Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thr

Postby dgdave » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:04 pm

I'm up to 10 piranhas now. I really live these things. It's like a max weight gopher, just smaller diameter and an equally kick ass stamp.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Grant » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:41 pm

Just received 2 162 Black Rattlers today and these things feel like no disc I have ever felt plastic-wise. The tackiness of these is second to none even in a little bit of rain these hold there grip perfectly. Can't wait to beat these puppies in this summer.
Grant
Noob

Favorite Disc: ESP COMET

Postby JR » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:24 am

Grant wrote:Just received 2 162 Black Rattlers today and these things feel like no disc I have ever felt plastic-wise. The tackiness of these is second to none even in a little bit of rain these hold there grip perfectly. Can't wait to beat these puppies in this summer.

So you got ones made from rubber. Yep they grip well. There are tackier discs than my light blue Rattler but is up there with the most tacky ones.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby pzacch05 » Mon May 07, 2012 1:34 pm

how do you know if you are going get rubber rattlers?
pzacch05
Noob

Favorite Disc: avenger ss

Postby JR » Tue May 08, 2012 1:33 am

Welcome. Fondling them at the store. Plastic Rattlers are slick and hard. Rubber ones are slightly softer and way tackier.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby BrotherDave » Sat May 19, 2012 9:49 pm

I'm thinking really hard about dipping my toes into Rattler waters. I really want a lid ~160 that behaves like a lid in regular golf weights or close to it, so that when I gear down from an Ion I'm not torquing the crap out of it as bad. I'm toying with a 166 Polecat right now but I want something a wee bit floatier I think.

Any particular weight/color/run/plastic Rattler I should look for? Mainly using this for approaches and get out of trouble stuff where I have limited arm/foot room.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby Flipflat » Sat May 19, 2012 10:53 pm

160's on the weight, and from my experience, light blues were softish and feel great. Darker blues are stiffer and feel great too.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby JR » Sun May 20, 2012 10:51 pm

If you can feel up the discs i strongly suggest getting a rubbery tacky one. Mine is light blue. Light APXs fly almost like a lid for a friendlier shape.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Mark Ellis » Mon May 21, 2012 5:21 pm

BrotherDave wrote:I'm thinking really hard about dipping my toes into Rattler waters. I really want a lid ~160 that behaves like a lid in regular golf weights or close to it, so that when I gear down from an Ion I'm not torquing the crap out of it as bad. I'm toying with a 166 Polecat right now but I want something a wee bit floatier I think.

Any particular weight/color/run/plastic Rattler I should look for? Mainly using this for approaches and get out of trouble stuff where I have limited arm/foot room.

The most important thing for any putter is how it feels in your hand. In Rattlers I like medium stiffness, flat-topped, grippy and around 170 grams but then again, I am very picky. Of course, I am only very picky because I can be. The most recent run in bright, robin's egg blue are fabulous. Maybe the best run ever.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby cfair » Mon May 21, 2012 6:04 pm

I really like the one I have. It sat in a friends pond for about a month and it feels awesome. Even at a heavier weight it kicks around like a regular catch disc. I imagine a lot of people who use them use them as a putter. I've been using it more for approach shots and long runs at the basket. The great thing about it is even on long shots if you miss it won't hurt you with a big return putt.
cfair
Tree Magnet

Postby BrotherDave » Mon May 21, 2012 10:45 pm

I'm not super duper picky on feel (slick vs grippy) as much as durability. I just don't want to end up with anything close to R-pro Boss type plastic, ya dig?
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby Mark Ellis » Tue May 22, 2012 5:16 am

BrotherDave wrote:I'm not super duper picky on feel (slick vs grippy) as much as durability. I just don't want to end up with anything close to R-pro Boss type plastic, ya dig?

I'm not sure I dig but I'm guessing you are not fond of R-Pro Bosses because they break in too fast or too much. In my opinion Rattlers get better as they break in.

Rattlers are the masters of the soft, floaty, hovering touch shot. No putter can do that job optimally if it is overstable. So when a Rattler is being seasoned I am not worried if it is breaking in too fast or too much. I play catch with beginners in parking lots.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby jubuttib » Tue May 22, 2012 5:31 am

Mark Ellis wrote:
BrotherDave wrote:I'm not super duper picky on feel (slick vs grippy) as much as durability. I just don't want to end up with anything close to R-pro Boss type plastic, ya dig?
I'm not sure I dig but I'm guessing you are not fond of R-Pro Bosses because they break in too fast or too much. In my opinion Rattlers get better as they break in.

Rattlers are the masters of the soft, floaty, hovering touch shot. No putter can do that job optimally if it is overstable. So when a Rattler is being seasoned I am not worried if it is breaking in too fast or too much. I play catch with beginners in parking lots.
The driver R-Pro used in Bosses can take about 5 landings a on a grassy surface before it starts to be too rough and beat in to be of any use...
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Grant » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:29 am

Had a weird thing happen with one of those all black rattlers a few weeks back. I was out in the yard throwing up shots with it and when I went to grip it my thumb pushed thru the flight plate. I really like the way these rattlers feel but am quite disappointed with the brittleness of this run. Oh well I got a back up of the same run and have started to season it. Has anyone else had an issue with this run?Mine are the in the high 160's.
Grant
Noob

Favorite Disc: ESP COMET

Postby Punisher » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:09 pm

Yes I bought four of them when they came out and have had two break in the past week. I think I am going to stay with the UV Rattlers from now on.
Punisher
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment