Predator, Firebird or Banshee???

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Predator, Firebird or Banshee???

Postby AcesAZ » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:44 pm

Looking at an overstable control fwy driver. Not sure what to buy, havent thrown any of the above.

Bag and ability. Been playing for 1.5 months. Play 5 times per week avg. A comfy full rip on my DX Teebird goes 300-325. Driver avg 350 give or take. Anyways my Teebird doesnt cut it, will not LSS fade into a decent wind, actually tends to anny, not a great wind fighter I was hoping. My DD will fade but is too high speed to throw on long midrange lines into wind (250-300). So I need an overstable disc for this slot or for flexing out in certain spots. Looking at DX or FLX plastic. How durable is FLX? How do these compare overall, Ive stuied Joes flight chart already. Just looking for personal input. Maybe throw in XXX as a candidate as well.

Current bag and overall flights thrown flat, full power and no wind. All discs are basically new but have been tuned to my desired flight pattern-

DD2- Slight Understable
DD- Slight Overstable
Teebird- Stable
River GL- Slight Understable
MD2- Slight Understable
KC Roc- Slight Overstable
Magic SS- Slight Understable

All pro plastic except TB and River, 170-176 gram.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Shark

Re: Predator, Firebird or Banshee???

Postby jubuttib » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:47 pm

Looking as you've already got MD2, DD and DD2 in the bag, why not give the PD a go? In S it should be great for overstable control shots at your power level.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby AcesAZ » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:02 pm

Was thinking it would overlap too much with DD? Your thoughts? Does it have a consistent stable flight into wind, hows the LSS compared to the other three if youve thrown them?? Ive read up some on the disc, I know there is an umteen page thread on it.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:03 pm

banshee at your power level or like jubttub said a S PD or a C PD
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby AcesAZ » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:16 pm

Thats the way I was leaning, thinking the FB and Pred might be meathooks in all but a gail, which I wouldnt play in anyways. Plus with the slower speed it'd be more playable/accurate in light wind /cross wind scenarios. I learned early on to throw the slowest disc possible at full rip for accuracy in most situations. Its just too hard to try and power down on many discs without them becoming squirrley. And I dont overpower discs unless wind related.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Postby jubuttib » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:23 pm

Out of the ones you listed I'd go with the Banshee at your power level, the others are too fast and meathooky really. The good thing about the PD though is that it's a reliable overstable control driver even for people throwing much farther than you, but it also powers down really well and is usable for lesser arms without getting too overstable.

The DD is much more of a distance driver than the PD, which is really a control disc, though it can go long too.

The fade of the PD is more forward penetrating than the ones you listed, but it is plenty overstable enough to handle headwinds (I'm currently around 430' of power and almost always throw the PD when there's a headwind), unless you manage to find a freak understable one (and no, I'm not referring to the Freak stamp). Champystars especially seem to be the most neutral.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby discpunk26 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:40 am

If it isn't broken don't try to fix it. You seem to have a good feel for your teebird, get one in star plastic, it will be plenty overstable for your arm but still controllable enough to throw for everyday shots, plus you'll have decent grip.
discpunk26
Noob

Favorite Disc: firebird

Postby AcesAZ » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:07 am

From what I read I dont think the PD would quite fill this slot as well as a Banshee would for me and my current set. I think the PD probably crosses over into the Teebird and DD path too much. Its just a little too fast for what Im looking for. It could replace the TB and DD possibly though down the road? Seems like a tweener/ just not different enough for my current set. I could probably pick one up anyways since Im sure I'll want to try it out eventually.

DX Banshee or Star Teebird? I do LOVE my current teebird, but like I said it just doesnt handle headwinds as well as I would like.
Last edited by AcesAZ on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Postby AcesAZ » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:13 am

discpunk26 wrote:If it isn't broken don't try to fix it. You seem to have a good feel for your teebird, get one in star plastic, it will be plenty overstable for your arm but still controllable enough to throw for everyday shots, plus you'll have decent grip.

This is may be a solution as well. Didnt consider that.
AcesAZ
Tree Magnet

Postby jubuttib » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:11 am

AcesAZ wrote:From what I read I dont think the PD would quite fill this slot as well as a Banshee would for me and my current set. I think the PD probably crosses over into the Teebird and DD path too much. Its just a little too fast for what Im looking for. It could replace the TB and DD possibly though down the road? Seems like a tweener/ just not different enough for my current set. I could probably pick one up anyways since Im sure I'll want to try it out eventually.

DX Banshee or Star Teebird? I do LOVE my current teebird, but like I said it just doesnt handle headwinds as well as I would like.
Probably not, I threw it in because you listed the Firebird and Predator, as a more reasonably overstable alternative to them. Looking at your bag you'll probably fall in love with it anyway further down the road. =)

If you want your TB to handle wind duties, try to find one with a higher PLH and preferably flat. i have an Echo Star TB that would otherwise be great into a headwind (pretty high PLH) but the insane dome slows it right down.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby colombo117 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:26 am

The banshee is a great disc that is reliable and comfy to grip. DX starts off overstable and will wear into a fun disc to throw. A champ Banshee is a beefeater.
Ion Challenger Roc EL/EX QJLS Valkyrie Predator
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby LumberJack » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:42 am

I like both, the Pred and the FBird, but I carry the Pred. Another option with the same rim width as the Teebird is a champ Eagle X, they start out pretty beefy and beat in to be money.
Pure, Rhyno, Roc, Saint, QOLF, Astra, Quasar, Predator

People deserve the government they get. Why? Because they haven't learned to govern themselves.
LumberJack
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:58 am

the latest runs of both champ EXs and star teebirds are domey and less stable than the old school ones. They are nice as they work out to be more like their DX counterparts than before. Like Jub said, make sure you find a flat one with a high parting line.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Jelyman » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:45 pm

I personally like the lat 64 trident for this spot. Love the feel of the disc and it's just nice and predictable. River/trident pretty much is my entire fairway set up
Jelyman
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: River

Postby InvaderMirO » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:55 pm

Jelyman wrote:I personally like the lat 64 trident for this spot. Love the feel of the disc and it's just nice and predictable. River/trident pretty much is my entire fairway set up

River and Trident make an excellent combo.
I also have an S-PD thats not quite as overstable as the Trident but it also flies much further. I switch between the two depending on how much fade i need and how the wind is carrying.

I can't count the number of times that trident has performed like a champ in some 15+ mph winds or when i really need to get around/out of a tricky spot.

Also that GL plastic is just sexy :D
Ion . Anode
Hornet . Vector . Axis . Fuse
Trident . PD . River . Beast
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Favorite Disc: (beat) Star Beast

Next

Return to Equipment