My Bag. Critiques/Suggestions wanted.

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: My Bag. Critiques/Suggestions wanted.

Postby JeCroisQue » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:01 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'm really curious about which one I'll like better (TI Buzzz, Warship, and Core). I have a feeling it will be between the Warship and the Buzzz, but the Warship will probably win out in the end because it has a cooler name (haha JK). I'm really just trying to make sure my bag is set and I have extra's for everything before I go to the Am Championships on the 28th. I know it will look like Rhynos, Anodes, Rocs, Teebirds, Leopards, Firebird, Banshee, Avenger SS', Avengers, and Kings.

The Warship, Core, and Buzzz will be competing for a spot. The Sword and Blizz Boss will also be trying to make the bag (not really competing though). I'm also trying to get my hands on a blizzard destroyer. Hopefully I can if the trade goes through.
JeCroisQue
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby JR » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:21 pm

That setup lacks something that can turn fast to the right and move a lot sideways. Especially at short range.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JeCroisQue » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:50 pm

Well, for longer shots the 167 ESP FLX Avenger SS can really turn right in a hurry. For a little less distance, I think you might have missed the Beat DX Leopard. I can release that on a spike hyzer and it will flip and turn right. The beat DX roc does have a smooth and sweeping turn on it, but will not turn that hard. As far as a really tight turning disc (short range, i'm guessing you mean 100'-200') the Anode does this for me. You might be underrating the Anodes ability to turn right, however it does need a little room (height or high ceiling) to pull a short and hard turn off.

You're right in that I don't have a disc that will button hook right over a short distance, but to be honest I rarely come to a shot that called for that. It would not really benefit me to carry a whole new mold for such a specific shot. If I ever come to a 150' sharp, tight anhyzer shot with a low ceiling I'll probably just elect to flick a Drone, firebird, or banshee powered down.
JeCroisQue
Noob

Postby JR » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:03 pm

I was thinking of putters from 30' to 100' turning quicker than anything you have. At those distances the Anode pushes straight despite the angles and it is LSS enough to reduce milder angles of anny and ceilings make the matter even worse.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JeCroisQue » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:18 pm

JR wrote:I was thinking of putters from 30' to 100' turning quicker than anything you have. At those distances the Anode pushes straight despite the angles and it is LSS enough to reduce milder angles of anny and ceilings make the matter even worse.

Yea, I mean if I get to that situation ever I will probably just flick something overstable. In all honesty, a situation like that doesn't come to mind in terms of me being forced to make that shot.
JeCroisQue
Noob

Postby JR » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:21 pm

Actually even 15' occurs and even at 30' with ceilings overstable and understable flicks don't usually move enough to move enough sideways at basket height for a putt around obstacles. Like patent pending putt reaching around a row of trees still needing to move right.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JeCroisQue » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:38 pm

Ok, I mean when I'm faced with a shot like that, I'm usually just trying to get it in the circle and make a putt. Not really trying to park the approach or make it in. Also, what do you have in your bag for that shot?
JeCroisQue
Noob

Postby JR » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:34 am

Sometimes you need to attack to save a score and stay competitive or fight for a win if it is the finals so you need to put it in and not just approach. I've made do with a Star Aviar P&A but a Rattler would be a better bet. Or a Whittler for shorter distances. Meaning the Rattler flies as well right and maintains altitude but can be thrown farther without flipping to a roller.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JeCroisQue » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:04 am

A couple minor changes to the bag. Just some tweaking

Primarily RHBH, I'm experimenting with adding a RHFH.

Distance Drivers: Avenger ss- 325/350, Max D- 350/390
3x King- 166 and 174 Tournament, 175 VIP- Max D stable driver
2x Sword- 175 VIP, 173 Tournament- Max d driver, straight with a reliable fade. I have loved these so much I have found that I dont need the avengers anymore.

Fairway Drivers: Teebirds/Leos- 280/325, Firebirds- 300/350
2x Firebird- Champ 174, 173 champ 11x- overstable wind driver, meathook skips, the 11x is preatty beat in and is almost like a longer teebird/ banshee
2x Teebird- 175 Champ (1 worn, one new)- Stable to slightly overstable shots/ drives.
3x Leopard- New 169 Pro, Worn 174 Pro, Beat 176 DX- understable turnover shots/ drives.

Mids: Roc- 250/300
4x Rocs- Rancho- Beat 173 KC Pro, Worn 177 KC Pro, New 175 Kc Pro, 175 champ- overstable to understable shots out to 300'
1x Drone- ESP FLX- 176g- Meathook, utility mid. Headwind shots.

Putters: Rhyno- 200/225, Anode- 220/260
4x Rhyno- 2 170 pro (one main and one backup), 165 Pro for out of the circle putts, 175 champ for drives and upshots
2x Anode- 172 Softs- Upshots and drives

I took out the avengers because there wasn't much room for them. I've been throwing the swords really well. Also the teebirds and my 11x firebird got nearly the same distances/flights as them. Also took out the Avenger SS' because I wanted to see if I would miss them with just throwing my leopards. I have a feeling I wont. So that makes 9 molds for 23 discs.

Going to be trying out Flows, Halos, Havocs, and a VIP King because the tourney kings haven't been a little unreliable for me. They get great distance, but seem to be useless in any sort of wind (especially headwinds).

Let me know what you think, Any and all suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Ps: if you have any of these discs FSOT I am interested in buying/selling. Check out my FSOT thread in my signature. I could use some backups for the Charlotte Amateur Championships. Thanks!
JeCroisQue
Noob

Postby JeCroisQue » Mon May 21, 2012 11:14 pm

Putters: 235/270
1 Wizard 175 soft - Putting duties- need to get some more for putting/driving
1 Piranha- 175 DX- Beat in, Stable to understable approaches, "go for it" shots
1 Zone- 174 ESP- Overstable approaches, FH approaches

Mids: 290/325
1 Fuse- 181 GL- all anny mid shots
2 Buzzz- 176 Z, straight to slight hyzer, and 173 ESP FLX (Straight to slight anny)
1 Roc- 179 Champ Overstable mid

Fairways: 350/375
2 Teebird- 175 Champion, 1 seasoned, one fresh
3 River- 171 TM, 174 GL, 176 Opto- stable to understable.
2 XXX- 1 GL, 1 Opto- Utility shots (OH, BH, FH, Skips, Spikes, ETC.)-better than the firebird from a pure utility standpoint.

Drivers: 370/400
2 Swords- 169 VIP Stable Max D, 175 Overstable Distance- Workhorse distance drivers. Wasn't getting near as much distance from the Halos.
1 King- 166 TP- MAX D- only on open holes or huge anhyzers
JeCroisQue
Noob

Postby JR » Tue May 22, 2012 9:41 am

Looks good otherwise but is the Sword enough for you for longer than XXX hard headwind shots?
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JeCroisQue » Tue May 22, 2012 11:24 am

JR wrote:Looks good otherwise but is the Sword enough for you for longer than XXX hard headwind shots?

That is actually one of my only concerns. My newer 175 sword isn't bad in the wind, but I can tell as it beats up it will begin to turn more. My 169 sword flips and does kind of an S turn right now (not even in the wind). I tried out a Halo for that but it was a bit too much for me. The rim was a little to big and didn't feel comfortable in my hand.

Any suggestions for something a bit more stable than the Sword but not faster than it?
JeCroisQue
Noob

Postby JR » Thu May 24, 2012 7:10 am

Sword is speed 12 on Innova scale i believe. That means it has the same rim size as the Halo so you're out of luck until you develop more hand power and finger limberness to handle the wider rims. It will happen in time and you can train to speed up the process. For an immediate solution you may want to try out thin fast discs or settle down with a slower disc that has a thinner rim. In a headwind that flips the Sword most need to lower their expectations. It is very difficult to remain accurate each time in those winds up to those distances that the Sword can cover. IIRC the Halo is somewhat speed stable meaning in fast headwinds they get flippier and in calm weather they won't flip but do fade hard. Slower headwind handling discs longer than the XXX include the Predator and poppy top Flash. Thin fairly wide rimmed disc that is speed stable flat top Z Flick. Taller domed Flicks are even less headwind handling. C PD is a fine headwind driver with definitely shorter wing than the Halo and the Sword. Force takes headwinds well and some are flat so the wing width around on par with the Sword (i can't recall if they are exactly the same) might be easy enough to handle. So the Force should be at least fondled in a shop. That is my pick being my fave headwind long disc. There is an option that i haven't checked out yet in the heaviest Blizzard Destroyers and Bosses. Destros are the most overstable Blizzard discs. I haven't checked how heavy Bosses are made. At 165 they should take some winds well and be extremely long.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Thu May 24, 2012 7:31 am

Checked out Blizzards and Bosses and Destros are made up to 159 in Blizzard so the Boss can't handle much headwind so the thinner winged flattish Destroyer would be ok i think. The PD2 is probably too large even though it would be a good long headwind disc. That is why i didn't mention it but you never know until you'll hold it so who knows? You should compare it as well.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Thu May 24, 2012 7:33 am

You could also see if you can get your hands on a Giant as well. It is good for headwinds and not that massive in the hand. Flatter Xcalibers may not feel that chunky compared to moderately domey ones.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion