concerned). So far, not all that impressed. My G9i Wizards fly on the same exact lines as this thing. Maybe I should try a Medium Anode?!
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:57 am

How much does the soft anode fade?
Frank Delicious

Postby new013 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:50 am

Ryan C wrote:Bah, this is hype. They do not fly much farther than an Ion, which are already crazy long for a putter.

it's not really about length for me, it's that the anode can be thrown on way more lines than the Ion and it definitely has more glide.
"F*ck... here comes that guy New013."
new013
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby new013 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:54 am

BLURR wrote:Picked up a Soft Anode after reading the high marks for it's distance off the tee(As far as putters are concerned). So far, not all that impressed. My G9i Wizards fly on the same exact lines as this thing. Maybe I should try a Medium Anode?!

Yeah some Wizards can get on the same lines as the MVP putters, i'm so excited about the anodes because if I lose my anode I can just go buy another one. When you lose your Wizard you might have to go through 500 other Wizards before you find another one like the one you had. Anodes have way more glide than the Wizard as well and I'm not sure what distances your throwing these things but I never got a Wizard to go 330' on a really straight line.
"F*ck... here comes that guy New013."
new013
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:56 am

yeah, I like putters that start out overstable in base plastic. In premium plastic putters I would rather have one that is already close to the sweet spot and the anode does that nicely. That and it can be powered down pretty well without getting super stable.
Frank Delicious

Postby Spinthrift » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:38 am

Ryan C wrote:Bah, this is hype. They do not fly much farther than an Ion, which are already crazy long for a putter.

Not so, for me. The Ions I threw were quite stable, and while they had good glide, would hyzer out quickly towards the end of flight. My 170 soft Anode stays in the air longer, with later and less fade.
2012, 2013 PDGA MS1 World Champion
Spinthrift
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Sweet beat Rhyno

Postby BLURR » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:45 am

Frank Delicious wrote:How much does the soft anode fade?

The soft anode I got flies like a soft wizard. Flies straight out to about 290-300 and then starts to fade out gently.

new013 wrote:Yeah some Wizards can get on the same lines as the MVP putters, i'm so excited about the anodes because if I lose my anode I can just go buy another one. When you lose your Wizard you might have to go through 500 other Wizards before you find another one like the one you had.

I was smart...grabbed a handful of the run that I like. So I am good to go for a while.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Dig It » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:55 am

new013 wrote:
BLURR wrote:Picked up a Soft Anode after reading the high marks for it's distance off the tee(As far as putters are concerned). So far, not all that impressed. My G9i Wizards fly on the same exact lines as this thing. Maybe I should try a Medium Anode?!

Yeah some Wizards can get on the same lines as the MVP putters, i'm so excited about the anodes because if I lose my anode I can just go buy another one. When you lose your Wizard you might have to go through 500 other Wizards before you find another one like the one you had. Anodes have way more glide than the Wizard as well and I'm not sure what distances your throwing these things but I never got a Wizard to go 330' on a really straight line.

What sort of ceiling do you need to get a putter to go straight for 330'?
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby LumberJack » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:21 am

Close to 25' or so. Not that I've thrown my Anodes or Ions 330' (yet) but for me to get them out to 290-300' I've got to put a good amount of air under them.
Pure, Rhyno, Roc, Saint, QOLF, Astra, Quasar, Predator

People deserve the government they get. Why? Because they haven't learned to govern themselves.
LumberJack
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby uNicedmeMan » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm

Well I'm giving my 170 m anodes a fair (~month) audition for the putting spot in my bag. Thus far I really like the flight as I have made a few long putts and missed a bunch to the right compensating for the almost non-existent fade, once I start heading directly for the basket I'll be making more. What I don't like are some of the funky bounce outs I've been getting, has anyone else experienced this? Time will tell if they make the bag or not.

O and FWIW, the reason I am giving the Anodes a chance over my wizards for putting duties is because I would like to be able to approach / drive with my "putting" putters in order to cut down on the amount of putters I carry. I only used my "putting" wizards for chains duties because I don't like putting with warped putters and a firm tree hit can bend a wiz for life.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby CatPredator » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:57 pm

uNicedmeMan wrote:What I don't like are some of the funky bounce outs I've been getting, has anyone else experienced this?

I've had some weird bounce outs with MVP putters. On some baskets there's a sweet spot right at the base of the chains, above the ring that holds them all together at the bottom, that has kicked my MVP putters straight back out of the basket on numerous occasions. The damn overmold grips the chains all the way through the rebound of that ring, where my stiff Aviars would just slide down.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby Timko » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:20 pm

You can throw MVP putters much lower than Wizards and get the same distance. I was out at Rosedale last night and played hole #3 in the long right position (http://playdg.com/courses/?s=KS&c=rosedale&h=3. I threw an Annode 8-10 feet off the ground with a 10mph tailwind and got it to reach the bucket on a rope. I would not feel comfortable throwing that shot with a Wizard.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby uNicedmeMan » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:45 pm

Mike C wrote:

Like at 0:41 on that video? WTF! I put my "putting" wizards back in the bag for league night tomorrow as I just can't trust the Anodes when money is on the line... I'm not putting them away for ever but I can't trust them when it counts.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby jubuttib » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:39 am

Just got an Anode yesterday and took it for a spin (third round of the day, I was pretty tired at that point). I'm definitely a fan already, it felt great while driving (though I underestimated it constantly, putting unnecessary hyzer on it) and work equally nicely on approaches and putting too, and feels a bit better in my hand than my IONs to boot. Not switching over totally yet, but I will keep one in my bag.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment