Courses you don't play and why

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Courses you don't play and why

Postby Mark Ellis » Fri May 11, 2012 2:44 pm

Mr.SmOOOth wrote:
SkaBob wrote: Then there's Willow metropark...It's one of my favorite courses, but you can only play it in the winter. The mosquitos are seriously insane.

The standing water at Willow really smells bad. I played it for the first time in November and it was an instant favorite. Then the snow melted and the middle third of the course became a stinky mudpit. Now I go to Lakeshore instead.
Are the skeeters bad on the whole course?

Willow is a mosquito infested swamp which is directly adjacent to an expressway. The traffic noise is so loud on a few holes you have to yell to be heard. Otherwise it is a pretty good course. :lol: The mosquitoes are so thick and rabid there that deet is just like steak sauce to them.

No really, it is a better course than the righty hyzer POS I'm playing in a tournament tomorrow.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby Flipflat » Fri May 11, 2012 3:47 pm

Mark Ellis wrote:Righty hyzer tunnel courses piss me off. Yeah, I am counterclockwise spin dominant.

No wonder you like Kensington so much, I swear 99% of fairways are custom-made for sidearms.

Mr.SmOOOth wrote:The standing water at Willow really smells bad. I played it for the first time in November and it was an instant favorite. Then the snow melted and the middle third of the course became a stinky mudpit. Now I go to Lakeshore instead.
Are the skeeters bad on the whole course?

Right now it's not so bad, but skeeters love that place, usually nowhere is safe. That course will be wet when there hasn't been any rain for months. Great place to go when you want to avoid crowds.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby Mark Ellis » Fri May 11, 2012 4:30 pm

Because courses generally are SO, SO, SO righty biased anytime a course is balanced it is viewed as a lefty course. Well, comparatively it is.

But look at the long term benefit of playing a course which forces you to learn hyzers and anhyzers: The reigning State Champs in Michigan in Open, Masters and Grandmasters all call Kensington home. Great courses build great players.

So if you want to be marginal go play those righty hyzer tunnel courses every day and tell yourself how good you are. Just don't ever go onto real courses where the truth will smack you in the face.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby Hoey » Fri May 11, 2012 4:39 pm

Mark Ellis wrote:Great courses build great players.

So if you want to be marginal go play those righty hyzer tunnel courses every day and tell yourself how good you are. Just don't ever go onto real courses where the truth will smack you in the face.

First of all, Great courses do build great players.

And second of all...

The world needs more smack talking Mark Ellis... the truth can hurt.

:D
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby Flipflat » Fri May 11, 2012 5:09 pm

Was I complaining about Kensington? I'm there all the time.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby JHern » Fri May 11, 2012 11:51 pm

I don't play Berkeley Aquatic Park because:
-Fairways shoot across jogging/biking paths, which are always in a virtual traffic jam. On many holes, you simply can't throw while at the same time respecting the safety of other park users.
-Holes away from the bike path are full of people, also, camping, picnicking, hanging out, etc..
-More than 100 people use the course as their bedroom. I don't play disc golf through people's bedrooms.
-A friend got robbed by gunpoint in the parking lot.
-One round I found 5 exposed needles on the fairways.
-Etc....

There are a few cool holes there, but the course is terrible for disc golf in the modern day. And there is no club taking care of it, what a dump! That place is a real crap hole.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Mixed Bag Madness » Sat May 12, 2012 1:29 am

JHern wrote:I don't play Berkeley Aquatic Park because:
-Fairways shoot across jogging/biking paths, which are always in a virtual traffic jam. On many holes, you simply can't throw while at the same time respecting the safety of other park users.
-Holes away from the bike path are full of people, also, camping, picnicking, hanging out, etc..
-More than 100 people use the course as their bedroom. I don't play disc golf through people's bedrooms.
-A friend got robbed by gunpoint in the parking lot.
-One round I found 5 exposed needles on the fairways.
-Etc....

There are a few cool holes there, but the course is terrible for disc golf in the modern day. And there is no club taking care of it, what a dump! That place is a real crap hole.

Good times. :lol:
PA1s-Rocs-FLX Drones-Teebirds-D3s-Destroyers-D1s
Mixed Bag Madness
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pumpkin Rocs

Postby InvaderMirO » Tue May 15, 2012 12:42 pm

des moines, iowa
waterworks - this course was on a constantly flooding flat park. in the end of its time you couldn't find any teepads save 1 or 2, and some of the baskets were sunk so low you were almost picking it up off the ground. the course was fairly boring anyways, all flat, most of the trees were easily avoidable, holes were short. this course is gone now.
southwoods - next to a large highschool, next to police station, tons of blind shots and very overgrown grass with small areas to land in, tracked up like mad where its not covered in weeds. the worst part about this course is that anything other than very good shots will usually land you with time hunting in the woods, and with all the high school students you will not be the only one digging. shirtless star boss throwers.
windflower - all the holes are somewhat centered around a creek/ravine that runs down the middle of the park. this ends with lots of shots into the water or down into really hard to reach areas. the course keeps losing trees near the ravine every year and this causes the ravine to wash out further and pool more and more. this course is slowly destroying itself and will likely need modification in the future.
Ion . Anode
Hornet . Vector . Axis . Fuse
Trident . PD . River . Beast
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Favorite Disc: (beat) Star Beast

Postby BLURR » Fri May 18, 2012 7:58 am

InvaderMirO wrote:des moines, iowa
waterworks - this course was on a constantly flooding flat park. in the end of its time you couldn't find any teepads save 1 or 2, and some of the baskets were sunk so low you were almost picking it up off the ground. the course was fairly boring anyways, all flat, most of the trees were easily avoidable, holes were short. this course is gone now.
windflower - all the holes are somewhat centered around a creek/ravine that runs down the middle of the park. this ends with lots of shots into the water or down into really hard to reach areas. the course keeps losing trees near the ravine every year and this causes the ravine to wash out further and pool more and more. this course is slowly destroying itself and will likely need modification in the future.

Southwoods isn't as bad as you think. It forces you to throw good shots. I can go out there with a Buzzz and a wizard and shoot under par from the longs. It is a lot like playing Big Creek, if you miss the fairway, it will punish you. Now, I used to play this course a lot as I live right down the street, but all of a sudden there has become a rec explosion out there and you can hardly even get a round in after 3pm. Herds of one-disc'ers everywhere out there. It's like going to Grandview on the weekends, only it's a 9 hole course instead of 18.

About the only course in the metro that I won't play is Windflower for the same reasons posted above. Crivaro is questionable some days as I don't feel having to wear a Kevlar vest to play dg, but I will venture out there every once in a while.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby InvaderMirO » Fri May 18, 2012 2:50 pm

BLURR wrote:
InvaderMirO wrote:des moines, iowa

Southwoods isn't as bad as you think. It forces you to throw good shots. I can go out there with a Buzzz and a wizard and shoot under par from the longs. It is a lot like playing Big Creek, if you miss the fairway, it will punish you. Now, I used to play this course a lot as I live right down the street, but all of a sudden there has become a rec explosion out there and you can hardly even get a round in after 3pm. Herds of one-disc'ers everywhere out there. It's like going to Grandview on the weekends, only it's a 9 hole course instead of 18.

About the only course in the metro that I won't play is Windflower for the same reasons posted above. Crivaro is questionable some days as I don't feel having to wear a Kevlar vest to play dg, but I will venture out there every once in a while.

OMFG the kevlar vest thing. i will throw firebirds at 45degree hyzers on Crivaro to make sure i dont put a disc on that basketball court most days...
Ion . Anode
Hornet . Vector . Axis . Fuse
Trident . PD . River . Beast
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Favorite Disc: (beat) Star Beast

Postby logjammin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:02 am

Buckhorn near Apex, NC. I've never been there, and don't plan to go. From what I hear, there are several holes where one must throw over the lake. I don't like "water holes," at least the ones where I might lose my disc in deep water.

Also, Buckhorn is very close to a nuclear power plant, and the health hazards associated with that.

There is a course in Goldsboro, NC that was flooded the only time I've been there.

At Chapel Hill High School, there are some baskets set up. I saw 8 of them, and every one was right next to a chain link fence. I don't know if the tee areas are marked in any way or not.
logjammin
Noob

Favorite Disc: Cheetah

Postby itlnstln » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:13 am

Pearsall Park here in San Antonio. Built on an old landfill, about 2/3 of the course is wide-open, treeless abandon. Couple that with massive drop-offs on a few holes (from the mountainous piles of garbage your playing on) and a constant, 50 MPH wind, and you're left with one of the worst courses imaginable (for the most part). The sad thing is, there are some great holes positioned back in the trees are a blast to play. If the other holes were moved to that area, it would be a great course.

McClain Park used to be on this list as it was always an overgrown mud hole with dangerous foliage most of the time. The city and the SADC really stepped up and got McClain in great shape, and now it's a tremendous course. Unfortunately, I live downtown and McClain is a bit of a PITA to get to for me, so I usually end up at Live Oak or Universal City. I'm starting not to play LO as much as there is a bunch of course reconstruction, which is great, but it's been slow (not sure how they played the LOSO with course all torn up) and the noobs keep bothering me since they can't figure out how the course flows ("DGCR LIED!!!"). Hell, I don't even know how the course flows any more, I need someone to tell me. /rant
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Jeronimo » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:42 am

logjammin wrote:Also, Buckhorn is very close to a nuclear power plant, and the health hazards associated with that.

Barring an actual disaster that disrupts their containment systems, you're plenty safe.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Previous

Return to Courses