discraft xl

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: discraft xl

Postby gabe007 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:03 pm

i have a xl pro d i really like it because it flies straight before i was using my magnet on straight drives. but not that i have the xl i use it for evrything sometimes even long putts
gabe007
Noob

Favorite Disc: buzzz pro d

Postby sunspot » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:24 am

The XL is a finesse fairway driver. It complements my Avengers really well. I generally use the XL when I need more control, placement, and shots that have a low ceiling.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby Ryan C » Fri May 11, 2012 3:47 pm

I know this is kind of an old thread, but I just bought a couple of identical pink 175g Z XL's, with some of the stiffest pearliest plastic I've felt in a long time. Unfortunately, these are by a mile the most understable XL's I've thrown. They are like throwing 150g D's. I know the XL isn't as popular a disc these days, but anyone seen any from this run? Are these typical of how XL's are coming out lately?
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby keltik » Fri May 11, 2012 9:33 pm

I bought a z xl a few months ago. It is stiff, flat, kinda pearly and does not fade. It's not super flippy, but it's not too stable, and it's a 170 something.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Ryan C » Fri May 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Yeah, that doesn't sound quite as extreme as mine. I have to put them on a pretty steep hyzer to throw them more than 300'. Oh well, I'll buy one in a different color and see how they compare. XL's are typically one of my favorite discs ever, so I'm hoping there are still plenty of good ones out there.
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby NoMoreTinCup » Tue May 15, 2012 7:46 pm

I have or at least had an ESP, max weight XL. It was very nice for controlled turnovers, but like the Stalkers, not enough longer than a Buzzz for me to make the bag. I was digging the talk about an shorter Avenger (XL in Z plastic) until the last two posts. Does anyone have newer Zs that are on the stable to overstable side? If so, what colors seem to be more overstable?
KP
Elk Creek Disc Golf
www.elkcreekdgc.info
NoMoreTinCup
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Craft Discs

Postby cmroorda » Tue May 15, 2012 9:47 pm

I carry 3 xls all the time. One in each plastic elite x, esp, and z. Best and most versatile fairway driver imo. X is nice and flippy right off the shelf. Esp is a longer buzz, and the z has i bit more hss with a solid fade finish. All the z xls i've had, have been solid hss discs for me.
The 3-R's of improvement: Repetition, Repetition, Repetition!
cmroorda
Noob

Favorite Disc: Z Comet

Postby kp0c » Wed May 16, 2012 11:48 am

I wonder if some of you guys throw the flx version a lot? On paper, I really love the xl, but I keep throwing my flx nose up! I don't have that problem with both my star and champion leopard, as well as with my other fairway driver, the timberwolf (amazing disc btw). I wonder if the flx plastic affect my release... I know it's not the disc's fault, but the other flx disc I have is midrange (buzzz) and I release it well. Still, what is your thoughts? Other people experienced the same thing with flx xl (and other faster flx disc?)? Off course, I might just suck at disc golf lol!

Thanks for your input!

(been lurking a lot, but it's my first post. Started playing 18 months ago but have sports background. I can throw ok (leopard a touch above 300 feet)).
---
bag: Beaver (putter) - Z,ESP,FLX Buzzz - Star,DX Glo Roc - Grizzly - Timberwolf - Star Leopard - FLX XL - X Nuke (the bomb) - Z nuke SS - Z nuke - Champion Boss - Star Katana
kp0c
Noob

Favorite Disc: Timberwolf

Postby keltik » Wed May 16, 2012 7:20 pm

I have a couple of flxs. I did notice that they tended to go nose up. But I also haven't thrown those in a few years so it could have been something with the thrower.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Ryan C » Wed May 16, 2012 9:06 pm

Don't know why a certain plastic would tend to go nose up, but I tend to stay away from FLX for the most part. FLX Predators I've noticed are at least as stable as the Z's, and sometimes even more so. Just seems like that plastic makes discs fly differently than they do in any other plastic.
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby kp0c » Thu May 17, 2012 5:49 am

Ryan C wrote:Don't know why a certain plastic would tend to go nose up, but I tend to stay away from FLX for the most part. FLX Predators I've noticed are at least as stable as the Z's, and sometimes even more so. Just seems like that plastic makes discs fly differently than they do in any other plastic.

Well, I believe that every plastic make the same disc fly a little differently, even when new (when they break in, it gets obvious). For instance, I'm pretty sure my FLX Buzzz has a little more glide than my Z Buzzz.

The question is whether or not FLX plastic on faster disc (or just the XL) makes it harder to release the disc nose down... I will try to throw a XL in X/ESP/Z in the next few weeks to see how their release compare!

I will post a thread in the equipment forum to see what people think of drivers in flx plastic.

KP
---
bag: Beaver (putter) - Z,ESP,FLX Buzzz - Star,DX Glo Roc - Grizzly - Timberwolf - Star Leopard - FLX XL - X Nuke (the bomb) - Z nuke SS - Z nuke - Champion Boss - Star Katana
kp0c
Noob

Favorite Disc: Timberwolf

Postby cmroorda » Thu May 17, 2012 6:50 am

I have 2 flx xls in my practice stack. I find them to fly almost identical to my esps. However i tend not to throw flx stuff in the golf bag. Just not a good feel for me. Besides high school physics tells me i'm probably losing energy through the flexing of the disc during the throw. Lol.
The 3-R's of improvement: Repetition, Repetition, Repetition!
cmroorda
Noob

Favorite Disc: Z Comet

Postby InvaderMirO » Thu May 17, 2012 3:12 pm

cmroorda wrote:I have 2 flx xls in my practice stack. I find them to fly almost identical to my esps. However i tend not to throw flx stuff in the golf bag. Just not a good feel for me. Besides high school physics tells me i'm probably losing energy through the flexing of the disc during the throw. Lol.

i would think that the spin put on the disc once thrown would make the disc just as rigid as anything else. and its not like the FLX plastic melts in your hand like a Blowfly, its just bendy like the older gummy plastic.
though i would say that the FLX plastic tends to be more overstable than the others.
Ion . Anode
Hornet . Vector . Axis . Fuse
Trident . PD . River . Beast
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Favorite Disc: (beat) Star Beast

Postby keltik » Thu May 17, 2012 7:35 pm

Yes my FLX XLs also tended to be more OS. I'm not sure what to really say about them since I don't really throw XLs at all anymore. They are a great discs, I just moved away from them for whatever reason.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby InvaderMirO » Fri May 18, 2012 3:01 pm

keltik wrote:Yes my FLX XLs also tended to be more OS. I'm not sure what to really say about them since I don't really throw XLs at all anymore. They are a great discs, I just moved away from them for whatever reason.

i hear this from everyone it seems like...

unless your looking for a good overhand disc or can't find a drone then avoid the FLX XL
Ion . Anode
Hornet . Vector . Axis . Fuse
Trident . PD . River . Beast
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Favorite Disc: (beat) Star Beast

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment