Putting and Driving

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Putting and Driving

Postby farmerdd » Mon May 14, 2012 5:37 pm

I have been playing for about 5 years but still consider myself a beginner because my score is usually 6 to 8 over par from the beginner tee. I have recently tried to look at my game more critically. This is not a joke; puts from 10 - 12 feet just recently are beginning to feel like gimmies. My distance on the drive is low between 200 and 250 feet and not consistent in any direction (anywhere within 40 degrees to each side of the target). Sometimes my drives do work out but not usually (when they do I have a good shot at par but this is for another thread). My approach shots are what I want to focus on now (I am working on drive techniques btw). When I throw a 30 or less footer it is generally a contender for the chains (they are just not quite right, practice should tighten this up) and I am ok with that for now. My problem is if I get a 40 footer I think ok I just need to ease this a little harder. My arm mechanics in this case are such that a little further is 60 to 80 feet. Is this really called an approach shot? Are there any drills I can do to learn how to throw 40 and 50 feet (one: for length and two: for consistency)? Has anyone else had this problem/or similar? Thanks in advance.
farmerdd
Noob

Re: Putting and Driving

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon May 14, 2012 6:46 pm

How do you throw those approach shots now? stand and deliver? try to throw a longer putt?
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby NoMoreTinCup » Mon May 14, 2012 6:46 pm

Welcome to the board. I imagine that others may have more in depth advice, but my two cents, without seeing you throw, is to make sure that you are using your body efficiently. Developing form is a constant process, and it sounds like you have a superb attitude toward practice. Dedication to practice is where it's at, across the board. It also sounds like to me you have a distance at which your mechanics are limiting you. Sometimes, even for players that have been at it for a long time, we get handcuffed by a distance that is awkward. In your case, I would guess it has to do with your arm bend at the elbow, but that is sight unseen, so I could be way off. Two more peices of sage wisdom.... Learn your discs, and how they behave thrown at different angles. Specifically, learn to manipulate your putters on a nose up release that flies dead straight for as far as possible. If you can throw a putter nose up, straight, but not super high, you will be on the right track. Also take some time to watch some of the many videos online (search YouTube disc golf) and enjoy the videos. Watching others can be beneficial. If you see someone throw a shot you like, rewind it and watch HOW they threw it. Above all, this board is a good place to get advice, so use it as a resource, and good luck.
KP
Elk Creek Disc Golf
www.elkcreekdgc.info
NoMoreTinCup
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Craft Discs

Postby farmerdd » Mon May 14, 2012 8:11 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:How do you throw those approach shots now? stand and deliver? try to throw a longer putt?

Well it is a work in progress but for short puts, 10-15 foot, I face the target head on with one foot more forward than the other. Then throw using more arm velocity for further shots. For med puts 15-30 feet, I stand sideways, pulling my arm across my body to throw, I step very little from back leg to front. If I have to throw further I use both arm velocity and leg weighting to throw, this is where my put goes from 30 to 80 unpredictably.
farmerdd
Noob

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon May 14, 2012 8:13 pm

work on using a stand and delivery technique from 100' and in. Stand sideways and just rotate your upper body back and then pull through towards the basket while keeping the disc flat.

Also work on using your normal putt for everything 30' and in.
Frank Delicious

Postby farmerdd » Mon May 14, 2012 8:36 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:work on using a stand and delivery technique from 100' and in. Stand sideways and just rotate your upper body back and then pull through towards the basket while keeping the disc flat.

Also work on using your normal putt for everything 30' and in.

My disk is an Innova Birdie. I throw it with the outside edge up (is this hyzer or anhyzer?) but the disk flys flat. Is this what you mean by flat? I might add though that my drivers (All Inova's: Destroyer, Valkarie, Wraith) seem to throw about the same as the Birdie. The real test will be when I throw all the disks at a flag on a football field and repeat, but I haven't done this sort of practice yet.
farmerdd
Noob

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon May 14, 2012 9:00 pm

That is anhyzer. Throw it flat, as in when you release it, it is parallel to the ground. Try adding some good wrist snap to your throw to get it to stay flat as it flies.

Also go check out some of the threads in the technique section. There might be a couple of threads in there that help you out.
Frank Delicious

Postby jubuttib » Mon May 14, 2012 10:11 pm

Welcome to the board. having an attitude like that bodes well for your future, but it will take some work. =)

With regard to the driving part, read up on the Technique forum here, it is chock full of good information. The Technique Primer and Maxing @ 300' are both good threads to read.

One important thing to remember is that neither putting nor driving requires much strength at all. Technique (and confidence, especially when putting) play a much bigger role. Throwing a putter 230-250' can be accomplished with very little effort, provided your technique works. And on that not I suggest you drop most of your drivers for the time being. If you're throwing between 200 and 250 feet on drives they're most likely fading up on you before you can get a full flight out of them. Mids and putters will fly straighter for longer at those speeds and not fade out too early. They'll also force you to develop your form because they won't be that tolerant to wobble etc.

Good luck and have fun with it. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Return to General Discussion