Course in the Minneapolis Area to play

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Course in the Minneapolis Area to play

Postby Steady 26542 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:53 pm

I'll be in downtown Minneapolis for a few days and will have time to play a couple rounds. What course should I definately play? I have heard Kaposia Park is a good one and looks like it's just south of central St. Paul. Any others?
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Re: Course in the Minneapolis Area to play

Postby Ironhide » Mon May 07, 2012 10:01 pm

Close to MPLS/St. Paul...

Acorn - Roseville
Bassett Creak Park - Crystal
Rosland Park - Edina
Hansen Park - New Brighton
Lakewood Hills - White Bear Lake
Silverview Park - Mounds View
*Kaposia- South St. Paul
*Garlough Park - West Saint Paul
*Highland Park - St. Paul

* These three are pretty close to each other, especially Garlough and Kaposia.

There's a couple of the 'nicer' courses which are a little ways (30'ish minutes) away from Minneapolis and are pay to plays. Those are Bryant Lake (Eden Prairie) & Elm Creek Park (Maple Grove).
My Bag: DX - Aviar Putter - 170g & 175g | DX - Shark - 168g | DX - Roc - 168g & 175g | Pro-D Buzz - 170g | Champion - Leopard - 171g | Star - Teebird(TL) - 171g | DX/Star - Sidewinder - 168g/171g | DX - Beast - 170g
Ironhide
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc & Shark

Postby Torg » Tue May 08, 2012 9:35 am

Probobably the best mix would be

Bryant Lake- pay to play but a very nice rec course.
Kaposia Park- Pay to play but a very good advanced course. Poor signage is the major drawback. In the afternoon there are lots of groups playing. It would probably be pretty easy to get a pick up group.
Acorn Park- beat up rec course. Lots of large groups in the afternoon. Not a bad layout however
Lakwood hills- Nice advanced course. Proabably pretty good for pick up groups.
Blue Ribbon Pines if you want to drive a bit. Very good layout and well kept up. Private pay to play. A top tier course.

There are a ton of other courses in the area. Probably in the range of 50 within 50 miles.
Torg
Tree Magnet

Postby butter » Tue May 08, 2012 1:34 pm

Must plays.....

Kaposia ~15 min from downtown minneapolis, ~5 min from st paul
Blue Ribbon Pines ~ 45min from downtown minneapolis/st paul, ridiculous course, one of the top courses in the country. Kaposia is a bit tougher though
Bryant Lake ~ 20 min from downtown minneapolis, ~25 min from st paul. The "easiest" of the three but definitely maintained perfectly and has landscaping that rivals BRP.

Like others said, I'd stay away from Bryant or Kaposia from 3:30-5:30ish unless you don't mind a lot of people on the course. Sometimes its fine, but sometimes you get guys playing like they're shooting for a world championship every shot. Going out at 6 is usually legit, all the high school kids are gone and traffic isn't so bad to and from the course.
butter
Noob

Favorite Disc: Dx EX

Postby Steady 26542 » Tue May 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Thanks everyone. I'd like to play Blue Ribbon Pines just because it looks sic from the Clash Video. I've heard good things about Kaposia too. That will give me something to do for sure.
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Nick M » Wed May 09, 2012 7:59 pm

Bryany Lake, Hyland SSA and Elm Creek are all must play courses. They are all pay to play and well kept. And Bryant is not 30 minutes from Minneapolis, more like 20-25. Do not play Bryant on week nights or weekends, weekdays are the only time it is not over crowded. Hyland and Elm Creek are never crowed and are long and fun courses. Blue Ribbon Pines is an absolute must play course.
Nick M
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle X

Postby Steady 26542 » Tue May 15, 2012 1:44 pm

I'm going to stay up near Blue Ribbon Pines Sunday night so I can play there first thing Monday morning. I plan on playing two rounds. If someone is going to be in the area feel free to join me. 8) I'd love the company. :D
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Postby CatPredator » Tue May 15, 2012 4:06 pm

I live 15 minutes from BRP. If the weather still looks clear on Monday morning I'll play a round or two.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby Steady 26542 » Tue May 15, 2012 8:21 pm

CatPredator wrote:I live 15 minutes from BRP. If the weather still looks clear on Monday morning I'll play a round or two.

I will be devastated if the weather is bad. I plan on playing two rounds at BRP. :shock: I know it's 27 holes so that might be too much for an old man like me, but I PLAN on giving it a go! :mrgreen: I hope they have a snack shop or sub place somewhere nearby. I'm figuring 3.5 hr rounds. Start around 8:30, lunch around noon, then round two around 1:00. (crossing fingers for good weather) :lol:
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Postby CatPredator » Tue May 15, 2012 11:31 pm

We're getting some heat and humidity this week that may stir up some thunder showers on Saturday or Sunday but the forecast for Monday looks great. BRP is pretty easy on the body for a 27 hole course. It's mostly flat and shaded, with benches next to every tee pad, and not a lot of big bomber holes. 2 rounds at 3+hrs a round is a relaxed pace that should be very doable.

It's fairly remote but they sell some junk food and beer in the pro shop, and there are a few gas stations and fast food restaurants within 10 miles. I normally just bring my owns snacks and a jug of water.

I won't be able to make it out until closer to 9:30 but I'd be happy to catch up and show ya the course.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Postby Steady 26542 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:29 pm

9:30 will work fine. I just got done watching the Clash @ BRP. Great video! I'm guessing I won't be able to shoot 24 down like Nikko & Cale. :lol:

If I run into any issues I'll let you know on here. I hope the weather holds out.

I hope to see you out there!
Thanks!
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Postby CatPredator » Sat May 19, 2012 9:37 am

The course has changed a good bit in the last couple years. The owners continually upgrade and modify the layout and add little flourishes here and there like wood carvings, a few elevated tee pads/baskets, new signs/ob markers, etc. The course should still look familiar though!
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Postby CatPredator » Mon May 21, 2012 9:32 pm

Great playing with you. Thanks again for hooking me up with the awesome plastic and cool minis. I'll be picking up a few more Millenium discs to compliment the JLS's and Sentinels. You were very gracious in your representation of Millenium, Iron Lion, and GB. Job well done. Nice shooting too!

-Josh
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Postby Steady 26542 » Tue May 22, 2012 4:27 pm

Thanks for the kind words Josh. It was great playing with you as well. We had a perfect day and I thought I played pretty well. BRP is a gem that you must play when ever you're in the area. If you know the course I got a 3 on hole 4! :shock:
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Postby inthedrift » Tue May 22, 2012 9:00 pm

Never been there but I do know that's a nice 3.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Next

Return to General Discussion