Grip's [2012] Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Grip's [2012] Bag

Postby GripEnemyS2K » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:50 pm

Vitals:
couple years of ultimate, going on a decade of DG
mostly RHBH, solid FH/OH when appropriate
Distance(s): Ion - 340'+, JLS - 380'+, OLF - 400'+ (best ever was like 460, not measured)

Optional:
male
no injuries
other sport proficiencies: baseball, ultimate, soccer(legs/fluency), skating/snowboarding/surfing(balance/weightshift), yada..

===================

Drivers:
174 Pinnacle Rampage - (only bring out if the course has more than 2 430'+ open holes) < EDIT
165 Protege Rampage - (only bring out if the course has more than 2 430'+ open holes) < EDIT
174 Opto xXx (8/10) - bro.muscles
174 GLopto xXx (6/10) - still beefy, but more Banshee/Predator-esque
174 1.2 M-OLF (7/10) - beating for understability
172 1.2 Q-OLF (8/10) - developing a hint of turn, can't wait to beat her up more
166 1.1 S-OLF (8/10) - Q/M connector...perfect amount of turn+fade...MAX-D
175 Q-JLS (9/10) - workhorse driver
165 Q-JLS (8/10) - ^^^that, just lighter + more glide

Mids:
177 FLX Drone (9/10) - slower overstable duties (rarely use, still beating the other one in)
*178 FLX Drone (7/10) - ^^^that, but significantly less stable (still beefcakes)
175 Champ Cobra (8/10) - workhorse mid
178 DX ontario Cobra (7/10) - understable line shaper..hyzerflips, mid rollers, finesse flex shots, etc.

Putters:
169 M Ion [Eclipse] (7+/10) - main putter
174 S Ion [new run] (7/10) - driving/upshots
166 M Ion [smooth bottom Stormtrooper] (8/10) - "running it" without three putting, utility shots - rarely use

*by far my favorite disc
Last edited by GripEnemyS2K on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rampage/Cannon | xXx | OLF | JLS | Drone | Cobra | Focus
GripEnemyS2K
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Cobra

Re: Grip's [2012] Bag

Postby JR » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:40 pm

Your putters are a weak spot in the rain. For open long holes you need fast bomber discs in speed 13. And with your power none of that blizzard stuff unless it is a 150+ Destro or even heavier Boss.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby GripEnemyS2K » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:19 pm

JR wrote:Your putters are a weak spot in the rain. For open long holes you need fast bomber discs in speed 13. And with your power none of that blizzard stuff unless it is a 150+ Destro or even heavier Boss.

Whoops, edited those in :)

Tried and quickly stopped trying Blizzard discs :lol: To each his own, though (no not from torquing them over, just didn't benefit anything from them compared to any other disc). As for the rainy putters, I agree...I manage to deal with it but to be honest I'm not competitive enough to be screwed that badly. A JKpro Aviar just for rainy days? An X Focus? Deal with the soft Ion's?
GripEnemyS2K
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:43 am

I use a 168 soft APX and it flies like my 168 soft Ion on laser putts but with a hair more fade. The APX still fades less than Anodes which fade like my soft Sole. I will buy a medium Sole because the soft flexes and bounces out from the heart even with slow speeds.

The protege on Rampage won't last. Especially for someone with your power. The Pinnacle works if you don't throw on rocky courses or hit asphalt. I'm pretty sure that a suitable weight Blizzard Boss could work for you. The weight might have to be over 160 though for your power. But then it would overlap bad with your current discs. For a tick more understable and probably 10-15' shorter flights a domey VIP King without a drooping outside edge would work well. It has an added benefit of having a lesser later fade with less power requirement. So it is more dependable on poor traction days and annies needing to move right without flexing. And it saves your power in multi day events and two rounds per day events.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby GripEnemyS2K » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:49 pm

Yeah the soft Vibram plastic is insane, I remember the first time my buddy Jeff threw his at me lol...anyway, soft Focus it is :) I really have been meaning to take my tampon out and start playing competitively, I'm good enough to :shh:

Since I would usually just say "eh it's raining, I'll play tomorrow" I never really cared about using MVP putters, but you're definitely right that I should keep a baseline in the bag just for that reason.
GripEnemyS2K
Tree Magnet

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion