Disc Golf Study

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Disc Golf Study

Postby Erin Nichols » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:43 pm

Hi everyone! I'm an anthropology graduate student at the University of Texas at Arlington. I am undertaking an ethnographic study on the disc golf community, focusing on topics such as competitive versus recreational play, etiquette on and off the field, and how players describe themselves and the game of disc golf. I would love to have your input! Below is the link to a short questionnaire I've created to gather data on the disc golf community. By completing this survey, you will be automatically entered into a $35 gift certificate raffle to either DiscNation.com or DynamicDiscs.net (winner's choice).

http://kwiksurveys.com?u=discgolf

The questionnaire will take only 10-15 minutes to complete. All information would be completely anonymous and no information will be solicited. You will only be contacted if you are the winner of the raffle prize. Please feel free to reply here or message me with any questions or comments.

Thank you!
Erin Nichols
Noob

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

Re: Disc Golf Study

Postby niuvalleycane » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:46 pm

done, good luck with it!
niuvalleycane
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Erin Nichols » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:59 pm

Thanks niuvalleycane! And thanks to everyone who has taken the survey so far. :)
Erin Nichols
Noob

Postby jubuttib » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:36 pm

You're welcome.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JHern » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:56 pm

It says "survey closed"
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:34 am

yeah I'm getting the survey closed page also.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Erin Nichols » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:57 pm

Sorry for the confusion, everyone. Due to the overwhelming response, the survey was closed late last night. My sincere thanks to everyone who took the time to fill out the questionnaire.

I will get back to everyone sometime after May 7th with an announcement of the winner of the raffle and the finalized write-up of my report, for those interested.

Again, thank you!
Erin Nichols
Noob

Postby andrew » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:28 pm

I imagine questions such as, "How truthful are you about how far you can throw?" "How many of the discs in your bag travel the exact same route and distance when you throw them?" "What's the longest you have spent lining up a throw before bouncing it off the nearest tree?" "What is the proper handling on a throw that is intercepted by a predatory bird mid-flight?" "During recreational rounds on your home course, do you have designated area(s) to pee in/on?" "During recreational rounds on your home course, do you have designated area(s) to hide while smoking weed?" "On a scale from 'within sight' to 'standing on top of,' how close do your previous lie do you REALLY have to be for your next throw?"
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Postby Erin Nichols » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:30 pm

andrew wrote:I imagine questions such as, "How truthful are you about how far you can throw?" "How many of the discs in your bag travel the exact same route and distance when you throw them?" "What's the longest you have spent lining up a throw before bouncing it off the nearest tree?" "What is the proper handling on a throw that is intercepted by a predatory bird mid-flight?" "During recreational rounds on your home course, do you have designated area(s) to pee in/on?" "During recreational rounds on your home course, do you have designated area(s) to hide while smoking weed?" "On a scale from 'within sight' to 'standing on top of,' how close do your previous lie do you REALLY have to be for your next throw?"

Not quite, but maybe I'll use them for the next study. :wink:
Erin Nichols
Noob

Postby JR » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:45 pm

Please take my name out of the raffle i don't want anyone to pay for postage to Finland :-D
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to General Discussion