Looking for Pointers

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Looking for Pointers

Postby Skyncanvas » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:43 pm

I picked up disc golf this last September and what can I say? It is almost as enjoyable as crack I would imagine lol So, this is what I have in my bag (well floating in the back of my car):

Drivers -
DX Boxx 156
RPro Boss 145
Wraith 168
S-Line PD Freak 175 - Standard driver
Blizzard Wraith 150 - Best driver I have for an s-curve
S-Line DD2 Frenzy 175
RPro Boss 133 - Best distances in no wind
Star Vulcan 163
Blizzard Boss 139
RPro Wahoo 169
Z Nuke 175-176
Blizzard Katana 158

Mid -
S-Line MD2 Fiend 175
ESP Predator 166
Ti Buzz 175-176

Putters -
Star Mako 180 - My main putter
Star Aviar 166
Soft Magnet 175
Star Dart 168

I am around 275-300 feet with decent accuracy; I can throw a hyzer, anhyzer, and s-curve; and I putt at around 20 feet.

So, am I throwing the wrong drivers for my distance? I have a massive arm but not enough form yet to keep them from rolling over and I suck at straight shots longer than a 150 feet or so.
I am happy with my mid-range discs, but I am open to trying new things ^.~
Looking for something for longer range putts that feels like a mako but a little stiffer with a little less dome.
^mullett^noobie^
Skyncanvas
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Groove

Re: Looking for Pointers

Postby JR » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:54 am

For that distance all but the PD are too long and the lighter the PD the better. Flipping discs comes from rolling the wrist, leaning to the side or dropping the arm lower in the follow through than the initial line. What you need are slower drivers like a Leopard or a River.

Star Coyote is shallower in grip than the Mako. And a great mid to boot. Champ would be stiffer and i imagine you mean longer approaches not longer putts. If you mean putts Spike in Grip plastic. Or DX XD. You have plenty of overlap in each class of discs if you carry all of them but curiously you only have one fairway driver that is very ovestable -the Predator. Leopard and River are better for straight and right turning shots especially at your power.

Do you point the heels at the target in the x step and reach back far? That will give the potential for distance. Actually getting it depends on your form and if your coordination can handle the more complex throw.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby veganray » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:02 pm

Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby Skyncanvas » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:58 pm

Thanks, JR, I will look in to picking them up with the next order. I point my toe, but if I reach far back I dip my shoulder.

veganray...you are suggesting pheasant hunting? With your name, I would think you would be opposed to killing animals for sport.
^mullett^noobie^
Skyncanvas
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Groove

Postby veganray » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:10 pm

You said you were looking for pointers. I delivered. QE muthafuckin' D, son.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion