Blizzard and Mamba. For all the negative people

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Blizzard and Mamba. For all the negative people

Postby aubfaninga » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:09 pm

I read reviews about things on here and Disc golf has to have the most negative participants of any sport.

So many jokes about the new Blizzards. Looks like every long distance thrower is using them :lol:
I love my wrath blizzard. Really has taken about 2 strokes off my average.

About the Mamba... I have a really weak arm. Most of it is due to technique and throwing speed so I am not one that picks up every new disc made. I was throwing my Valks and Beasts on average 330 ft. I found a Mamba while playing last week and decided to throw it a few times. Felt awesome!!! Took it to the football field and first throw was over 360 ft. (hit the fence) I then went 10 yards behind the goal posts and found my average to be around 370 ft. Went back and threw my other discs and was around 325 ft. Disc has since made it back to its owner and I went and bought one the same day. Same results with my brand new disc. 3 of us had Mambas during doubles this weekend and all of us were begging people to try them. Everyone of us weak arm folks it added at least 20 ft. The stronger armed people had to throw it a few times to get used to it. (too flippy) Once they did they were bombing Anhyzer shots to the moon.

Everyone has different skills in throwing discs but if you have not tried a blizzard disc or the new Mamba you might be missing out.
aubfaninga
Noob

Favorite Disc: Mamba

Re: Blizzard and Mamba. For all the negative people

Postby rwmurrow » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:43 pm

Cool that it works for you. I have not seen that much bad vibes about these discs. Just that blizzards will not be useful in the wind. (true) and that mambas are flippy to us stronger armed players. With the right wind and space to work with they could go very far, but they are not useful on the course and don't earn a spot in my bag. That makes them novelty discs and get joked about.

But good for you.
Destroyer,PD2, Firebird, Teebird, Gator, Roc, Challenger
rwmurrow
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby aubfaninga » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:08 pm

Understood.

The only local course we have here is Flatrock Park (Columbus GA) Plenty of open room. Most of the strong armed guys (500+ ft range) have put them in their bag for monster reliable anhyzers. They play Flyboy Aviation alot as well. Lots of room to bomb throws. Too much room!!!! Not too many short tight courses around these parts.
aubfaninga
Noob

Postby pietrocrespi » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:35 pm

Who are you? (I'm Connor...kid with big hair)
pietrocrespi
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby aubfaninga » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:52 pm

Not ringing a bell. Don't beleive I know a Conner, do know a few people with big hair though. Are you from Manchester? Were you at Lake point this past Sunday?
aubfaninga
Noob

Postby pietrocrespi » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:55 pm

No, I'm out at Flat Rock almost every single day though, we've probably played together at one point or another and not known it. I live about 10 minutes away from the course.

Big hair, fat, throw pretty far, decent enough player :|.
pietrocrespi
Tree Magnet

Postby aubfaninga » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:25 pm

I will probably meet you now though. Whenever work has allowed FRock is the closest course to me when I stay at home. (manchester) Usually weekdays between 9 and 1. Usually head north on weekends. (again when work allows) I travel plant shutdowns so I would be bad at trying to set a time to meet and play a round. Love Flatrock! Glad its close
aubfaninga
Noob

Postby pietrocrespi » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:38 pm

Sounds good. I can be out there at any time so just message me on here whenever you may be coming down next and we'll get in a round.
pietrocrespi
Tree Magnet

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:46 pm

The mamba isn't a great disc and is too nose angle sensitive for me to really want to throw.

Blizzard bosses and destroyers rule, the wraith and katana are meh.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby JR » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:32 pm

The deal with Blizzards is to match the weight with your power. Go too low and they are not just meh they are a catastrophe. Katana being flippy by nature is the worst offender when you go below your power too much. A 156 Bliz Katana is a curve disc for 400' throwers. Not too bad curves thus manageable. A 150 Katana is useful only for wide s-curves on wide open holes where it doesn't matter where you land so not very useful.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Star Shark » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:45 pm

I threw a couple of blizzard discs at Sylmar on tuesday. They were both about 135g. This didn't actually present any difficulty in and of itself. The Katana was WAY too flippy as I was throwing uphill and with hyzer and it still cut seriously right on me. The Destroyer, on the other hand, flew dead straight and was one of the farthest shots up that hill I've ever thrown.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby kern9787 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:49 pm

Blizzard and mamba are both absolutely terrible. Until I can get a <100g blizzard mamba.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby aubfaninga » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:27 pm

Still seeing all the experts on here saying wind this and light weight that.

Then I saw a 16 yr old drive a 134 gram blizzard Boss 836' in the cold with 14.5 mph wind.

Before you hate, show the video of your longest drive!!!! Please tell us what disc you use.
aubfaninga
Noob

Postby kern9787 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:56 pm

aubfaninga wrote:Still seeing all the experts on here saying wind this and light weight that.

Then I saw a 16 yr old drive a 134 gram blizzard Boss 836' in the cold with 14.5 mph wind.

Before you hate, show the video of your longest drive!!!! Please tell us what disc you use.

Yeah. A tailwind. So it got blown around by the wind. A lot.

Nobody is claiming that blizzard discs (or lightweight discs in general) can't be thrown further than their heavier counterparts; rather, we're saying they become less predicable because they are susceptible to wind. When that 836' shot is on a course for an eagle, maybe I'll care more. Otherwise good distance comp disc /= good disc golf disc.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jubuttib » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:01 am

JR wrote:The deal with Blizzards is to match the weight with your power. Go too low and they are not just meh they are a catastrophe. Katana being flippy by nature is the worst offender when you go below your power too much. A 156 Bliz Katana is a curve disc for 400' throwers. Not too bad curves thus manageable. A 150 Katana is useful only for wide s-curves on wide open holes where it doesn't matter where you land so not very useful.
Dunno about having to match the weight, no problems at all with 136 Destroyer and 139 Boss for someone normally throwing around 400-430'. If you get a low PLH one then things start to change.
aubfaninga wrote:Still seeing all the experts on here saying wind this and light weight that.

1) Distance throwing has very little to do with disc golf, they're ultimately a competition of who can throw the disc the highest and manage to catch the wind better than others that day. No use comparing distance throwing results, conditions or style to regular golf throws.

2) I don't think anyone has disputed that the Blizzards can go a long way in a tailwind, but simple physics say that lighter discs are more easily blown around by the wind (I don't mean they're not stable enough, just that wind moves them more). If anything the record throw itself is a proof of this, it's not just his power that pushed the disc that far.

3) David Wiggins is secretly 26 and a freak of nature anyway. No disrespect though, but he is literally the biggest and oldest looking 16 year old I've ever seen.

From what I've seen most people here like the Blizzards, if not personally then at least as a concept. The Bosses and Destroyers are great and some Wraiths and Katanas too, but quite a bit of the Wraiths and Katanas came out really bad and are almost useless.

EDIT: And out of the Blizzards I've tested they really do work good in windy situations too, no problems at all with the stability. They do slow down faster into a headwind, sidewinds move them more laterally and tailwinds carry them out longer, so wind does affect them more than the heavier ones, but no problems with the stability at least unlike with traditional light discs.

I just wish I could get 100g Blizzard discs, I still think the ~130-140g range discs are too heavy.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Next

Return to Equipment