Suggested Blizzard Discs?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby InvaderMirO » Thu May 17, 2012 3:40 pm

I've got 2 blizzard discs currently but i was curious what everyone else is finding with theirs. These discs seem to be very inconsistent or maybe its the huge difference in weight or me throwing molds im not familiar with. However considering these things are all the rage ( and i find about 1 or 2 a week stashed off somewhere in the woods ) i'd really like to hear opinions of others on their blizzard discs that "WORK" and maybe some possible tips on how to get them to really soar.

Currently owned.
150 red Destroyer - This thing is a meathook and a half, 400+ foot of power on a throw and this thing for some reason will still turn left REALLY hard like a fresh 175 XCal. I just can't find a reason to carry or use this thing and im worried that since its 150 it won't really be useful even in headwind. If i want an overstable disc for the wind i want a 170+. Its flight does stay somewhat straight for the first 150 feet but this thing is seriously one of the most overstable discs i have ever throw, it spike hyzers like a longer firebird/whippet.
135 yellow TeeDevil - Never thrown a teedevil before but they should be something between a Destroyer and Katana. This one i think i may have just gotten a bit too light, it seems to get TONS of glide, but i can never predict if its going to actually turn over or not, half the time i throw with too much hyzer and it flies nice and straight, but not really what im wanting. Else i throw it with less hyzer and i will flip over way too far, almost like a roller. I have had a few good drives with this, but they have only been when out in the field trying to work it on a distance line.

Returned to owners.
150 green Ape - this thing was actually pretty sweet, threw a huge anny and let the APEness turn it back in for a nice S shot. This disc i can see being good for those CRAZY huge flex shots.
137 blue Wraith - still thinking that the 130s are too light for me to toss without some adjustment because i couldn't get this to fly that well either, they would also flip over with wind or a lot of armspeed.

Bottom line: i love the glide on these and i like the fact that you can put nothing on em and still get some decent distance. I just feel that im not adjusting well to the lower weights. I'm not sure if these are going to be worth going in the bag too often considering how easily they are tossed around by the wind, and Iowa does get quite windy. I think i need to find someone with a 150 Boss and try that out maybe?
Ion . Anode
Hornet . Vector . Axis . Fuse
Trident . PD . River . Beast
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Favorite Disc: (beat) Star Beast

Re: Suggested Blizzard Discs?

Postby inthedrift » Thu May 17, 2012 7:35 pm

The Bosses do seem to be some of the best of the bunch. My friend is all about the Blizz and seems to throw his Bosses the best/most consistently.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby JR » Thu May 17, 2012 8:43 pm

I guess i've thrown my 155 Boss hard into approximately 17-20 MPH wind and it needed around 4-5 degrees of hyzer to flip to flat. For almost 400' but there was more power behind it the throw was too low for best possible D. Normally the Boss fades out on me. So it is a very golfable disc that i can't flip so i need a lighter one too.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby slowarm » Fri May 18, 2012 2:00 am

JR, how the hell you can measure "4-5 degrees of hyzer"? Are you sure it wasn't 6 degrees?

To the topic: I don't throw Blizzards, but a friend of mine loves his Bliz Bosses (don't know the weights, 140-150g I guess). Also, I witnessed yesterday a 12-years old kid throwing a Bliz Wraith about 105 meters (soccer field, tailwind). That kid's max distance with a 165g Leo is less than 70 meters!
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: flat S-MD2 (beaten)

Postby JR » Fri May 18, 2012 6:30 am

I don't get too accurate angle results all the time i'm sure. No human is a precision instrument when it comes to sensory perception. As a result all the angles are the best i can manage and must be taken with a grain of salt and the error margin probably varies from day to day and angle to angle.

I think the proper tool for the job and a teaching tool is called a protractor in English. Anyone knows what 90 degree angle is. Divide that by two visually or aligning hands or fingers and looking at it you're probably still fairly accurate at 45. Divide that into three parts and you get 15 degrees, which ain't that easy to do visually any more but not hard if you've got it burned into memory by looking at a protractor. Divide that by three and you'll get 5 degrees. A flat shot is easy to determine. One degree is ok because it is just off of flat. Two and three degrees are a hair more than that and the most difficult angles to see along with 6-8 degrees. Because they are off of familiar angles. I'm so old that at elementary school we had to use thus stare at protractors a lot. Practice can help. I have probably hours of looking at a protractor focusedly.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby LumberJack » Fri May 18, 2012 12:37 pm

I have 2-150g blue Bliz Bosses with a moderate dome. I throw tight lil helixes with them on a hyzer flip line. I also have 2-150g blue Bliz Destroyers, slightly smaller dome than the bosses, and they started out with the most fade and had 0 high speed turn with my 400' of power but they have since broken in to be pure bombers. They're faster than the bosses, seems to me anyhow, and they flip up from a hyzer, lock into straight for a long time and then fade moderately. They get to where they're going so damn fast. If I want pure distance with the Destroyers I'll throw them out on a high flex line and just let them work...and they work, probably some of the longest throws I've ever had on a course, but it takes some room to work.
Pure, Rhyno, Roc, Saint, QOLF, Astra, Quasar, Predator

People deserve the government they get. Why? Because they haven't learned to govern themselves.
LumberJack
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby InvaderMirO » Fri May 18, 2012 2:45 pm

LumberJack wrote:I have 2-150g blue Bliz Bosses with a moderate dome. I throw tight lil helixes with them on a hyzer flip line. I also have 2-150g blue Bliz Destroyers, slightly smaller dome than the bosses, and they started out with the most fade and had 0 high speed turn with my 400' of power but they have since broken in to be pure bombers. They're faster than the bosses, seems to me anyhow, and they flip up from a hyzer, lock into straight for a long time and then fade moderately. They get to where they're going so damn fast. If I want pure distance with the Destroyers I'll throw them out on a high flex line and just let them work...and they work, probably some of the longest throws I've ever had on a course, but it takes some room to work.

yea, im only looking for a good blizzard disk as a max distance bomber. i doubt the loss of weight adds any extra control for tight wooded shots or golf lines. so i really just want one i can put out with a bit of hyzer, watch it flip to flat or slightly over, and then have it glide into a slow to moderate fade.

from the looks of it i need to try out a 150ish Boss.
Ion . Anode
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Postby JR » Fri May 18, 2012 9:49 pm

For me the Boss 155 seem faster than the Destro 134 toward the end of the flight. For me the 155 Boss doesn't flip at all and it fades half to two thirds tick less than broken in Pro 170 Boss. So it adds a little security against under powered throws. Very little. I wouldn't call it a moderate fade if the regular Boss fades hard and hogs even harder. I don't know if the Boss breaks into flipping and less fading. I've gotten some long range tree hits and one minor nick on the outside edge and it flies like new. For out of the box flip and a moderate fade a Wraith or a Katana.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Cavere » Fri May 25, 2012 8:30 am

Personally my 138 boss flips pretty well when throwing it 400-440'. It doesn't flip as hard as my first run boss though but isn't nearly as beat in. I tried. A blizzard wraith someone found yesterday and I must say I liked it. Had good turn on a 380' shot.
katana--Boss--Surge--Orc--Monster--Roadrunner--Eagle--Buzz--FR Ion
subject to change almost each and every day!
Cavere
Noob

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby veganray » Fri May 25, 2012 8:34 am

I am quite fond of my 150g Dominators (flippy), 150g Wraiths (straight), & 150g TeeDevils (overstable).
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby smarkquart » Fri May 25, 2012 9:04 am

I just received my 147g Blizzard DD2 in the mail. No bubbles in the plate, which is disappointing because I bought into the placebo that bubbles in the flight plate means more weight in the rim which in turn means more spin for such a light weight. It is also pancake flat, which is incredibly surprising considering how domey all my Destroyers and Bosses are.

I am forcing myself to use it exclusively tonight at BRP. I am debating whether to put my name on it or not. I definitely do not want to lose it, but if I end up not liking it, it would be easier to sell/ trade with no ink.
smarkquart
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Depends on the month

Postby JR » Sat May 26, 2012 2:53 am

I haven't seen Blizzard DD2s. P DD2s have a great dome and fly well when broekn in (fairly fast) and S DD2s are flat as pancakes and noticeably more HSS and still a little speed stable in hard headwinds and dump fading way short. I don't know what they are going for in terms of flight path, dome and role for the DD2 so the lack of plastic in the flight plate in the S DD2 preventing doming up seems to have been duplicated in your Bliz example. Does anyone know if all DD2 Blizzards are flat thus the intended way? If they are i would imagine they overlap hard with Bliz Destros that have so far been the most OS Blizzards fading hard. I imagine that the DD2 will fade hard being flat topped. That pulls up the outside edge making the disc overstable.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby InvaderMirO » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:56 pm

picked up a 150 blizzard boss. i found one of the early runs it looks like because this one still has most of its bubbles in the flight plate rather than the rim (which sounds like a better idea for added Gyro effect)

still not a fan of these discs i guess... i want it to work but its just not happening.
im just not seeing the bonus out of these. i don't feel like i can throw them under control at 100% power and really the only thing i would want one of these for is a max distance driver. when i do get a good rip on em they fly pretty well but never outdrive a good rip from my Flow/Katana. even in tailwind i still get pretty much the same or better distance with the katana.

on a somewhat related note i have found 4 blizzard in the woods in the past 2 weeks. apparently they fly about as well for me as they do for everyone else in iowa.
Ion . Anode
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Postby TOURNEYPLAYER » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:22 pm

love my 150g Teedevil. I have about 350 power and it will turn a little then come back.
TOURNEYPLAYER
I bugged Frank for a rank and got this as my rank. WOOOO Frank rules!

Favorite Disc: ZONE BITCHES

Postby PMantle » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:59 pm

With our Academy getting in some Blizz stuff, I decided to try one. Having has bad experiences with a boss or two, I was afraid of those. Decided on a 147 or so Destroyer. It's understable for me. I guess I should have compared plh on the inventory. Not a total waste, as it is very long for me, but I was expecting a little more wind tolerance. I guess that will be my Scorpius.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Pure

Next

Return to Equipment