Most overstable disc you've thrown?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Most overstable disc you've thrown?

Postby Whiz » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:51 am

I have played with players who can flip Star Firebirds forehand (Billy Dunne, Mike Baranoski, Ricky of the Year). Star Firebirds are probably the least stable of the firebird molds. If you are flipping a CFR Flat Glow Firebird then we need to talk.
E* DD2, Wraith, Glow Firebird, S-P-C PD, TD, Leopard, Roc, KC Aviar
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S Wiz/S PD

Postby mzuleger » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:26 pm

Whiz wrote:I have played with players who can flip Star Firebirds forehand (Billy Dunne, Mike Baranoski, Ricky of the Year). Star Firebirds are probably the least stable of the firebird molds. If you are flipping a CFR Flat Glow Firebird then we need to talk.

... but there's a difference between "can flip" and "can't hyzer"... a lot of people can flip a firebird but if you can't throw one on a hyzer line then you probably have torque issues.

OAT isn't always a bad thing and can be very useful... but that's assuming you are aware of it and doing it on purpose.
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

Postby jubuttib » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:24 pm

Whiz wrote:I have played with players who can flip Star Firebirds forehand (Billy Dunne, Mike Baranoski, Ricky of the Year). Star Firebirds are probably the least stable of the firebird molds. If you are flipping a CFR Flat Glow Firebird then we need to talk.
They're the same mold though, the differences come from the plastic.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Cavere » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:16 pm

Maybe my use of flipping is inaccurate. When I say flipping I'm referring to the firebird turning over in the HSS segment of flight where it does not fade back over at the end of flight. Much like that first video I have to release with a decent degree of hyzer to flatten out to fly straight.

I am looking for a more stable disc not to fix issues but to add more diversity to my bag as my stable discs (bosses and firebird) don't allow me to accurately (yet) play accurately with anhyzer shots.
katana--Boss--Surge--Orc--Monster--Roadrunner--Eagle--Buzz--FR Ion
subject to change almost each and every day!
Cavere
Noob

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Pwingles » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:50 pm

have you tried the flat fb's? in champ and or champ glo?
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby Ryan C » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:53 pm

To answer the original question, I have a freak Opto Trident which is almost comical to throw. I sometimes bag it for trick shots, but it is impossible to throw very far. I have never thrown another Trident like this one. I think its an early run.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby JR » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:39 am

jubuttib wrote:Put it like this: This shot is a ~440' forehand tunnel shot, launched with just a bit of hyzer. The disc is definitely not nearly as overstable as a Firebird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3TXXvgqBXU&t=2m18s

Or watch this, skip to 2:18

You have great power and can really get speed on the disc, no doubt about that. But from everything you say it sounds like you either lack spin almost totally, or you have off-axis torque. A more constructive long term solution would be to work on your form in favor of trying to find more overstable discs.

That is the only picture of me that has been on the home page of the PDGA. Weird because the thumbnail for that video is from the middle of the video when usually the beginning of the vid is the thumbnail. Any way to the point: Check out the final of the Tali Open 2009 and see the same guy, Ville Piippo, drive in the longer earlier hole around the corner. That was a beat Boss and i'm fairly sure the video jubuttib linked was a beat to snot flippy Boss too.

The OP may not have a bad form per se. It may not be a lack of spin either if there is decent spin but immense speed overpowering the HSS of the disc. E Spirit followed by XXX.

A nit: Most stable means the straightest disc once flipped to flat or released flat not flipping. The OP was asking about the most overstable=hard hooking fade.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Cavere » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:08 am

JR that was the point of me asking. I am looking for a disc that comes out of the fade with a decent hook. I have a hard time with holes that dogleg right for this reason.

I will check out a glow firebird because I'm pretty sure I can pick one up locally. This isn't so much a thread so I can maximize distance because even with its turn I can get enough of that with my boss. It's more about utility.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Cavere
Noob

Postby roman » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:53 pm

Just make sure you get a nice stiff, flat Firebird. There was a run of flat glow Firebirds last spring that were beef, but the later runs were domey. A buddy of mine just picked up three champ Firebirds at a tourney in Wisconsin and they are very flat and super overstable as well.

Nothing touches a flat E Spirit though. That thing is almost useless it's so overstable. The Rage by Gateway is also very overstable, similar to a Spirit.

I didn't find the XXX that overstable. It flew similar lines to a Firebird. The flat Spirit I have makes the XXX seem like a glidey putter.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:35 pm

All these people saying E spirit never threw a speed demon
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby A buzzz and a beer » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:03 pm

Z nuke OS for 425+ FH overstable throws.
A buzzz and a beer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby elnino » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:13 pm

yeah for forehand just learn the hyzerflip...u will get control and yeah a beat 12x champ firebird should still fly with just a hair of flip at 400 forehand. they do tend to hold that line so the fade back is very late...a nice straight shot.....

the e spirit i threw was thrashed but not flat either so for me.
XXX
z extreme
whippet X
champ Max man that was beefy.
mutant tridents are hard to find but are also beef central.
Positive feedback 56 Trade
Destroyer=Firebird=Striker=Roc=Wizard
elnino
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird/wizard

Postby Cavere » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:32 pm

I recently picked up a z flick that is super OS. It's not as long as a nuke which is good since the course I play only has one hole over 420'. It's also perfect for 340' thumbers. I am still looking for a e spirit and maybe a shorter range OS disc for utility.

I'm decent with the hyzer flip. It just takes time yo learn how much angle each disc requires. The same angle on one boss to my other can result in water or deep in the woods.
Cavere
Noob

Postby lowracks » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:46 pm

Meteor.
lowracks
Tree Magnet

Postby dgdave » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:02 pm

Concave clear stiff Nike spirit at about 190-195 grams. Also a 134g S demon. Homorable mention are speed demons and z Xtremes.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion