what to add next?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

what to add next?

Postby talkinsmack » Tue May 15, 2012 9:03 pm

I finally purchased a couple discs so I don't need to borrow or play with beat up crap I find in the bushes. I am 6'2" and I have been playing with big frisbees (not disc golf) for a while so max weight does not scare me.

so far I purchased a Buzzz ESP @ 176g and a Rattler @ 167g

I plan to add a max weight soft magnet for a real putter. a flick for overhand, thumbers, tomahawk, rollers etc. for a driver that can get more distance than a Buzzz, I was thinking maybe an Avenger SS or a Nuke SS.

so basically I have a buzzz and a rattler but want to add a magnet, flick, avenger SS.

the course I play has lots of tight fairways and no open 400ft drives except one hole over water. I don't want to throw over water and I can't throw very far at all with my skill level. is the Nuke too much for me and my course? what should I buy next and in what order?
talkinsmack
Noob

Favorite Disc: Rattler 167

Re: what to add next?

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue May 15, 2012 9:47 pm

don't get a nuke or avenger ss. Get something much slower as a driver, nothing faster than a teebird/eagle.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Ryan C » Tue May 15, 2012 10:54 pm

I really like to recommend XL's to people who are starting. They are slow, controllable, and have great glide, so they can get out there farther than many discs in the same speed class. I have played many tournaments without throwing anything faster than an XL.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby InvaderMirO » Thu May 17, 2012 2:29 pm

Ryan C wrote:I really like to recommend XL's to people who are starting. They are slow, controllable, and have great glide, so they can get out there farther than many discs in the same speed class. I have played many tournaments without throwing anything faster than an XL.

ive only seen an XL thrown and never tossed one myself but im still going to quote this. you want to start off with slow plastic and learn how to work those lines. XL will glide like a mofo and really help you learn how to shape your lines.

finished -1 yesterday at the local course with just 2 putters, Ion and Anode. and considering the 15/18 of the holes are 300+ it can easily be shown that having the warpspeed drivers isn't necessary. start with the slower discs and work your way up, you will find that having a reliable midrange/putter shot is 10x more useful on the course than landing the farthest drive.
Ion . Anode
Hornet . Vector . Axis . Fuse
Trident . PD . River . Beast
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Favorite Disc: (beat) Star Beast

Postby talkinsmack » Thu May 17, 2012 8:53 pm

so I threw the rattler and the buzzz today. the rattler is the perfect approach putter. it flies straight and stalls into an elevator every time. I should have got max weight on the putter and less weight on the buzzz. the buzzz is turning over more than I would like but I can get a good S if I throw anhyzer forehand. I learned that I suck at tomahawk with a max weight buzzz.

conclusion, I should have got a buzzz ss in 160g. I probably won't even buy a flick now. I probably don't need another putter. next I'm getting the XL in pro D and a buzzz ss 160.
talkinsmack
Noob

Postby JR » Thu May 17, 2012 9:09 pm

Buzzzes suck at overheads shots. D XL beats in faster than more durable plastics and that makes them flip. Overhead shots are hard on the plastic and even thought the XL ain't a traditional choice for OH shots it should be better than the Buzzz so i suggest an ESP or a Z XL. Rattler can't take much wind so you may want to have a beefier putter for putts and one that might finish a little left on drives because the Rattler won't.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby talkinsmack » Fri May 18, 2012 5:28 am

the XL in D is rated 0 compared to the other plastic that is rated 0.5 stable. but I think your saying that the XL D will break in so quick that it is actually more overstable than the 0.5 XL? as for a second putter, the challenger looks like the overstable brother to the rattler. what I don't understand is how they have a soft challenger in hard plastic and a regular challenger in soft D plastic. what is softer?
talkinsmack
Noob

Postby osborne » Fri May 18, 2012 5:36 am

talkinsmack wrote:the XL in D is rated 0 compared to the other plastic that is rated 0.5 stable. but I think your saying that the XL D will break in so quick that it is actually more overstable than the 0.5 XL? as for a second putter, the challenger looks like the overstable brother to the rattler. what I don't understand is how they have a soft challenger in hard plastic and a regular challenger in soft D plastic. what is softer?

That isn't what he is saying at all. As plastic beats in it gets more understable as a general rule. You're rating of 0 for that xl, as it beats in, will get to -.5 and keep going. What JR is saying is that D plastic will get to the -.5 much faster than the more durable plastic. The z and esp will get there eventually but it takes much longer.
xd-buzzz-meteor-drone-teebird-firebird-blizzard destroyer
Smooth is Fast-Fast is Far
osborne
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: xd

Postby JR » Fri May 18, 2012 6:08 am

That. Generally speaking the more overstable the disc is the better it will be for overhead throws because it flips slower flying a longer time upside down thus not dropping down as early. More air time=more distance. Even in Z the added overstability should not make the disc unsuable for other shots but the overheads will be way better than with Buzzzes. FLX XL is an atypical animal. It is way overstable thus the best for overheads and the worst for any other shot except huge headwinds and straight then hard fade and dump down short flight paths. That means the FLX can't be recommended as a general purpose disc.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby talkinsmack » Sun May 20, 2012 8:29 am

I want to get another midrange driver. the buzzz 176 esp is just a little bit too overstable and heavy for me. should I try a buzzz SS or MVP Axis? the Axis is only available in 179g+ and I'm trying to go with 171g or less till I can get my strength and speed up. or should I just buy the max weight Axis and get some practice with the heavy weight? I will be buying the XL in D plastic for sure. the rattler is working great for me but my max distance is less than 80ft always.
talkinsmack
Noob

Postby JR » Sun May 20, 2012 10:38 pm

I've punched out the Rattler to 250' but it is way unreliable there and i lose predictability around 180'. The Axis is way more OAT sensitive than the Buzzz. Buzzz likes speed and doesn't glide that well without it while the Axis glides very well and misses sideways hard per each degree of missed hyzer. The Axis punishes user error way more the Buzzz in Z actually protects from it if it is flat topped. So i'd go with a lighter Buzzz for straight shots and Axis for wiiiiiide left or right shots. The Buzzz is better for in between of straight or wide to the side shots but Roc is even better than that but shorter. User error protection wise.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby LumberJack » Mon May 21, 2012 4:59 am

For the next step up in speed I'd go with something like a Stalker, Leopard, JLS, Teebird/Eagle or maybe even a Valkyrie. And if you find a putter you like, buy another one just like it. Two putters are better than 1!
Pure, Rhyno, Roc, Saint, QOLF, Astra, Quasar, Predator

People deserve the government they get. Why? Because they haven't learned to govern themselves.
LumberJack
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby jubuttib » Mon May 21, 2012 8:54 am

JR wrote:The Axis is way more OAT sensitive than the Buzzz.
Truth.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby InvaderMirO » Mon May 21, 2012 9:13 am

jubuttib wrote:
JR wrote:The Axis is way more OAT sensitive than the Buzzz.
Truth.

quoting again for the truth of this. that disc will make you pay dearly for a botched throw.
but i still love the punishment anyways, because when they do fly right its a really really nice line.
Ion . Anode
Hornet . Vector . Axis . Fuse
Trident . PD . River . Beast
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Favorite Disc: (beat) Star Beast

Postby talkinsmack » Tue May 22, 2012 9:19 pm

so here is what I have now. I will report back after I throw all my new discs. I'm really hoping the lower weight and 0 stable discs help my game.

XL D 165g
Buzzz SS 172g
Axis 171g
Soft Anode 170g
rattler 167g

I traded away my buzzz 176g :(
talkinsmack
Noob

Next

Return to Equipment