King Cobra and Super Stingray

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: King Cobra and Super Stingray

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:30 am

Trey133 wrote:I'm throwing a chartreuse 179 gram one that is semi flat

Picked up a 176 Yellow, semi flat. It's exactly like you guys are saying. Super straight, tons of glide, and flips a little closer to full power. It's pairing really well with my flat C MD2 and my understable D MD2's.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Trey133 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:17 pm

I'm trying to throw those beat up MD2s man! I wanna taste the D's again!
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Ghandi
Discmania Golf Discs: Reinvent your game.
Trey133
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby keltik » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:33 pm

Dumb questions: was the Sentinel MF based off the Cobra mold? Is the new King Cobra similar to the Sentinel?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:36 pm

Trey133 wrote:I'm trying to throw those beat up MD2s man! I wanna taste the D's again!

Give me a call tomorrow after lunch. I might let you take the D's for a spin. Shoot, I'm out of town M-F...maybe you can watch them for me.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:48 pm

keltik wrote:Dumb questions: was the Sentinel MF based off the Cobra mold? Is the new King Cobra similar to the Sentinel?

Dunno about the original Cobra because i've never touched one. Sent and King Cobra fly totally differently role wise. Sents fade hard King Cobras glide well fade late and penetrate fairly forward while having a definite but not major fade. KC is way longer.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JR » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:52 am

I threw some drives and approaches with both of them in rear winds. I like the Stingray for stand stills better because it won't flip in rear winds and fades less. The power requirement is a little less too so that helps as well. In drives it still works fine. But i added more base of the thumb pressure and pinky up against it while reducing the amount of the index finger outer section inside the disc. My index has probably overextended too much beyond neutral in a false direction and i could not find the brace i made according to the specs of my doc. The added muscle stiffness around the wrist too not just the hand and the fingers lessened wrist roll chances and reduced initial hyzer requirements a bit. It helped a lot with MVP putters aplenty and grip plus zero Pures on drives.

80/20 can help a lot in grip pressure with 80 % in the pinky and base of the thumb area. And it helped a lot with not having pain in my index finger. Putting with DGM 95 episode Locastro putt style hurt more than drives without a lot of index pinch at all. That leads me to believe that wrist roll issues may be only a part of my inconsistency problems with taller discs. With less index finger touching the rim and with a lot reduced index finger pinch against the palm the releases seemed cleaner and especially more consistent. I need to explore this more but the initial results seemed promising.

King Cobra was pain free in headwinds with 80-90 % power. I didn't have enough room to throw the Stingray in headwinds safely with other people around. With around 60 % it behaved but judging by that i don't dare to power it up more without giving it initial hyzer. The Stingray will flip in rear wind drives at high power but i got so few throws in that i can't estimate the power threshold above which it will flip yet. King Cobra rips nicely in the rear wind and actually for straighter shots needs a lot of power in rear winds. 100 % ain't a problem for me but i can't power down a lot without getting significant fade. Not Sentinel kind of fade but not staying in tight fairways either. In tunnels the Stingray has some problems at shorter distances but is still at a great advantage. The Stingray has a no brainer zone for flat releases in rear winds without flipping at around 70-80 % power probably. Full power flips a little but a couple of degrees of initial hyzer flips to flat. Both glide a lot and seemed to gain D from the rear wind and lifted a bit. Not as much as the Coyotes i threw which got insane lifts at times with faster gusts.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Steve » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:46 am

Are they going to switch all stingrays over to the new micro bead rim? They did this to the Aurora ms too.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby LumberJack » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:40 am

I'm really digging my King Cobra. It's max weight, blue and has a mild dome. I typically like my mids flat but the grip on this KC is very comfortable. For me it flies inbetween a seasoned Z Buzz and a seasoned Rancho Roc. It has great forward glide as it fades and is faster than a Roc. In a mild headwind I can throw it flat, have it turn a few feet and fade back. In a moderate headwind I need to start it out with some hyzer and have it flip up to flat and finish straight, depending on the amount of air under it. It has pushed through some hyzers on me a couple times but I chalk that up to thrower error. I aced with it last weekend into a 10+mph headwind on a nice hyzerflip line that faded gently around a tree into the chains. So, it's definitely made the bag...at least for a little while. ;)

Mine still has the flash on it, which was pretty sharp when new.
Pure, Rhyno, Roc, Saint, QOLF, Astra, Quasar, Predator

People deserve the government they get. Why? Because they haven't learned to govern themselves.
LumberJack
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby keltik » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:24 pm

I got to fondle both the KC and the SS today. the KC looks and feels like a normal Cobra. Maybe flatter. the SS I compared to a CMD2 they had in the store and it looks like the CMD2 without the spacer. That is all.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby niuvalleycane » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:08 pm

anybody still using the KC or SS?
niuvalleycane
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Frank Delicious » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:07 pm

The KC is a good disc but lost out to the MD2 for me.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby JR » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:49 pm

niuvalleycane wrote:anybody still using the KC or SS?

I used a KC instead of a Z Buzzz on an equipment test round today and in uphills the added glide showed in D and sideways movement increase. Winds need to be fast to bother this disc. I carried the SS but never threw it because i was doing fine with a Coyote and i saw the KC being nicked by the nasty rocky course.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Jeronimo » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:50 pm

Finally got a chance to test these two out and I gotta say, I hope they stick around. They definitely deserve a place on the mid totem pole of the Innova line up. Everything everyone has said thus far was spot on, they performed exactly as I expected them to.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby GripEnemyS2K » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:19 am

niuvalleycane wrote:anybody still using the KC or SS?

Yup, the King Cobra (in addition to DX Ontario's) knocked the Buzzz out of my bag before the King was actually released - the DX stamped Champ ones are what got me hooked. They have a bit more dome than the KC's but otherwise are the same creature - maybe the TEENIEST bit more high speed turn. Though I hate always falling back to Innova for comparisons, the Buzzz is more Teebird-esque while the KC is Eagle-esque....so whatever flight feel more comfortable for you.

EDIT:: Didn't word that very well...I've been throwing DX Cobra's for a while but never messed with the OOP flat top Champ Ontario's. Caught wind of the fact that the proshop would be releasing some remakes and that's when I fell in love with the KC - not the other way around [with DX].

I have one Z and one ESP Buzzz in my closet just in case, otherwise I sold/traded off the rest :)
Rampage/Cannon | xXx | OLF | JLS | Drone | Cobra | Focus
GripEnemyS2K
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Cobra

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:43 pm

I would agree the KC is more eagle like since it is easier to line shape with them.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment