Woods Advice For A Sporadic Roc Tosser

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Woods Advice For A Sporadic Roc Tosser

Postby RebelZero » Sat May 19, 2012 11:08 am

I don't always throw Rocs. I often throw Buzzzes and Wasps instead. Lately I've been on a big Roc kick, though. Every time I go through one, I remember why I put em away the last time: trees. Lots and lots of trees. My home courses are heavily wooded. I'm not a huge arm but I throw hard and I can devastate a Roc's DX plastic with an errant angle.

So my question for all you Roc lovers out there is: what kind of Roc can I toss in the woods that won't go straight from "lightly seasoned" to "canoe shaped" with a few hard impacts? I have a Star San Marino - will that work? Rancho Rocs seem to get most of the love around here so I've never really thrown it. Is a Champ + Roc any good for wooded courses?

I'm really digging my DX Rocs this time around. I'd love to find a sturdier complement to heave at Treeville so I can minimize a couple molds.

Thanks.
RebelZero
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Re: Woods Advice For A Sporadic Roc Tosser

Postby bluemarinoni » Sat May 19, 2012 12:02 pm

Nothing wrong with the Wasp. At the end of the day, I'd rather throw a Z Wasp. My rocs loose stability fairly quickly, but the Wasp still recovers. They're nearly identical, which you know- but it just works better.

I'm interested in seeing how this develops, and what folk say. Also loving the Star Spider right now, especially on wooded holes- the roc wants some ceiling to do all the wonderful things you can do with it, the Spider takes a beating a little better, and I find it easier to control, harder to over-throw. That's my say. Z Wasp or Star Spider.
bluemarinoni
Noob

Favorite Disc: focus

Postby RebelZero » Sat May 19, 2012 12:15 pm

Yeah, I usually like a Wasp/Buzzz/Meteor combo. It does everything I need. It's just every once in awhile I get a wild hair to go all Roc, all the time and eliminate a couple molds.

I have a Champ Spider. I may need to give it a try.
RebelZero
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby victorb » Sat May 19, 2012 6:24 pm

Rocs don't go from stable to flippy even if they taco. Just bend it back, it will still fly straight.

Also, if you're hitting trees that hard, changing discs won't solve anything. Just buy more dx rocs, they cycle in stages of wear better than pretty much any other disc ever made.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby BrotherDave » Sat May 19, 2012 8:33 pm

KC Pro Rocs are/were much more stout than some of the DX I've been seeing lately. I always liked the bottom stamped DX Rocs the best, they seemed to come in the better DX plastic but I haven't fondled any in a while.

Some other Roc impersonators in premium plastic: Pain (I think these do a great Roc impression), Vector, QSentinel
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby colombo117 » Sun May 20, 2012 7:47 am

I agree that throwing dx plastic into trees can be bothersome, but I have found that my rocs still maintain much of their stability. I have a dx pumpkin roc from 2009 that has hit many, many trees and it is still a bit stable and will hold a hyzer when thrown on one.

One issue I have seen is that the dx plastic coming out lately is soft and feels poor. The stiff dx is where its at.

So, if you can't get good stiff dx, get some champ or star rocs, even the plus molds are good. Or get a Pain, Wasp, or Vector like others have said. There are many options.
Last edited by colombo117 on Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ion Challenger Roc EL/EX QJLS Valkyrie Predator
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby JR » Sun May 20, 2012 10:48 pm

Stiff DX fo sho and that's not the case for my only bottom stamped DX Roc and at least some of KCs from last year was shit. It broke faster than DX! It is very bogus advice to say that harder plastic wouldn't help in the woods. All primo plastic lives long and prospers in the woods. KC ain't primo. Star San Marino Rocs are +molds so if that creates slip issues it won't help. Otherwise it is a good Roc variation and a great mid.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby LumberJack » Mon May 21, 2012 4:48 am

I know there is a pretty large difference between a big arm and my arm. I can put my Rocs out to about 330' on a golf line. I've hit plenty of trees over the years with my Rocs and there is no way I could wreck a Roc in 3-4 tree hits.

My .02$... keep throwing Rocs, hit fewer trees.

I also like the new King Cobra. Not quite a Roc, not quite a Buzz, but close to both and champ plastic. Leave the flash on it.
Pure, Rhyno, Roc, Saint, QOLF, Astra, Quasar, Predator

People deserve the government they get. Why? Because they haven't learned to govern themselves.
LumberJack
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby InvaderMirO » Mon May 21, 2012 9:03 am

Could try out MVP Plastic.

Vector - New Roc
Axis - Seasoned Roc
and possibly Fuse - Beat to hell Roc.
San Marino Rocs also come in Star plastic and are supposed to fly like a seasoned ranchero.

the MVP and Gold Line plastic are very sturdy.
here in iowa we have a ton of trees and wooded courses so i understand the desire for stronger plastic. i used to really like DX teebirds as my driver for a long time but due to my lack of accuracy at the time and the quantity of trees i just couldn't keep them around as a reliable disc. even bending them back i would notice large changes between throws if they hit pretty hard.
Ion . Anode
Hornet . Vector . Axis . Fuse
Trident . PD . River . Beast
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Favorite Disc: (beat) Star Beast

Postby vto » Mon May 21, 2012 9:12 am

Yep, I'm also throwing my Rocs up to 330' on a course, even in wooded tunnels, and I'm using DX Rocs. When I hit an early tree, I just bend it back and it doesn't fly all that much different. Frankly my bigger problem is that my Rocs don't wear fast enough, as due to some losses I'm down to just one last well worn Roc, and have to resort to Comets in place of worn Rocs. Although I have to say I liked the older stiffer DX better than this new half-R-pro DX mix they're putting out now. KC Pro Rocs are just too hard and slick for my tastes, and not that much more durable.

MVP Vectors are pretty good fit to the more durable Roc slot, I did throw them for a while. But again, a bit too slick for my tastes. I just love the grip of DX.
Quasar, Nuke, Predator, Orion LF, Orion LS, Roc, Comet, Sinus AP, Pure
vto
Noob

Favorite Disc: Orion LF

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon May 21, 2012 11:39 am

I don't really feel like the fuse or axis really throw like beat rocs. They don't really fly that much alike except for being understable mids.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby InvaderMirO » Mon May 21, 2012 3:49 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:I don't really feel like the fuse or axis really throw like beat rocs. They don't really fly that much alike except for being understable mids.

could you explain the difference?

i dont feel like i ever got a roc seasoned well and im curious if i should maybe go dig up my old lightly worn DX ones for further experiments.
Ion . Anode
Hornet . Vector . Axis . Fuse
Trident . PD . River . Beast
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob

Favorite Disc: (beat) Star Beast

Postby victorb » Tue May 22, 2012 6:02 am

InvaderMirO wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:I don't really feel like the fuse or axis really throw like beat rocs. They don't really fly that much alike except for being understable mids.

could you explain the difference?

i dont feel like i ever got a roc seasoned well and im curious if i should maybe go dig up my old lightly worn DX ones for further experiments.

The fuse has quite a bit more high speed understability, and being in a premium plastic still tends to have some fade. DX Rocs wear in by losing their low speed overstability before their high speed turn.

I haven't thrown the axis, but I'm guessing that it has the same touchy tendencies.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue May 22, 2012 12:06 pm

that right there. Axis and fuse are good discs but don't do what a beat roc does. They turn more and will fade more when thrown nose up or with some height.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby jubuttib » Tue May 22, 2012 5:37 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:that right there. Axis and fuse are good discs but don't do what a beat roc does. They turn more and will fade more when thrown nose up or with some height.
Your Axis turns?

EDIT: And for that matter, your Axis fades?

Personally I would never compare the Axis to the Fuse. The Fuse is an understable mid, whereas the Axis isn't.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Next

Return to Equipment