Dropping your shoulder

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Dropping your shoulder

Postby zpitman135 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:07 pm

Ive been doing a lot of work on keeping my disc on its line. Ive made a lot of improvements lately and one thing that has helped me is dropping my shoulder a little bit during my throw. Very similar to the way nikko locastro does. Its helped me throw farther and keep on my line, but i noticed not all of the pros seem to be doing this. i know that nikko does and barry shultz seems to a little bit too. feldberg seems to keep his shoulder on the same plane. the only downside ive seen is when i reach too far back i miss my line by a lot. but as long as i keep from doing that im accurate. is this ok to keep ding or should i stop?
zpitman135
Noob

Favorite Disc: Supersoft Wizard

Re: Dropping your shoulder

Postby seabas22 » Wed May 23, 2012 11:17 am

Not exactly sure what you are saying, but in general I'd agree it's ok to drop the throwing shoulder on the backswing for most shots. It helps keep balance and hinge off the shoulder to keep it relaxed and better for loading it later especially for hyzer and flat and turnovers. Regardless its best to keep the shoulders rotating on the same plane as the intended disc angle at release to maximize leverage. If you try to reach back too far with the throwing shoulder low, you are probably taking it off hyzer plane. A true hyzer reach back is more out toward the right side of your body rather than coming further across your body, its the only way to keep the disc traveling in a straight line toward the target apex.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby JR » Thu May 24, 2012 6:38 am

Dropping the shoulder in the reach back allows for a slightly longer reach back with potential for more distance. Feldy showed that in his clinic.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby zpitman135 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:21 pm

ok thats what i was asking. So basically its ok to do as long as you keep it on the same plane?
zpitman135
Noob

Favorite Disc: Supersoft Wizard

Postby seabas22 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:43 pm

Yep, I often recommend to drop the throwing shoulder on the backswing. You just don't want to rotate back through the finish then with the throwing shoulder staying lower than the other. That would mean you are not rotating properly on your spinal axis or doing something funky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pglQGlTOh2o
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Return to Technique