Putters for practice

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Putters for practice

Postby Porsche320 » Mon May 07, 2012 12:44 pm

I'm going to pull the trigger on a basket soon with the primary goal of improving my putting, primarily inside 40'.
I started putting with a champ aviar (came in my starter set), and I kinda liked it. My original plan was to get a stack of DX aviars for practice and keep the champ for round play. I assumed the mold was critical, but plastic difference would be small with putters. My first question is if that is correct?
The glitch in the system is that I recently picked up an anode because I thought the composite design was very cool, and it flies much straighter than the aviar. The aviar has a tendency to hyzer/fade in the 20-30' range, and I'm sinking a noticeably higher percentage with the anode. Now the innova stays in the bag, and the MVP occupies the putter pocket.
I'm not too anxious to buy 4 more anodes when DX aviars are half the money if ,with practice, the aviar will be just as (or more) effective. So for those who have gone through this exercise, is it better to have a stack of putters (5? or 10?), or just a couple where you really focus on each throw? Quality or quantity?

I've been playing less than a year, and only thrown 2 dozen rounds or so, so I don't think I've developed many habits (good or bad).
Curious to hear some different perspectives. Thanks.
Porsche320
Noob

Favorite Disc: Archangel

Re: Putters for practice

Postby jubuttib » Mon May 07, 2012 1:15 pm

A stack is nice, but it shouldn't be too big. At some point you lose concentration if you're just rapid firing your putts. For me 5 would be pushing it, I pay more attention to what I'm doing with 2-3 putters. I also don't know how much good putting practice will do for you if you're using totally different types of putters (Aviar vs. Anode, baseline plastic vs. premium plastic) when practicing and when on the course...
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Porsche320 » Mon May 07, 2012 2:25 pm

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I'm not considering using multiple molds, I'm trying to determine which mold to use. I'm questioning whether plastic type is critical with putters at <40'.

Thanks for the input on number of discs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're suggesting getting another anode or 2 and using those exclusively, correct?
Porsche320
Noob

Postby jubuttib » Mon May 07, 2012 2:41 pm

Porsche320 wrote:I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I'm not considering using multiple molds, I'm trying to determine which mold to use. I'm questioning whether plastic type is critical with putters at <40'.

Thanks for the input on number of discs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're suggesting getting another anode or 2 and using those exclusively, correct?
If you practice with baseline putters your feeling and touch is going to be off when playing with a premium putter, so use whatever mold in whatever plastic suits you best, but try to keep consistency between practice and playing for real. Short distance putting is 90% feel so it's best not to mess up that feel any more than you have to.

It's all a personal preference, but if you like the Anode better, then using 2-3 Anodes for putting practice would probably be the most prudent way to go about it.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon May 07, 2012 5:33 pm

premium plastic will slide through and not grip the chains as well so that is something to consider with the champ aviar.

I have 8 practice putters total but most of them are now the putters I'm seasoning to take the place of my current putter when it gets too worn in and I usually only take out 4 when I'm practicing. The only time I take out all 8, I throw them around the yard and then putt each from where it lands.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby A buzzz and a beer » Tue May 08, 2012 1:01 am

When I am by myself putting I like to practice with 4. When others are around I stick to 3 so they don't have to wait for me to putt them all, most only have one or two.

If you like the Anode better, and you are making more putts with it, then go with the Anode. They are more expensive but they last a long time. I would buy 2 more so to start. That gives you 3 to practice with until you want to drop alittle more money. Putting is the biggest part of the game. Use whatever putter goes in the most.
A buzzz and a beer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby JR » Tue May 08, 2012 1:24 am

Anode does have a tacky outer edge so it doesn't cut through so easily as a pure premium plastic hard slick disc.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Porsche320 » Tue May 08, 2012 7:40 am

It seems to be unanimously believed that putter plastic does matter, and the sweet spot for practice is around 4 discs. That basically eliminates any advantage the aviar has in my situation. I'll add a couple anodes to my next orders, and I should be in good shape.
Thanks for the input.
Porsche320
Noob

Postby JHern » Tue May 08, 2012 11:45 am

Different plastics have different glide properties. I've noticed that, for Aviars, DX tends to float to the basket very nicely, while the same throw performed with Champ or Star plastic doesn't float and tends to hit lower, which in turn forces you to aim higher, which in turn makes it more difficult to putt under branches and such. On the other hand, a floaty putter that misses will end up further from the basket than one that is less floaty.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby inthedrift » Tue May 08, 2012 7:48 pm

Porsche320 wrote:It seems to be unanimously believed that putter plastic does matter, and the sweet spot for practice is around 4 discs. That basically eliminates any advantage the aviar has in my situation. I'll add a couple anodes to my next orders, and I should be in good shape.
Thanks for the input.

Make sure the new ones you get are the same weight as the one you already have.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby Porsche320 » Wed May 16, 2012 11:57 am

I expect soft and medium are different plastics, but what about glow/eclipse? Are eclipse and normal plastics similar enough to use interchangeably?
Porsche320
Noob

Postby jubuttib » Wed May 16, 2012 12:55 pm

Porsche320 wrote:I expect soft and medium are different plastics, but what about glow/eclipse? Are eclipse and normal plastics similar enough to use interchangeably?
Eclipse basically just has a glow in the dark rim. They should fly pretty much identically.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby InvaderMirO » Thu May 17, 2012 2:57 pm

jubuttib wrote:
Porsche320 wrote:I expect soft and medium are different plastics, but what about glow/eclipse? Are eclipse and normal plastics similar enough to use interchangeably?
Eclipse basically just has a glow in the dark rim. They should fly pretty much identically.

from what i have seen the glow/eclipse IONS fly just the same as the regulars, though there are differences in the undersides of IONS (mostly early runs/changes that they have worked out)
unfortunately they don't have Eclipse Anodes out until the end of the month if i remember correctly. May 31st i think is when disc nation gets em.

i use a Medium 175 Ion and a Soft 175 Anode.
at this point i haven't had the Anode long enough (2 weeks) to decide on if i really prefer it to the ION or not. they both fly very similar, probably due to how beat my ION currently is. and i can't decide if i like the soft or not as it doesn't really seem to change my putting or effect the basket spitting out one more than the other.
but they both drive like a dream and that rubbery rim allows em to grab chains well.
Ion . Anode
Hornet . Vector . Axis . Fuse
Trident . PD . River . Beast
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Favorite Disc: (beat) Star Beast

Return to Equipment