Westside Giant

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Westside Giant

Postby JR » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:33 am

Jeronimo wrote:
JR wrote: If the King is flat it does not matter what the PLH is it will flip hard at low power and be totally useless for anything else than rollers or flick of the wrist shots for 400' crowd.

These are my Kings.

They flip more than Bolts.

Yup and the Bolt is useless for me too.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby smarkquart » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:31 am

Jeronimo wrote:I would have loved to watch ANYONE throw a King 450'. Not saying you didn't do it, just saying I would love to see it. I can't imagine throwing a King more than 300' before it hit ground from flipping over 180° and started rolling.

I will be throwing Elm Creek tomorrow if the weather improves. I am planning filming Elm Creek for a different reason but will make sure I get in a few shots with the King. If I can get a good looking shot, I will try to post it.
smarkquart
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Depends on the month

Postby turso » Wed May 02, 2012 11:16 am

Have the Vip giants been more overstable than the TP ones as one would assume?
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby smarkquart » Thu May 03, 2012 10:16 am

smarkquart wrote:
Jeronimo wrote:I would have loved to watch ANYONE throw a King 450'. Not saying you didn't do it, just saying I would love to see it. I can't imagine throwing a King more than 300' before it hit ground from flipping over 180° and started rolling.

I will be throwing Elm Creek tomorrow if the weather improves. I am planning filming Elm Creek for a different reason but will make sure I get in a few shots with the King. If I can get a good looking shot, I will try to post it.

Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_cIEh4DAHg

Holes 2, 8, and 11 were the King and Holes 3, 12, and 14 were the Giant. I also used a Boatman on Hole 6.

I am the one with the bright yellow shirt and I wish the cameramen who filmed me would zoom in on the discs like how I tried for everyone else.

It may be that I release the King with enough hyzer to keep it from flipping. Also, with the anhyzer I release with the Giant, as it flexes out it ends up getting close to the distance I would get with the King. Hole 14 is not the best I have ever shot on that hole, but it is definitely the placement and distance I want when I step on to the teepad.
smarkquart
Tree Magnet

Postby Jeronimo » Thu May 03, 2012 11:02 am

Cool, i'll check that out when I get out from behind this annoying filtered network i'm on.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Jeronimo » Fri May 04, 2012 4:55 pm

WTF? There's no way that was a King... If I handed you both of my VIP Kings and you did those same shots you would have been throwing rollers. I like the look of these stable Kings, might have to try to track some down.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby smarkquart » Fri May 04, 2012 8:56 pm

The silver stamp is the one from the video, but the blue stamp (top one on the stacked picture) often gets about 10 feet more. The Blue one spent three weeks outside and wet most of the time before I found it yesterday.

Both of these yellow ones were purchased from GGGT's previous to latest batch from Lat/ Westside. I also have two blue ones that have similar flights that I purchased last October and November. All of them are 172g. I do not know what more I can say but they are my open field maximum distance driver and I can confidently get them out to 380-400 on that same line almost every time. Maybe the added ink in the rim helped.

Using the exact same power and release angle as I did on Hole 12 and 14, I can get the Giant out almost just as far as the King. I trust the Giant on those two particular holes where if I get a little too excited trying to get power behind the King I might swing them out too far right and clip those trees.

Jeronimo wrote:WTF? There's no way that was a King... If I handed you both of my VIP Kings and you did those same shots you would have been throwing rollers. I like the look of these stable Kings, might have to try to track some down.
smarkquart
Tree Magnet

Postby EL-KABONG! » Thu May 10, 2012 2:04 am

I have some domey finnish stamped vip kings that are pretty stinkin' stable
EL-KABONG!
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: SWORD

Postby dehaas » Tue May 15, 2012 10:31 am

i think i'm gonna dig this disc a lot. i picked up two grayish purple tournament giants in the upper 160s and they aren't unmanageable by any means. i really haven't had a chance to air them out for distance yet, but there's an uphill hole that doglegs right that i play. i threw the giant forehand to get up the hill, and the sharp fade and skip put me in a lot better spot than throwing a rhbh anyhzer that might land on it's right edge and roll back left. threw it a few times rhbh into a moderate headwind and it didn't even think about tracking right...just dead straight with a sharp fade once it slowed down. like others have said, it actually glides very well for being that resistant to high speed turn. the grip is pretty comfortable too.
dehaas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: wizard

Postby mojorisin35 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:16 pm

I hear ya the first king I had was a colorshift pos, 90 degree hyzer and it would flip up run for
80ft then turn hard into the ground and roll. Then I heard of the merlot/belly button / opto king, stable and looooong totally different disc.

Jeronimo wrote:WTF? There's no way that was a King... If I handed you both of my VIP Kings and you did those same shots you would have been throwing rollers. I like the look of these stable Kings, might have to try to track some down.
mojorisin35
Noob

Favorite Disc: buzz

Postby dgdave » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:51 pm

Bump. Anyone keep this in the bag?
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby dgdave » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:27 pm

Does it have a slanted rim?
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby Booter » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:45 pm

not that i recall. it actually felt really good and its large diameter. i saw zj crushing them 450/500 easy.

also..if your looking for some,hit up jmitch on dgcr...he had some for sale a while back
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby dgdave » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:10 pm

Eh... I didn't realize it was large diameter. I've gone one on the way.
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby Booter » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:15 pm

its a good driver,has a good amount of glide and still remains hss and ends with a good fade
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment