Not pinching too hard with putters and mids

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Not pinching too hard with putters and mids

Postby JR » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:33 pm

I was thinking that this topic touches a lot of disc reviews i have made so i would have needed to cross post a lot to threads dedicated to specific discs to show how a recent change influenced flights closer to what others have observed. Since it was a form change that made some discs behave like others describe i think this is the best place for this post.

I've gone through a lot of grip variations with special consideration for grip pressure from different fingers lately. It seems that 20/80 and 80/20 are pretty non specific ways to describe how one should apply finger pressure with each finger. It turns out that i have pinched the index finger and the thumb so hard that it has lead to unclean releases flipping some discs. One thing i tired was not to put the index finger inside the disc and only letting the index finger skim the bottom of the bead. Three finger power grip being a regular power grip minus the index. No flips. Unless i squeezed so hard that the disc stuck to the middle finger. So anywhere you squeeze too much can lead to flipping of the disc. Eventually i was able to work out how little pinch with all four fingers in the power grip allowed the disc to not slip out early and not flip at all. I have yet to push it to consistent pivoting but i had some successes. Too few tries to say anything for sure yet. There were rear winds all day. I had straight enough shots even without trying to snap fully and pivot the disc let alone stopping my wrist. A deficiency in my form. I ended up with surprisingly little finger pinch power with each of the bottom fingers and i didn't try to optimize my thumb pressure. At this point it seems that control=accuracy and repeatedly benefits from having just tight enough of a grip to not let the disc slip out early to the left. I will not declare success without more experimentation and seeing if greed in also pivoting fully for a full hit is to be left for later.

I did previously try a 80/20 grip with a pinch only as the disc pivots and even that lead to flipping so optimization is needed and it will take some time.

It was fun to see discs fly far with so little effort without detectable wobble. The winds and being on a field without exact known measurements mean that i don't have exact distances and they don't mean much. I need calm weather distance measurements. I think an ESP 178 Comet without flipping a degree from flat to 340' is a good progress from what i had before. a used 170 Z Comet was the only disc that flipped any for me today. I was only throwing sneaking speed x step without a full reach back for accuracy :-) Not flipping my other bane Ion was cool too (around 280 pulled power) and no problems with a worn 175 Ranchero (pulled power 310' line drive and a fair toss s-curve 330') makes me go heeeeeell YEAAAAAAAH!!!!!

What's your story?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Not pinching too hard with putters and mids

Postby JR » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:54 am

Didn't work for tall putters grr.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Technique