Westside Kalevan Miekka (sword)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Westside Kalevan Miekka (sword)

Postby jubuttib » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:31 am

discspeed wrote:
Jeronimo wrote:You're crazy Mike, Flow = Sword. The difference is in your head.

They certainly fill the same role, but they are not the same disc.
As far as stability goes, it's hard to say because I've only thrown a couple of different Swords...I throw the cobalt blues, and they seem to be the most stable of the Swords we have at CDGS.
It's not huge, but Swords do fly more neutral for me. They both might end up at almost the same place, but the Sword tends to take a straighter path there.

And I've thrown a few different colors, all have flown identically for me. Though I too prefer the cobalt blues, just because they're so sexay.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby 7ontheline » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:48 pm

Back from the dead...

I recall liking the Sword for stable flight on low lines, and just ordered a new domey Tournament to take a second look.

Anyone have a review of how yours is seasoning, or why you moved on?
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby Booter » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:13 pm

^ its in the mail bud. enjoy it!...and the qj. should be to you on monday.
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby 7ontheline » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:56 pm

Its stable like I remembered. In a tailwind today it had a nice fade and will take a little while to beat into a thrown flat turnover disc. It was a little too overstable for me to turnover on a high distance line anny (more practice required) but I remember deflashing my first sword, throwing it into several trees, then it got flippy fast. Into that 10mph headwind stable straight goodness and no worries of flipping with a little late fade close to 400'.

The first didn't has as high a dome as this one, thanks Booter!
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby dgdave » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:34 pm

Finally secured a trade for a couple swords. I may switch it up and try to get a few flows again an do a fliw/sword combo.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby 7ontheline » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:21 am

25mph with 35mph gust and the 172 domey sword crushed with left to right winds, stable with a little fade around 380'. Thrown kinda into that wind bascially the other direction with right to left winds; flip right burn bad 200' roller. Its rarely that windy in Memphis, kept my ce whippet from fading on a hard flat throw directly into those gusts, big wind big fun but the sword is not a big wind disc.

I recently picked up a domey Flow and the 25mph left to right pushed it way right in my warm up testing. That's why the stable straight sword made the bag yesterday. Should have tested back the other direction to see I needed to bag an xcal as well OR throw my VIP Boatman. :oops:

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby dgdave » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:42 pm

Ooooohhhhh baby. These are nice. They remind me of my favorite bosses I was throwing 3 years ago or like a flow that you can really lay on without worrying to much about over flipping it. I had a couple tosses in the 475ish ran which I haven't done for a while. These fly the way I thought the Quasar would.
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby dgdave » Sun May 06, 2012 12:59 pm

Threw these a lot more today. These are Flostroyers. Best of both worlds. I may be in love.
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby jubuttib » Sun May 06, 2012 1:31 pm

dgdave wrote:Threw these a lot more today. These are Flostroyers. Best of both worlds. I may be in love.
Flostroyer is probably the best way to describe these.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby lilmendy33 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:05 pm

I play in Lincoln Nebraska where the windspeed varies quite a bit, I have very fast arm speed and and huge snap forcing me to throw mostly high weight Predators, my sponsor hooked me up with a 170 g. vip plastic sword and I couldn't be happier, I'm used to turning a predator in a tail wind and with the sword I can release the sword at a slight hyzer and watching it slowly flip to a very smooth s curve line with phenomenal glide! I compare it personally to a destroyer but with the VIP plastic it feels more comfortable in my hand without grip locking, I am highly impressed by this disc!!!
lilmendy33
Noob

Favorite Disc: Predator

Postby JR » Wed May 09, 2012 5:58 pm

Welcome. Snap increases both speed and spin on the disc. Added spin keeps the disc from flipping and delays and lessens the fade. Unless you have a bad or beat Pred or top level power i would imagine that your form is the issue with flipping Predators in rear winds. There are not many that can do that with a new good Z Predator with clean form. If any.

I would have knocked my Blizzard 155 Boss out of the park if a bush hadn't stopped it with right rear wind. My TP Sword 175 was pushed farther than normal (maybe it was a good day for me too) and it flew farther than ever with good glide. Last year when i threw mine the last time it lost in distance because i could not give it the power it needs. 400' airborne low line drives + skips mean in calm weather at sea level i get max 420' with longer discs. S-curves add to that. I've thrown other discs consistently farther. High dome high outside edge King, Nuke, Katana (good kind) and light R-Pro Boss. Blizzards glide and go faaarrr. The Sword has nothing on light Bosses and modestly heavier Katanas. Even high dome high PLH Opto Flows pick up so much D on a perfect s-curve (tight anny and apex height tolerance) that it outdistances the Sword. I can put my mid 160s to 175 Beasts as far as the Sword and in some cases a few feet farther on line drives. For me the Sword does not gain significant distance s-curved. For a power thrower it might.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby lilmendy33 » Wed May 16, 2012 5:26 pm

I agree, I can't flip up a predator, I usually throw high weight esp plastic predators, with the reliability of the disc I usually have to release with slight hyzer to get a good s curve with D, I feel very comfortable in throwing the sword with slight hyzer to create the same line with more D on it, a great disc to throw indeed, I have been using this disc more and more weening slowly off of predators, all I can say is love at first sight haha! sorry for the late reply I have been out throwing the sword like crazy! Thanks JR on tips with other drivers, since my break to my return it looks like I have a few more options to get more familiar with out there.
lilmendy33
Noob

Favorite Disc: Predator

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:17 pm

Does anyone else find Swords to fly like faster, longer Valks? I picked up a 169 VIP Sword and gave it a few throws in a field today. My 170 Champystar Valk and my Sword were flying on very similar lines today, with the Sword taking the cake in distance and in the ability to fly a lower line. It was definitely prone to holding a turnover, like most have said, but on a flat throw, it would track right ever so slightly (RHBH) and glide quite well, with a dependable fade. I got mine near 375' a few times in a light tailwind, and 350' in a light headwind. I'm impressed, and I'm really liking this as a faster stable control driver.

Just for note of comparison, my Valk is of the straighter variety - not too much turn, not too much fade - and I could get it out to 350' in no wind.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby chickenonabun » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:42 pm

To me, the sword seemed like a longer teebird, very straight, a lot of glide with some fade. I lost my only 170 VIP because I left it sitting somewhere after a second sidearm drive... It was my favorite disc I've ever thrown for flicks, I could get about 300 with it on a hyzer line, more if i flex it (which I very rarley to with flicks). The one thing I didn't like about it is that sometimes it would turnover unpredictably leaving me with a very bad shot (kind of like teebirds did for me). That was probably my fault though from throwing it in questionable wind conditions. Now I'm throwing destroyers in the hopes that they will be a bit more predictable and offer more flight patters across the plastics and conditions of wear.
Aviars Zones Rocs Teebirds Eagles Predators Avenger SS
chickenonabun
Noob

Favorite Disc: Z Buzzz

Postby JR » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:49 pm

My Sword is of the first run that was a hair more overstable and it is indeed like a longer faster Champ Teebird in flight paths.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment