Disc Golf Study Finalized Projects

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Disc Golf Study Finalized Projects

Postby Erin Nichols » Thu May 10, 2012 4:40 pm

Hello everyone,

Last month I posted a link to a questionnaire on the disc golf community, and I am back to announce the winner of the raffle....(drum roll please) Disc Golf Course Review member For the Glory is the winner of the $35 gift certificate! My sincere thanks go out to everyone who participated in the questionnaire.

As promised, here are some papers that I wrote with the help from the questionnaire responses. I've posted them to Google Docs, which I've never actually used before, so please let me know if you're having trouble viewing them. I've set it so you may comment on the papers, as you wish.

The first is the cultural domain analysis project. One of the questions from the questionnaire was used for this project: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Wqk ... aPw5g/edit

The second is the finalized write-up of my findings. It's not as in-depth as I'd hoped it would be, but I had to cut a lot of information out to comply with paper length limits: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Q4K ... oDlmU/edit

Again, thanks to everyone who took part in the survey!
Erin Nichols
Noob

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

Re: Disc Golf Study Finalized Projects

Postby JR » Thu May 10, 2012 10:52 pm

Thanks for making this project Erin.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri May 11, 2012 7:32 am

Erin, did anyone describe disc golfers negatively?
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby nohr » Fri May 11, 2012 1:37 pm

Frank, did you read the paper?

Erin my apologies if I wasn't supposed to copy and paste that stuff out.

A bad misconception of disc golfers is they are a bunch of hippies or pot smokers
who throw frisbees in the park. The uneducated average Joe doesn’t understand
that the frisbees you throw at the beach on in your backyard have nothing to do
with the sport of disc golf.

Disc golf] has a reputation problem: that everyone is a stoner college
kid. Too many people think the sport is easy.
I think combating the negative hippie/stoner
stereotype needs to be addressed.

this is awesome and I wanted to share?

[Competitive play is a] microcosm of society in general- derelicts, partiers,
pencil whippers, ambassadors, and mainstream people; tourney directors
and resources seem extremely limited, making tourneys very unattractive to me…
nohr
Tree Magnet

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri May 11, 2012 1:52 pm

I'm sorry, I should have said "did anyone who responded to the questionnaire describe disc golfers in general negatively". I saw where people were responding to negative stereotypes but I was just wondering if everyone responded with a general positive description of DGers in general. I would assume so since they probably saw this as another way to promote the sport and fight those stereotypes. I might have missed it in the paper since i read it on my phone.

I was thinking of a response along the lines of "I play by myself because I can't stand playing with other DGers. Buncha stoners and losers." I was interested because I've actually ran into people like this before. It's like they think they exist outside of the DG stereotype spectrum somehow. I've also run into people like this who play ball golf and seem to fight very hard the stereotype of golf being a rich man's sport and hate other golfers because they think all golfers besides them are country club snobs.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Return to General Discussion