FLX plastic for faster disc (drivers)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

FLX plastic for faster disc (drivers)

Postby kp0c » Thu May 17, 2012 5:31 am

Hey! It's my first thread here, but I have been lurking quite a lot in the past few weeks. A lot of good info on the forum, kudos to all the participants.

So, in the XL thread of the equipment forum, some members, including me, were noticing difficulty with throwing the FLX XL nose down (it wasn't widespread, but enough to ask to a larger audience what they think...).

My question is therefore whether you have experienced difficulty to throw nose down when throwing drivers in flx plastic (XL and faster).

FWIW, I have other disc in FLX, like a Buzzz, and I don't have the same problem. I thus wonder if it's just me, my disc, or the plastic in general with driver that could cause the hard time I got throwing the XL nose down.

DG background : I am a fairly new player, 18 months or so, and have sports background. I can throw the disc well (I think at least) but not that far. My fairway driver (Leopard, Timberwolf) max out under 325' and my faster driver under 375'.
kp0c
Noob

Favorite Disc: Timberwolf

Re: FLX plastic for faster disc (drivers)

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu May 17, 2012 7:39 am

I didn't really notice the problem of throwing them nose down. I guess it could do due to being able to bend the disc in your grip. If you are applying more pressure or uneven pressure with your fingers, they could bend the disc nose up and that could affect the nose angle.

It could also be that FLX drivers are usually more stable than their counterparts in other weights so they could just be hyzering out earlier.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby kp0c » Thu May 17, 2012 7:51 am

I like the idea that I might be bending the disc a little too much/unevenly/badly. I'll try it later today to check the effect of my grip pressure. I guess I could also try to keep a slightly lighter grip.
Thanks for the input.

On a side note, I notice you say that FLX is usually more stable than their counterparts, would you say the same for Buzzz ? My flx seems less stable than my Z (although it is more seasoned than the Z for sure).
---
bag: Beaver (putter) - Z,ESP,FLX Buzzz - Star,DX Glo Roc - Grizzly - Timberwolf - Star Leopard - FLX XL - X Nuke (the bomb) - Z nuke SS - Z nuke - Champion Boss - Star Katana
kp0c
Noob

Favorite Disc: Timberwolf

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu May 17, 2012 8:26 am

I don't really have any experience with FLX buzzes but the FLX challenger is a bit more stable than other challengers and the drivers I've thrown in FLX have been way more stable. The XL and Preds I've thrown have been way, way more overstable than their counterparts.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Pwingles » Thu May 17, 2012 9:04 am

This is the case with drones as well, flx is wayyyy more OS than Z or cryztal flx

It should be noted that especially in the case of drivers they may start out more stable, they will also likely wear in faster than the other premiums and lose that initial extra stability sooner.
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby InvaderMirO » Thu May 17, 2012 2:21 pm

ive been throwing FLX SurgeSS for a year or more now and i love em.
the FLX plastic makes them feel like my worn gummy innova drivers, and the added "out of the box" stability of the FLX plastic is very welcome on generally understable discs, it turns what might be a somewhat flippy SurgeSS into an amazingly reliable straight driver with very little fade, the thing even handles headwind pretty dam well.

i would say they maybe beat up a bit faster, but i have yet to really notice as once you get into star/champion plastics it takes a pretty good ding to really deal damage to em it seems.

unfortunately that surge is the only disccraft disc i even own. though now that i dont have Rocs in my bag i love to "cheat" and fondle a buzz from time to time.
Ion . Anode
Hornet . Vector . Axis . Fuse
Trident . PD . River . Beast
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Favorite Disc: (beat) Star Beast

Postby NoMoreTinCup » Fri May 18, 2012 5:10 am

FLX Avengers are very overstable relative to Avengers in other plastics. The max weight FLX Av. flies like a 170 Z Pred. I haven't had nose angle issues with it, but I am not currently throwing it either.
KP
Elk Creek Disc Golf
www.elkcreekdgc.info
NoMoreTinCup
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Craft Discs

Postby JR » Fri May 18, 2012 6:16 am

Another enthusiastic thumbs up for the FLX Surge SS. Just beware of the understable Flex ASS. It is less useful than the very overstable FLX XL.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby money 21 » Fri May 18, 2012 2:57 pm

does this hold true for the flx surge as well them being more over stable. been looking for some
thing a little not ton more over stable to complement the z and esp surges i already throw.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby JR » Fri May 18, 2012 9:44 pm

Dunno about the Surge FLX anymore because i've forgotten because i lost my FLX Surge in the snow two winters ago. Z and FLX Surge SS fly the same for me.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby DPJ88 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:19 am

I have 1 FLX pred that is a total brick (crazy crazy overstable... I can toss my Orcs out about 420 and I can't get this FLX pred to do anything but meathook). I have been throwing that FLX pred strictly for thumbers and the like for 2+ years now. It's STILL a brick. It has not lost a tick of stability, it's still a meathook if thrown RHBH. But I love it for overhand stuff since it is very predictable and when it lands- it flexes and stays put. it doesn't give me strange roll aways.

My other FLX pred I purchased as a backup incase I were to ever lose my precious overhander is more along the lines of Z stability, though.

That said, I prefer Z to any FLX pred when I am throwing them BH or FH
Pred - Orc - EagleX - River - Wasp - Buzzz - Fuse - Challenger
DPJ88
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Eagle X

Return to Equipment