What driver do you throw for distance into the wind?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What driver do you throw for distance into the wind?

Postby limonsock » Wed May 16, 2012 2:32 am

So I either throw a champ or star xcal into the wind, both 175ish. Without wind I put the star (my current main driver) about 400 ft 70% of the time. (if it goes in the 430 range then I'm real happy with myself). Into the wind I'm only getting these about 300-320 though. Anyone think that slower drivers are the answer? Lighter? More under stable?

Let me know what you throw!

I've got a bunch of discs to try when I get to the states in a month or so, problem is theres no where to throw in Shanghai due to the 23 million people surrounding me. Therefore due to limited play time I gotta choose 1 or 2 discs to try for the bag.
if you think any of these are the way to go, make a note of that too. but I want to hear if you're throwing something else too, cause I love getting new plastic

These are mostly mix weight
slightly beat z-pred
beefy dx banshee
stable spd
new eagle x
z-nuke
ape
esp surge
167 pro boss (feel like I'd flip the shit out of a light disc (especially pro))
Current bag is sloppy yet fun; Judges, comet, wasp, FD's, river?, saint?, PD's, Flow, D1, Nuke, ...
limonsock
Noob

Favorite Disc: today its a comet

Re: What driver do you throw for distance into the wind?

Postby victorb » Wed May 16, 2012 6:01 am

Honestly, if I'm really worried about the wind, I don't throw for distance, but for control/placement. So then I use my overstable workhorse predator, or if it's really breezy my flat top predator. The predator, for me, is good for 340-375' in pretty much any conditions.

If I'm throwing for distance and the wind is blowing a little, ie where I'm not uncomfortable with it, I'm probably still using a 158 blizzard destroyer.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed May 16, 2012 7:35 am

losing 100' or 1/4 of your D in the wind is crazy. What type of wind do you play in?

I just throw a stable star destroyer or a Z pred into the wind depending on the wind and what type of line I want to shape. They are both good for a shot in the 375' area unless the wind is crazy blowing.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby kern9787 » Wed May 16, 2012 11:03 am

For headwind distance, I still use my CPD2. I'll use my preds into the wind for anything but max distance though.

Getting good distance into the wind can be tricky. You have to be comfortable with your throw and your disc. You have to be able to throw your disc hard still, with the nose down, and trust that the disc will not turn, or will not turn too much.

As far as disc selection, faster discs should be able to penetrate better into the wind. Throwing into a headwind means that you are increasing the relative air speed of the disc compared to the same shot with no wind. Discs will turn easier and have less fade in general, assuming you are throwing the same way. The downside to throwing faster discs into a headwind is that they are also more nose angle sensitive. If you don't get the nose down enough, the wind can really punish a throw with a faster disc, usually causing it to lift, then fade out early. My first guess would be this is what is happening to your shots into the wind.

More overstable discs will allow you to be more comfortable throwing into the wind without the threat of turning too much. There is a distinction between a truly overstable disc and a speed stable disc though. A truly overstable disc (most common examples would be firebirds, predators, XXX) is going to have a similar stability over a wide range of air speeds. Speed stable discs typically refer to the warp speed discs that, when they aren't thrown with enough speed, behave very similar to your truly overstable discs, but aren't a really a "reliable" overstable disc. (Yes, I realize that any disc can be considered "speed stable" if you aren't getting them up to speed. Fast drivers (Innova speed 12 and 13 is what I usually think about) are usually the ones that are thrown into this category though).

Its been a while since I've thrown an Xcal (and I've never thrown a champ xcal) so bear with me. I've always considered the xcal to be in between a truly overstable and speed stable disc. It does have overstable qualities to it, but as a 400'+ thrower myself, I could never trust it into a headwind because it would still turn too much to be reliable to me. The PD2 is very similar to the xcal, but is more of a truly overstable disc imo in C or, from what I hear, S plastic now. (PPD2 are great discs, but not the wind fighters the premium plastics are). I've been intrigued by the giant as well lately to though. Of course, like others have mentioned, slower overstable discs will be useful to you as well, as they can reliably hit 350-380' into the wind VERY reliably.

However, a truly overstable disc will not help you if the issue is you throwing nose up into the wind. On your shots into the wind, what is the flight of the disc like?
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby NoLifeLeft » Wed May 16, 2012 3:12 pm

Z Force.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby lilmendy33 » Wed May 16, 2012 5:39 pm

In Nebraska we face winds from 25-45 mph depending, I really enjoy preds a lot, they are very reliable for a great shape shot into the wind knowing it will always come back is a plus, note: high weights are mostly what I huck. I have been tampering with new types of plastic (for me I was out of the game for a couple years now just getting back in, my sponsor hooked me up with a few new models to try) I highly enjoy an opto Villain from Latitude 64, it is overstable, comfortable in the hand, and very reliable to come back in a head wind, it wont turn and stay on an anny line. Although it is rated understable I have been throwing a Westside Discs King with extreme hyzer into a head wind, the flight is just beautiful with a strong flip into the wind over to a gentle anny and reliable turn back, the plus side to this disc is the glide, it feels as if it flies forever and is very comfortable in the hand. The end result is a huge S-curve and great D in my opinion. With the King I needed to get used to throwing into a head wind to really feel comfortable with the appropriate lines I needed to throw. With the Opto Villian the reliability of it makes it a very comfortable disc to throw in a head wind IMO.
lilmendy33
Noob

Favorite Disc: Predator

Postby limonsock » Wed May 16, 2012 6:36 pm

So right now I'm thinking grab a fresh predator (z again? suggestions?) and a cpd2.
Also focus on keeping the nose down. I feel that this has got to be a big factor for me because the disc starts off cruising and then drops out of the sky. I'm not turning it over too much; it just seems to stop and fall.
Current bag is sloppy yet fun; Judges, comet, wasp, FD's, river?, saint?, PD's, Flow, D1, Nuke, ...
limonsock
Noob

Postby limonsock » Wed May 16, 2012 6:49 pm

Also I'm not talking about a 5-10 mph headwind; more along the lines of 15-30 mph.

My course where distance matters is about half thick forest and then half open holes but still through the forest, which has just had a lot more trees removed. This leads to some excellent wind tunnels...
limonsock
Noob

Postby keltik » Wed May 16, 2012 7:32 pm

I will agree that the villain is right hoggish. Not sure what I'd use it for here in nc.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby kern9787 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:58 pm

limonsock wrote:So right now I'm thinking grab a fresh predator (z again? suggestions?) and a cpd2.

Z preds are money.

Also focus on keeping the nose down. I feel that this has got to be a big factor for me because the disc starts off cruising and then drops out of the sky. I'm not turning it over too much; it just seems to stop and fall.

How high is the disc getting during its flight? Again, nose angle is just a guess right now, because the wind itself wouldn't be taking as much distance off of your throw as you are claiming. Wind + nose up could easily do that though. The disc should rise some, without turning over, then fade off.

Then again, it is also possible that the disc is turning slightly, which would cause it to lose some height, and the disc is just gradually cruising into the ground. If this is happening, the disc may just start tracking right (assuming RHBH, could be left too) and lose height slowly until it is in the ground. Any chance of getting video?
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Thu May 17, 2012 8:52 pm

Shorter shots in not howling winds anything or the Pred if it needs a left finish, long shots 155 Bliz Boss but 134 Destro might work too. Howlers bring out the Z Force and if it is stupid winds i might take the E Spirit out onto the course. Normally i won't carry it and in fact have not taken it out in over a year.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Nick M » Thu May 17, 2012 11:33 pm

Z force is pretty money for me into the wind though it isn't as easy to control as a z pred. Slightly beat Esp Preds go great in headwinds for me. Its always a tough call, the control of the pred or the extra 30-50 feet the force will get me in that headwind.
Nick M
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle X

Postby JHern » Fri May 18, 2012 2:01 am

I think the SP Hurricane is the ideal headwind disc, and it isn't ridiculous over-stable (it doesn't have to be).
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Fri May 18, 2012 6:13 am

JHern wrote:I think the SP Hurricane is the ideal headwind disc, and it isn't ridiculous over-stable (it doesn't have to be).

I hear they vary a lot. The one i have flips hard at full power and fades almost Destroyer hard. At 80-90 % it doesn't flip and doesn't glide that well (it does at full speed so i think i'm on the lower end of the usable speed range cruising speed wise). Instead it dumps hard not hog overstable but the next hardest type of fade. I've heard of more HSS descriptions with as much fade and even less HSS low fade individuals.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby LumberJack » Fri May 18, 2012 12:29 pm

Depends on the shot and the wind:

Firebird
Predator
Quasar
Beefy AJ Destroyer

I'm also comfy with throwing a fresh Teebird, a Roc, or my Ions into a wind, off the tee or in the fairway.
Pure, Rhyno, Roc, Saint, QOLF, Astra, Quasar, Predator

People deserve the government they get. Why? Because they haven't learned to govern themselves.
LumberJack
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Next

Return to Equipment