FTT's (slower) bag project

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: FTT's (slower) bag project

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun May 13, 2012 8:15 pm

JR wrote:If you want a Valkish type flight Northman could work. There are shape thus flight variations in them. Low PLH ones are very much like Valks but a little more HSS. High PLH ones are very much more HSS and neither has a tremendous amount of LSS. Probably less than Star Valks and not too far from Champs but maybe a hair less. In appropriate weights that is. I have a 154 and a 165. 150s are rare mid 160s should be easier to find. The 154 flips a few degrees at full power and not at all with 90 % and i usually can't make the 165 track if it ain't a very good day. The 165 with a high PLH is bullet straight until the fade in calm weather at sea level for me. Both are VIP plastic so i don't know about Tournament Plastic.

On the note of Westside Discs, I've heard a lot of good things about the Sword. I was thinking of picking one up for a max D driver in the future. Is it a little easier to throw than a Star Wraith of similar weight? I really have to beat in a Star Wraith to make it useful for me, which is why I dont throw them anymore...they would fade out too soon.

Right now I get my lightly seasoned 170 C/S Valk 350' and sometimes close to 370' (rough estimation). How far should I be getting my Valks before I step up to something faster? I'm not wanting to step past speed 11. I plan on keeping Valks in my bag for a long time because of how much they bomb and shape lines. But when there's a touch of wind you gotta be careful. I didn't know if the Sword would be a straight shot with dependable fade that could handle some light winds. PD's would always take over in any big wind (or my FB). Let me know what you think.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Mon May 14, 2012 2:50 am

Beware of TP Northmen mine is a flip machine so VIP is the way to go the same for the King. Sword needs more power than the Wraith and flies faster and fades harder meaning it is barely usable for me as a moderately fading driver. It tends to be too much on the hard fade side for me so i can't recommend it to you now.

Your Valk distance lets you throw faster discs consistently. The HSS and LSS are what counts more in faster discs than your power because it is enough for many faster discs depending on the lines you want to take. There are low power requirement fast discs that are understable like the Valk and ones that don't fade out too early to lose too much D from that ending up longer than the Valk at least s-curved. A light Vulcan is very touchy in the wind and fades harder than the Valk but starts to fade so late at your power that it should end up being longer than the Valk. S-curved an Archon in light weights should work. If the numbers on the upcoming Krait are right is should be right up your alley and be the most generally usable in golf situations needing more than one line per mold. But before thinking of faster discs what's your Sidewinder experience with new Stars? GL River and new Star Sidewinders are less fading and longer than Valks for me. Less fading Flashes should work especially underweight ones. If you find a Flow that ain't as power hungry and hard fading as a domey high PLH Opto and not as flippy as an early royal blue flat topped low PLH GL you might have a perfect disc. That means it is less fading than new than a Wraith possibly less fading than a beat Wraith. Without being too flippy. Those are on the shelves now but i'd keep an eye out for Krait reviews once those come up. You have lots of options so trying to loan and throw those discs should give you a good idea of what's out there and which one works the best for you and on which lines. Most not understable speed 11 and above discs are good for only straight then hard left shots at your power. That means the older molds including the Wraith. It was last year and possibly late 2010 that the lower power requirement speed 11 and up discs started to appear.

Wahoo ain't durable but the flight good be good and it floats but so do sub 140s Blizzard discs. I haven't tested that claim yet. Hmm the Bliz 134 Destro is definitely good for me for the straight then hard fade and s-curved flights. Might have to take that with me to courses with water :-D It is too much of a disc for me for distance duties on anything but wide open holes.

Blizzardd changed everything so the best disc for you might come from there. Before that the best regular disc for your power was mid 160s Beast. And they'll be great options even when you add power. Lights STDs are slightly more HSS and noticeably more LSS and a hair shorter than Beasts. STDs need more power so the Beast should be right up your alley. The thing about the little fade of the Beast combined with speed 10 and good glide is that often times i outdrive the Wraith of speed 11 with it. Beasts are coming up in Bliz but nobody knows how they'll throw compared to regular ones. Bliz Wraiths aren't right compared to regular ones. If you don't think of it as a Wraith and throw a 150 or heavier it could be very good for you.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon May 14, 2012 6:31 am

Thanks again JR. Great write-up. I have a 148 Blizzard Katana that I have used from time to time, but only on wide-open holes. At first, it wasnt too far off from my Valks. I was maybe getting 20' more with the blizzkat, which didn't seem like a viable reason to carry it in my bag. I need to throw it back in the bag for some player B shots to see how it compares now. And I am looking forward to the Krait coming out. Like I said, I found Wraiths to be too overstable. Also, I used to have a lighter Archon, but it needed a lot of room to get far, and even that had an early fade...but that was when I was throwing 325' max D. The Krait seems like it might work better than both if it's flight is true to it's numbers.

Even if i do bag the blizzkat from time to time, I still think I'll keep my Valks in rotation until I can reach 400', and then maybe step up to something faster.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Tue May 15, 2012 2:33 pm

Star Wraith normal weight is way different to lighter Bliz Wraiths. My 134 is unusable in golf situation for me unless it is a very tall shot without OB and out of birdie range for the first shot. 150 is touchy but somewhat usable. Nowhere as great as my 155 Boss. I wouldn't wonder if a 130s Boss would be golfable for you. But really there are tons of discs to try so loaners are your best bet and the Blizkat is up your alley power wise. You don't need to blast Valks 400' to use faster discs. I need a good pull and an s-curve with tail wind to make my 150 Champ Valk go 400' or a new DX Valk (longer). One hit to anything and the DX Valk is a roller for me so no joy. 370' Valk is enough for less power hungry less fading faster discs. Especially speed 10 discs like the Beast. The easiest regularly available disc. Speed 11 Flow GL of not the flippiest kind may be the next most friendly normal solution. Bliz just needs finding the proper mold and weight for that mold. Plenty of experimentation to be made but the Destro is the best for hard fades cutting D and the Boss for golf shots and max D.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed May 16, 2012 3:38 pm

Travel bag for the summer:

168 S PD - seasoned
169 Champystar FD - new
178 C MD2 - flat, seasoned
170 D P2

I'll be traveling for a few weeks for work. Don't have room for my bag to come with me, but I can slip a few discs in my suitcase. You know, looking at these 4 discs I realize that this is actually what I end up throwing 90% of the time anyway...with the exception of Valks for distance. On that note, I don't think I'll take a Valk so I don't run the risk of losing it, and because I hear the FD has some distance potential at my power range...which is a challenge I look forward to.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:34 pm

Played the front 18 at DeLaveaga this morning with this setup. Had a good time, but a bad round. These 4 worked pretty well for me. My S FD shows more HS turn than expected (only has a few rounds under its belt) and my C MD2 is looking like a slower FD on 300' of power. It's been seasoned really well and will track to the right (RHBH) a little before fading forward. Love this disc.

Does anyone know for sure if there are good flat C MD2's being released now? I need to get a backup soon.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:04 pm

Picked up a 156 Blizzard Boss and what appears to be a very well seasoned 11x champ TB.

The Boss is everything people on here have described...all-out bombs!

The Teebird is definitely a champ TB, because I can see a remnant of the stamp. But I can't tell if it's 11x or not. It's relatively flat on top, which leads me to think it is. It flies a beautiful, slow-turning line when thrown flat, and still has a pretty dependable fade. Slight hyzer release, and it's dead nuts straight!

Is there a current run of a disc that compares to beat and/or new 11x champ Teebirds? It's really sparked my curiosity.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Hyzerline49 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:49 pm

try a moderately domey star teebird.... in my experience, it is the best combination of glide and stability but has a very forward fade when fresh. once worked in a little bit it is money.
Forces - Orcs - Banshees - Eagles - Wasps - Rocs - Zones - Wizards
Hyzerline49
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ching Roc

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:23 am

Hyzerline49 wrote:try a moderately domey star teebird.... in my experience, it is the best combination of glide and stability but has a very forward fade when fresh. once worked in a little bit it is money.

That used to be my favorite disc...and then I lost it and took that opportunity to try something new.

In hindsight that was a mistake. I spent too much time and money going from mold to mold. With my power, I would guess a return to Teebirds would be ideal.

Possible fairway lineup:
Flat FB - meathook
S PD - wind/useable meathook
Star Valk - distance
Star TB - stable control
11x TB - (less) stable control
S FD - tunnels/line shaping
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:40 pm

Travel bag update (still away from home)

Lost my favorite S PD but found two 11x gems and a Blizzard Boss...and bought 2 discs.

156 B-Boss
175 11x Champ Firebird
171 Star Teebird
175 11x Champ Teebird
165 Star Beast
169 S FD
178 C MD2
170 D P2

FD is somewhat stable, but great for tunnel shots and line holding. Beast for slight hyzerflips (still new). 11x TB is slightly understable.

When I get home I'll have to do some field tests to see how these new discs fit into 12+2 spots. Waiting for me at home: a flat 12x Firebird, fresh S PD, S TD's, Champystar Valks, and Magics. I'm expecting overlap with all these molds, so I'll have to do some thinning out. Anyone have thoughts?

Oh, and I also found a Champ Ape, but not sure if I want to keep it or not.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:42 pm

I brought the answer here from the thread of Trey. Even though the MD2 is longer than some traditional mids it ain't so by a lot. So the distance difference between the FD and the MD2 might be an issue. Coyote and the less HSS Warship and the more punishing Axis are all longer than the MD2 by a good deal.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:32 pm

JR wrote:I brought the answer here from the thread of Trey. Even though the MD2 is longer than some traditional mids it ain't so by a lot. So the distance difference between the FD and the MD2 might be an issue. Coyote and the less HSS Warship and the more punishing Axis are all longer than the MD2 by a good deal.

I'm sure the distance between the two might be an issue for some, but for me, my FD flies a lot further than my MD2, and on much lower lines.

I'm home and still need to do some field work with all of my discs. I hate the idea that I am going throug testing...again....but I didn't mean to find a few discs during my trip :D cant complain.

Distance testing:
156 Blizzard Boss - max D stable
148 Blizzard Katana - max D understable
170 Star Valk - control D
(I'll pick one or two based on the course)

Fairway testing:
175 Firebirds (flat)
168 S PD
168, 172 S TD's
171 Star Teebird
175 11x Champ Teebird
169 S FD

Mids are MD2's and a Gator

Putters are P2's, and Magics if I feel like something less stable.

12 discs max (and 2 putters), and I am hoping to narrow down to 7-8 molds total. Thinking of Valk, FB, Teebird, FD, Gator, MD2, P2. Give me your thoughts if you got 'em.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:42 am

Fightingthetide wrote:I'm sure the distance between the two might be an issue for some, but for me, my FD flies a lot further than my MD2, and on much lower lines.

I think he was meaning there was TOO much distance between those, not that there wasn't enough. The FD is long for its speed (from what I've heard, yet to get my hands on one) and he was saying while the MD2 is slightly longer than some mids, its not quite enough to cover the distance between those two, unless you can power down the FD successfully.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:40 am

Crosseyed0811 wrote:
Fightingthetide wrote:I'm sure the distance between the two might be an issue for some, but for me, my FD flies a lot further than my MD2, and on much lower lines.

I think he was meaning there was TOO much distance between those, not that there wasn't enough. The FD is long for its speed (from what I've heard, yet to get my hands on one) and he was saying while the MD2 is slightly longer than some mids, its not quite enough to cover the distance between those two, unless you can power down the FD successfully.

Oh okay, that makes sense. I misunderstood what JR was saying.

So should I throw another mold in there? I've thrown Axis's before, and Fuses. Both have tremendous glide and I'm sure they could fill that gap.

JR suggested the Coyote, but I can't imagine it's much longer than an MD2 since they seem to be almost identical...but then again, I've never thrown one.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:14 am

I actually would consider something like a Leopard if I was going to add another mold.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion