Discmania S-TD Turning Driver

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Discmania S-TD Turning Driver

Postby sunspot » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:41 am

I haven't thrown the TD extensively so I don't fully know, but how much headwind can a TD withstand? Say around 15 mph?
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby JR » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:17 pm

sunspot wrote:I haven't thrown the TD extensively so I don't fully know, but how much headwind can a TD withstand? Say around 15 mph?

It could if you threw it like 300' low line drive power for calm weather. Or 250'.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jubuttib » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:49 pm

sunspot wrote:I haven't thrown the TD extensively so I don't fully know, but how much headwind can a TD withstand? Say around 15 mph?
The stable ones could handle that with only a bit of hyzer, but the understable ones not that much. Well, obviously they can handle it, but you need to start adding hyzer.

That is if you're wanting to go straight, if you want to turn them over and go sideways then it's just a matter of practice, like with any understable driver when thrown into a headwind.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Flipflat » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:02 pm

jubuttib wrote:Yep, the TD is essentially a beefy Roadrunner.

Jewdy wrote:For me the JLS is a slightly understable fairway driver (probably agree with joes rating). The TD has much more distance potential than the JLS. Thrown softly the ratings could be correct for the TD but it can handle more power and would be rated completely different when thrown harder. Think slightly more hss roadrunner with practically no fade.

Hunh, I always thought you had to have like 375-400' power to throw a roadrunner.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby jubuttib » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:42 pm

Flipflat wrote:Hunh, I always thought you had to have like 375-400' power to throw a roadrunner.
Not even close.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby sunspot » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:50 pm

jubuttib wrote:
The stable ones could handle that with only a bit of hyzer, but the understable ones not that much. Well, obviously they can handle it, but you need to start adding hyzer.

That is if you're wanting to go straight, if you want to turn them over and go sideways then it's just a matter of practice, like with any understable driver when thrown into a headwind.

Thanks.

I've decided to use the TD as my primary driver for shots from 350-400, which would be a better complement, Cyclone or Leopard? These are the only two slower FW drivers that I have on hand that's why I list them.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jubuttib » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:03 pm

You apparently have access to high PLH S-TD's if you're considering using them as your primary driver. They're not exactly rare but the more understable ones outnumber them by far from what I've seen. =)

Despite everything the TD is still at it's heart an understable driver, so I'd pair it with something that can handle a bit of abuse. Personally I use the PD. Out of those two I guess I'd go with the Cyclone.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby JR » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:05 pm

jubuttib wrote:You apparently have access to high PLH S-TD's if you're considering using them as your primary driver. They're not exactly rare but the more understable ones outnumber them by far from what I've seen. =)

Despite everything the TD is still at it's heart an understable driver, so I'd pair it with something that can handle a bit of abuse. Personally I use the PD. Out of those two I guess I'd go with the Cyclone.

The numbers i gave were for a flat release no flip and jub is right about needed initial hyzer at higher power levels. I have 3 Cyclones that deviate from the norm according to others. And no good ones!!! Grr. Leos seem consistent.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby sunspot » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:42 pm

jubuttib wrote:You apparently have access to high PLH S-TD's if you're considering using them as your primary driver. They're not exactly rare but the more understable ones outnumber them by far from what I've seen. =)

I'll probably try to hunt down a stable TD or two. I probably throw a predator or destroyer if I need more hyzer or if there is significant wind. I could probably power down on the TD and cover the shots of the cyclone. If I did that I could use the Leo for finesse shots. I'll try it out and see how it goes.
Last edited by sunspot on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby sunspot » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:42 pm

I'll probably try to hunt down a stable TD or two. I will probably through a predator or destroyer if I need more hyzer or if there is significant wind. I could probably power down on the TD and cover the shots of the cyclone. If I did that I could use the Leo for finesse shots. I'll try it out and see how it goes.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:50 pm

A straight TD powered down will flex out of annies earlier than Leo/Cyclone. Including angles from which neither would flex out.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby sunspot » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:04 pm

JR wrote:A straight TD powered down will flex out of annies earlier than Leo/Cyclone. Including angles from which neither would flex out.

that might be a good thing
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jubuttib » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:38 am

Depends on how much you generate spin and power down, in my experience they don't flex much unless you give them some height.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Timko » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:35 pm

I am planning on picking up a TD for a roller. Any suggestions as to what kind I should opt for?
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby dgdave » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:41 pm

A beat one
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

PreviousNext