Westside Warship (already better than the battleship movie)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Westside Warship (already better than the battleship mov

Postby JR » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:46 am

Session 2 with better traction and longer throwing area yet compromised. I need to retract the longest mid ever statement after seeing how my Eclipse Axis flew. It had a sunken flight plate from storage and i tried to return it to factory original shape. I think i was unsuccessful in a positive way by not being able to pop the top back to as tall as normal. The disc is minimally concave in one part of the flight plate in the middle but mostly flat. An accidental disc is needed to beat the Warship though. Still the Warship was almost as long with only a couple of feet of difference on average. The Axis grew wings and i think it is faster due to minimally lower profile than normal Axes. The TP Warship i threw kept on trucking with considerably more HSS so it is easier and more reliable for me and i may well have unclean releases with the Axis. I like my shorter more HSS non turning and almost non fading Star 180 Coyote more. The Coyote won't stray off tunnels from the fade or the turn if the thrower hasn't missed the angles or given OAT to the throw. The Coyote won't lose more than 10' if thrown high and the Warship goes low with line drives. The Coyote glides better maintaining flat flight longer having a slower cruising speed. If you think of altitude retention alone then the Warship is better with 400' power with drivers. The Warship needs that power to stay at or above cruising speed because it is much more LSS.

Coyote plus Warship would be a tremendous mid pairing if it weren't for the lack of stiff headwind handling. Unless you use drivers for that. The Coyote handled minor headwinds and calm shots better than the Warship being non flipping at full power from slightly unoptimal lie. So it is a no brainer straight flier. The Warship is easy to turn from flat for annies and good for hyzer flips. Both glide well left hyzered with the Warship maintaining altitude better thus going farther left. That is a minus and a plus depending on what you look for. For straight line shots the Warship is at a disadvantage needing more hyzer angle accuracy and at a decided advantage in manipulation and tight turns with a lot of sideways motion. Thus those discs cover both straight and well left plus right shots well together. With skill and low winds both could be manipulated to perform all of those shots alone without ceiling limits. Still the scores would be better carrying both or similar discs for error margin.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby dragfree » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:36 am

I've been playing again for only about 3 months after a thirty-year-plus hiatus. What a great game! And I love how much it's improved with the new baskets, courses, and specialized discs. If I keep loving it so much, I'll probably take my favorite disc with me to the grave. :D

These days that favorite disc is the 174g VIP Warship I picked up a few weeks ago. It flies lazer straight if I want or holds whatever line I put it on, and the fantastic glide gets me about 30' more than my previous favorite Buzzzs. Pretty, too (mine's purple with a silver stamp). And the VIP/Opto plastic feels better in my hand than Champion or Z with just enough more grip to virtually eliminate slip-outs, at least if I keep it dry.

For me, the Warship is such a clear winner that I almost hesitate to share just how good it is since it might improve others' games as much as it has my own! For instance, I played a round yesterday where the first hole is a pretty easy straight shot of about 225' between a tree and a high chain link fence. To avoid smacking the fence, I usually end up putting my tee shot about 15' left of the pin. But yesterday I threw the Warship on a rope-straight line about 4' feet high that finished by smacking the pin right below the basket. No ace, but the most perfect drive I've ever made on that hole. And I could say the same thing about damn near every hole between 200' and 250' that I've used it on.

I'm happy to share my experience with the disc here if it helps anyone else. It seems that helping one another improve is largely what this forum is about -- bravo! -- and I'm glad to have found it. Maybe I can stop in and thank Blake personally next time I'm in Minnesota!
dragfree
Noob

Favorite Disc: Westside VIP Warship

Postby JR » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:00 pm

I like the Tournament Plastic even better due to the better grip and slightly longer flights. Have you noticed that it flies about as far flat and s-curved? Mine do heavy VIP and TP. I did not get as much improvement in distance over the Buzzz but i throw farther than you so the Buzzz isn't fading out early for me. The Warship does not need nearly as much power so i definitely see how the Buzzz would fade early and drop to lose distance vs the Warship. Which is high speed, high glide and low power requirement. It is half a Comet in my opinion and the other half is beefier and more dependable so Comet lover should give it a try as well as a Coyote. They all are great straight long discs. Comet flips easily and the flip is less with the Warship and it flies much more consistently on different power levels with unclean enough releases/throws to make the Comet flip. But the Coyote won't flip as easily at all while being only around 10' shorter on average.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Jeronimo » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:48 pm

VIP & Opto > TP & GL. Just sayin.

Cheaper too!
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby dragfree » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:04 am

JR wrote:I like the Tournament Plastic even better due to the better grip and slightly longer flights. Have you noticed that it flies about as far flat and s-curved? Mine do heavy VIP and TP. I did not get as much improvement in distance over the Buzzz but i throw farther than you so the Buzzz isn't fading out early for me. The Warship does not need nearly as much power so i definitely see how the Buzzz would fade early and drop to lose distance vs the Warship. Which is high speed, high glide and low power requirement.

My Buzzzes fly pretty darned straight for me without a lot of fade, I just throw with too much arm and not enough trunk to get great distance with them! ;^) I use the Buzzz/Warship almost exclusively for pretty flat, straight shots. The Warship's superior glide gets me a bit more--and the better grip of VIP vs Z plastic is a plus. I have a GL--er, Tournament--Warship coming in the mail, also 174g, and look forward to trying it.

P.S. -- Thanks for your post, JR. As a newbie I appreciate your willingness to respond and help me out...it feels welcoming!
dragfree
Noob

Postby dragfree » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:14 am

Jeronimo wrote:VIP & Opto > TP & GL. Just sayin.

Cheaper too!

Isn't VIP/Opto generally a touch more stable than TP/GL? If so, that's really helpful with Lat 64 & Westside, for in my very limited experience their discs tend to a bit less stability than their ratings suggest...at least compared with premium plastic Innova.
dragfree
Noob

Postby Jeronimo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:17 am

dragfree wrote:
Jeronimo wrote:VIP & Opto > TP & GL. Just sayin.

Cheaper too!

Isn't VIP/Opto generally a touch more stable than TP/GL? If so, that's really helpful with Lat 64 & Westside, for in my very limited experience their discs tend to a bit less stability than their ratings suggest...at least compared with premium plastic Innova.

Aside from freak occurences, yes you are correct.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Postby JR » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:42 am

dragfree wrote:
JR wrote:I like the Tournament Plastic even better due to the better grip and slightly longer flights. Have you noticed that it flies about as far flat and s-curved? Mine do heavy VIP and TP. I did not get as much improvement in distance over the Buzzz but i throw farther than you so the Buzzz isn't fading out early for me. The Warship does not need nearly as much power so i definitely see how the Buzzz would fade early and drop to lose distance vs the Warship. Which is high speed, high glide and low power requirement.

My Buzzzes fly pretty darned straight for me without a lot of fade, I just throw with too much arm and not enough trunk to get great distance with them! ;^) I use the Buzzz/Warship almost exclusively for pretty flat, straight shots. The Warship's superior glide gets me a bit more--and the better grip of VIP vs Z plastic is a plus. I have a GL--er, Tournament--Warship coming in the mail, also 174g, and look forward to trying it.

P.S. -- Thanks for your post, JR. As a newbie I appreciate your willingness to respond and help me out...it feels welcoming!

That's because everyone is welcome :-D
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby dragfree » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:17 am

Tried the TP Warship in a field after work yesterday side-by-side with the VIP. Not surprisingly it's slightly understable for me, versus the almost perfect neutrality of the VIP I have. It also glides even a little bit better at the end of its flight.

(I also got a few throws in with the new Opto Pure and was disappointed by its relative lack of glide. It goes straight but drops almost like a rock once it slows down!)
dragfree
Noob

Postby Jeronimo » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:21 am

dragfree wrote:(I also got a few throws in with the new Opto Pure and was disappointed by its relative lack of glide. It goes straight but drops almost like a rock once it slows down!)

Hmmmm... Interesting. This does not happen for me. I've actually be shocked with how much glide they have considering their weight, plastic, and shallowness.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Postby JR » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:31 am

You might have a different throwing speed. Not having a dome means that the Pure won't glide that much at low speeds but launch it at a high speed and it will maintain altitude way better while also maintaining speed well for a putter. Thanks to the small profile creating relatively little drag for a putter.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:23 pm

Any updates on how these fly and what they work well with?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Ryan C » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:31 pm

For me they were laser straight and had a lot of glide. The thing that kept them from consideration was that they are terrible in the wind. They just do not have the HSS to survive any kind of head or cross wind. I think you'll like them a lot if you pair them with something a little bit overstable, like a Pain. Or if you just play in the woods a lot where wind is usually not a huge factor. I personally found the Axis to be similar, but overall much better, because they are a lot harder to blow off course.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby BrotherDave » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:01 pm

I just got a VIP Warship (175) and I agree, really straight and glide tastic. I'm using it with a Pain and a Fuse and basically throw the Warship whenever I want some sneaky D.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby JR » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:39 am

Ryan C wrote:For me they were laser straight and had a lot of glide. The thing that kept them from consideration was that they are terrible in the wind. They just do not have the HSS to survive any kind of head or cross wind. I think you'll like them a lot if you pair them with something a little bit overstable, like a Pain. Or if you just play in the woods a lot where wind is usually not a huge factor. I personally found the Axis to be similar, but overall much better, because they are a lot harder to blow off course.

Both the Warship and the Axis miss far to the side when given one degree of miss from intended hyzer angle because of the great glide. At power the Warship shows the understable (mild) nature and thus people who throw it straight from flat releases get a Jekyll and Hyde experience in the winds. Those that flip the from flat realize the Warship can't handle anything but rear quarter winds well if it's more than a slight breeze. In rear winds that thing soars faaar and straight. Better than most FWs. Only the least fading FWs can compete. The same advantage goes to the Coyote and the Squall too. For me the Axis was easy to mess up with from unclean releases and slight arm plane braking OAT. Not as bad but not on rails type of flight with those problems with the Warship. The Warship has more thrower error tolerance than the Axis. So does a Mako. Mako is slower harder fading and shorter than the Warship. HSS is roughly the same. TP Warship is less HSS than the VIP. I haven't done side by side testing Warship vs Mako and i've gained more D with mids since the last time i threw the Mako. So those are estimates and real results at different times. Not as accurate as could be.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment