Understable Mid, suggestions wanted

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Understable Mid, suggestions wanted

Postby slowarm » Sun May 06, 2012 5:27 pm

Lost today my flat Opto Fuse. I probably just buy a new one, maybe in GL plastic.

But I'm always interested in trying new stuff, so if there are out great understable (not Wolf-understable!) mids that are easy to turnover and glide for ages, please tell me. Roc is out of question, I don't have the time to beat it in.
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: flat S-MD2 (beaten)

Re: Understable Mid, suggestions wanted

Postby NoLifeLeft » Sun May 06, 2012 5:29 pm

slowarm wrote:mids that are easy to turnover and glide for ages

Flying Squirrel is loads of fun to throw.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby jubuttib » Sun May 06, 2012 5:30 pm

I would recommend you beat in a D-MD2, but I think you might have tried that already. =)

Anyway, a seasoned D-MD2 is a thing of beauty.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby lowracks » Sun May 06, 2012 5:52 pm

Z Comet!

I just picked a few of these up and they immediately kicked the fuse out of my bag. Easily my new favorite frisbee to throw.
lowracks
Tree Magnet

Postby Itchy » Sun May 06, 2012 5:57 pm

I use an ESP Meteor for that, but they are very hit or miss IMHO. Some will effortlessly turn right and glide out, some go straight and some turn right and dump to the ground. The good ones are great, but I haven't ran into very many of them.
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Postby NoLifeLeft » Sun May 06, 2012 5:59 pm

lowracks wrote:Z Comet!

Comet aren't really understable though. If you are turning a new Z Comet, that'd be a bad sign.

They are great for anhyzers, however.

Itchy wrote:I use an ESP Meteor for that, but they are very hit or miss IMHO.

I agree. The Meteor is heavily dependent on speed and the ones I've had would fade pretty badly on slower throws.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby kern9787 » Sun May 06, 2012 7:27 pm

GL Fuse. /thread
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby slowarm » Mon May 07, 2012 4:22 am

Thanks for the replies.

Never even heard of a Flying Squirrel, I looked it up and I'm afraid it's too understable. D-MD2 is a great choice, already had a couple of them and loved the way it flies. But D-line, meh, one tree hit too much and it's done. That's why I preferred the Opto Fuse. Don't know about Meteor, never tried one, but if it's so hard to find a good one, I'll leave it be. I might check out the Comet, but I don't think it's right for this spot.

And so kern9787 ends the thread with what I started it - A GL Fuse.

...Next Wednesday is shopping day. There's still time to suggest something.
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Postby jubuttib » Mon May 07, 2012 4:35 am

slowarm wrote:But D-line, meh, one tree hit too much and it's done.
I don't actually agree with that. I think my current understable D-MD2 has about 20-30 hard tree hits under its belt, and while it does bend out of shape, you can easily just bend it back and it'll fly fine again. I actually wish it was more understable, I need to beat it up more or not straighten it out anymore or something. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby slowarm » Mon May 07, 2012 5:22 am

Yeah, this might be a form issue (my form is shit), but both of my DMD2s became a bit unpredictable after (a lot of) use. I wasn't able to trust them in tight tunnels. I wasn't sure how much I should give them hyzer angle. Sometimes they faded hard, sometimes they didn't turn back from hyzer.

My favorite disc is SMD2 (the one MD2 you dislike, jubu!). I hope this will become my goto truly understable mid. But with S-line, it takes ages to beat in...
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Postby BLURR » Mon May 07, 2012 6:54 am

A Z-Comet around 174-175 is a thing of beauty. So straight out of the box. But then a couple of tree whacks and it will be in the butter stage for a while. A Z-Comet is like a fine wine. They get better with age :wink:
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby jubuttib » Mon May 07, 2012 7:41 am

slowarm wrote:Yeah, this might be a form issue (my form is shit), but both of my DMD2s became a bit unpredictable after (a lot of) use. I wasn't able to trust them in tight tunnels. I wasn't sure how much I should give them hyzer angle. Sometimes they faded hard, sometimes they didn't turn back from hyzer.

My favorite disc is SMD2 (the one MD2 you dislike, jubu!). I hope this will become my goto truly understable mid. But with S-line, it takes ages to beat in...
Never seen a D-MD2 that fades hard, not even when brand new...

And yeah, I dislike the S-MD2 like I dislike the domey and stiff C-MD2's. They slow down too fast and hence fade too early compared to the others. They're not what the old MD2's and the good ones of today were all about. Not saying they're bad discs, they're just not what the MD2 is supposed to be like. =)
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby curveball4 » Mon May 07, 2012 7:53 am

TM Fuse
Where did that tree come from???
curveball4
Noob

Favorite Disc: any I haven't lost

Postby slowarm » Mon May 07, 2012 12:01 pm

jubuttib wrote:Never seen a D-MD2 that fades hard, not even when brand new...

Sorry for my lazyness...Didn't mean it fades hard. I meant it fades more than I thought it would.

How about your favorite, P-line MD2. How does it compare to a D-line? Talking about those PMD2s you can get from the shop, not 1st run.
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Postby jubuttib » Mon May 07, 2012 1:21 pm

slowarm wrote:How about your favorite, P-line MD2. How does it compare to a D-line? Talking about those PMD2s you can get from the shop, not 1st run.
The current ones? They're OK but my favorites are indeed only the first runs. I really should change that to either read "orange FR P-MD2" or "gummy flat C-MD2"...

But yeah, for some reason I've found that my new mold P-lines tend to both turn and fade more than the D-lines. The turning might have been a form issue when I was testing, but they do fade more readily. At the moment the gummy flat C-Lines are my favorite neutral power mids and the D-Lines are my favorite neutral (and understable when seasoned) finesse mids.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Next

Return to Equipment