Understable Mid, suggestions wanted

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Understable Mid, suggestions wanted

Postby turso » Mon May 07, 2012 1:51 pm

slowarm wrote:Lost today my flat Opto Fuse. I probably just buy a new one, maybe in GL plastic.

But I'm always interested in trying new stuff, so if there are out great understable (not Wolf-understable!) mids that are easy to turnover and glide for ages, please tell me. Roc is out of question, I don't have the time to beat it in.

If Fuse's working well for you, there's no reason to change. It's one of the best understable mids around.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby kern9787 » Mon May 07, 2012 4:13 pm

To be honest, I've never been a huge fan of most understable mids. The fuse or a beat roc are by far the most reliable I've used though. I've had limited experience with onto fuses since I've started throwing gl's, but gl fuses seem to lock onto lines better, having a more gradual turn and a little less fade. Not sure how opto fuses are now though.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby slowarm » Mon May 07, 2012 4:39 pm

turso wrote:
slowarm wrote:If Fuse's working well for you, there's no reason to change. It's one of the best understable mids around.

Yeah, I think I get a new Fuse anyway. I was just asking if there's anything else in the market to try, so I just kindly asked if some of you disc whores would like to suggest something :P
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: flat S-MD2 (beaten)

Postby JR » Tue May 08, 2012 1:32 am

For a test you should try a Coyote if you haven't tried one. It is more HSS than the Fuse and thrown softly it will pull out of mild annies earlier than the Fuse. Both are fairly long mids.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jubuttib » Tue May 08, 2012 1:51 am

JR wrote:For a test you should try a Coyote if you haven't tried one. It is more HSS than the Fuse and thrown softly it will pull out of mild annies earlier than the Fuse. Both are fairly long mids.
On that note, if he just wants to try discs the Mako and Lycan are also great choices.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby DaPats » Tue May 08, 2012 7:05 am

If you feel like trying an understand mid still, try out innovas wedge. It will hyzer, go straight, hyzer flip to anny, and anny on such a consistent basis and it glides so nice. It made my bag right away and no other disc has made it in since the wraith came out.
Wizard-Glow Avair-Roc-Cyclone-T-Bird-Wraith
DaPats
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Wed May 09, 2012 2:27 am

Many Wedges aren't durable. The two i got were shit so i've never experienced a durable Wedge. Mako fades harder than the Coyote the HSS is so close that it could be the same between some individuals. Lycans i've seen have insane domes so no joy in the wind and no joy ever grip wise. As a consequence i've never thrown one and don't own one.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby jubuttib » Wed May 09, 2012 3:08 am

JR wrote:Mako fades harder than the Coyote
What?
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby DaPats » Wed May 09, 2012 6:27 am

JR wrote:Many Wedges aren't durable. The two i got were shit so i've never experienced a durable Wedge. Mako fades harder than the Coyote the HSS is so close that it could be the same between some individuals. Lycans i've seen have insane domes so no joy in the wind and no joy ever grip wise. As a consequence i've never thrown one and don't own one.

What are you talking about "many" Wedges arent durable? You talking about dx wedges? What does durability have to to do with the OPs question? I have a star wedge that hasn't changed it's flight since i bought it 6 months ago and I play on a heavy wooded courses in my area. It knocked out all my bullet XDs out of my bag and sometimes use it over my beat up roc when I need more glide. I've tried the fuse, meteor, and MD2 but settled on the wedge. I have thrown dx, 1st run, and reg star wedges and they all fly the same and are very durable.
Wizard-Glow Avair-Roc-Cyclone-T-Bird-Wraith
DaPats
Tree Magnet

Postby InvaderMirO » Wed May 09, 2012 3:36 pm

kern9787 wrote:GL Fuse. /thread

this.

GL Fuse is amazing understable mid.
slow turn over, very little fade, holds its line well.
great distance in tailwind.
durable/nice looking plastic.
&
DAT GLIDE....
Ion . Anode
Hornet . Vector . Axis . Fuse
Trident . PD . River . Beast
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Favorite Disc: (beat) Star Beast

Postby jubuttib » Wed May 09, 2012 3:39 pm

InvaderMirO wrote:
kern9787 wrote:GL Fuse. /thread

this.

GL Fuse is amazing understable mid.
slow turn over, very little fade, holds its line well.
great distance in tailwind.
durable/nice looking plastic.
&
DAT GLIDE....
Eh, my D-MD2's do all that too, except for the durability. They hold up better in headwinds too. Plus they feel nicer in my hands.

But the Fuse is indeed a magnificent mid. If it weren't for the D-MD2 I'd be a Fuse man. That or I'd just work my Comets.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Mark Ellis » Wed May 09, 2012 5:05 pm

A beat in Z (or X and probably one day a Ti) Buzzz are superb.

I carry 3 Buzzz's. The fresh, strong, overstable one almost never gets thrown. The beat up ones are workhorses.

Most Buzzz shots I want the disc to go dead nuts flat and straight. An overstable disc, even when thrown precisely, will not finish straight. It slows down and bends. When you want a laser beam line, which is most of the time, go to the trusty Buzzz.

God loves you. That is why he made the Buzzz.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby JR » Wed May 09, 2012 5:07 pm

jubuttib wrote:
JR wrote:Mako fades harder than the Coyote
What?

FR Mako is all that i own and Star Coyotes are one of the straightest mids there are when new. When the Makos came out people said that regular production runs flew differently from FRs so i don't know about the non star stamped Makos. How do they fly compared to the FR? I like small diameter but i'm not opposed to large diameter so if the regular Makos are as HSS or more than Coyotes and less LSS sign me up. Although i would keep Coyotes for hard driving with a mild flip of a couple of degrees.

My FR Mako is less HSS than my Coyotes. That is a bonus for the Coyote and i'm no hurry to switch unless regular Makos are more HSS than FRs. I think i hear it is the other way around so i'll probably stick to the Coyotes.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Wed May 09, 2012 5:12 pm

DaPats wrote:
JR wrote:Many Wedges aren't durable. The two i got were shit so i've never experienced a durable Wedge. Mako fades harder than the Coyote the HSS is so close that it could be the same between some individuals. Lycans i've seen have insane domes so no joy in the wind and no joy ever grip wise. As a consequence i've never thrown one and don't own one.

What are you talking about "many" Wedges arent durable? You talking about dx wedges? What does durability have to to do with the OPs question? I have a star wedge that hasn't changed it's flight since i bought it 6 months ago and I play on a heavy wooded courses in my area. It knocked out all my bullet XDs out of my bag and sometimes use it over my beat up roc when I need more glide. I've tried the fuse, meteor, and MD2 but settled on the wedge. I have thrown dx, 1st run, and reg star wedges and they all fly the same and are very durable.

I've heard from others that Star Wedges have the same quick abrupt change in HSS as mine did in less than two weeks. It also probably depends on your bag. The Wedge ain't structurally durable and if you stuff your bag without dividers with lots of disc (like i do for disc shoot outs in hours of field practice) the weight of the other discs piled every which way in my rucksack (a must for me filming too) twists the Wedge out of shape. Too bad because when new it is a tremendous disc in max weight Star. The situation may be better stored in the putter pocket of a disc golf bag.

I meant a new Wedge is more valuable as a mild hyzer flip to flat each time in calm conditions. For the purpose of this thread a broken in Wedge is good for hard turning far right flying shots. It ain't so hot in minute turns right because it is squirrely at high power and turns fast and glides so much that slight increments from a straight to a few feet right to a few feet more to a few feet more ain't easy at high power. The Wedge would benefit from a more HSS disc even a straight mid complementing it for the fine tuning of slower turns with accurate repeatable small increment sideways placement control. That is not true of all understable mids or straight mids with absolute finesse requirement that are easy to throw right as well especially with a dirty form.

What i like about the Wedge is the grip for small hands and short fingers and the great distance for power input. Comets and Fuses fly far too for similar power. Wedge is more like a putter than a mid though. Each of those has a fairly tight height window and needs height for absolute greatest distance. The Wedge is the fastest one of these and IIRC can fly farthest for itself at a few feet lower apex than Fuses and Comets.

The Wedge fades pretty hard in the end for the HSS and it is a preference issue because it won't help much in pulling out of anny for s-curves thus versatility. It hurts in tunnels.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby jubuttib » Wed May 09, 2012 6:09 pm

Mark Ellis wrote:A beat in Z (or X and probably one day a Ti) Buzzz are superb.
I compared a stack (probably about 15) Ti Buzzzes at a store and picked out the one with the highest PLH. Even that is more understable than the fresh Z Buzzzes I've thrown. And from what I've read here it seems to be pretty normal for Ti Buzzzes to be less stable than regular Z Buzzzes.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment