Fishing...

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Fishing...

Postby BLURR » Wed May 23, 2012 9:49 am

So...my other addiction is going fishing. Ice/Fly/Top Water/Bobber&Worm/etc...it doesn't matter. Loves me some fishing. So, I wanted to start a thread to talk about fishing in general.

The spawn bed's are pretty hopping right now in central Iowa. Went fishing a few days ago and slaughtered 6-8 in. gills and 12-14 in. crappies. Even snagged a couple of little bass. The neighbor was catching quite a few Catish last weekend as well.

What's biting out there in other areas of the country?
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: Fishing...

Postby MR. WICK » Wed May 23, 2012 9:59 am

Been catching plenty of bass in Connecticut. I work in a town with a lake so I usually hit it up a few times a week on lunch break. I own a canoe as well and live near the CT river so I hit that up as well. I mostly fish soft plastic texas rigged, grubs on a jig or the good ol jitterbug if the sun is starting to go down.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby JR » Thu May 24, 2012 7:21 am

The Finnish definition of a lake is probably smaller than what you have over there. With the Finnish definition there are over 60000 lakes here and some say it's more than the rest of the world has combined. So even though i don't like most fish foods i can't avoid fishing (cool) with my family when i'm over at my dad's place. Nets, fish traps and a fishing rod. I haven't ice fished in years.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby BLURR » Thu May 24, 2012 7:27 am

Wick, do you every use a jitterbug for early morning fishing? A white belly jitterbug or hula popper early in the morning on glassy water is a money combonation for bass.

JR...you should give ice fishing another go. If the fish aren't biting, that is just more time to drink beer/whiskey. It's a win/win situation.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby MR. WICK » Thu May 24, 2012 7:37 am

BLURR wrote:Wick, do you every use a jitterbug for early morning fishing? A white belly jitterbug or hula popper early in the morning on glassy water is a money combonation for bass.

JR...you should give ice fishing another go. If the fish aren't biting, that is just more time to drink beer/whiskey. It's a win/win situation.

I haven't really experimented with them in the AM yet. Nice tip though, I'll have to give that a shot. I took friday off work so I've got a nice little 4 day wknd coming up, I'll be on the water early Friday AM. There are a ton of little lakes and ponds all around the state, I'm going to try fish a few new spots this season.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby bergdawg » Thu May 24, 2012 8:18 am

BLURR wrote:The spawn bed's are pretty hopping right now in central Iowa.

Who are you?
bergdawg
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: 10M Brick

Postby BLURR » Thu May 24, 2012 8:43 am

bergdawg wrote:

Who are you?

SpikeHyzer over on IowaDG.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby bergdawg » Thu May 24, 2012 9:42 am

BLURR wrote:
bergdawg wrote:

Who are you?

SpikeHyzer over on IowaDG.

Right on, I don't post there much anymore. I moved to Dixie a couple years ago.
bergdawg
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: 10M Brick

Postby JR » Fri May 25, 2012 12:31 am

BLURR wrote:Wick, do you every use a jitterbug for early morning fishing? A white belly jitterbug or hula popper early in the morning on glassy water is a money combonation for bass.

We've had about 50 % success rate ice fishing but the reasons are that we have to ski a lot cross country to get to the lake and my dad has an arm in so poor condition that it's not an option. And if i go outside in the winter for a long time to endure the cold it better be good>so i disc golf :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby jubuttib » Fri May 25, 2012 1:26 pm

It's not usually a very good idea to do much drinking outside during the winter in Finland. It's not that hard to end up compromising your core temperature.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Sat May 26, 2012 3:28 am

There is an acceptable medium health wise in having a good thermos filled up with hot stuff. Good recipes are water plus Hershey's Double Chocolate Syrup with a dash of brandy or Cognac. I'm talking no more than 4 cl of those per a half liter of the resulting drink. Taste wise i'd back off to 2 cl of alcohol. Heavenly tasting hot or cold and everything in between is fine too. Slurp. Makes me wish for that. I've never had alcohol ice fishing it's a long long time since i've ice fished and back then i was an absolutist.

Drinking outside in the Winter in Finland can and does kill many annually.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby rooneytunes » Mon May 28, 2012 10:35 pm

My two hobbies/passion/obsessions in life are disc golf and duck hunting. Fishing is on a whole other level of ridiculousness. Here in East Texas, the bass are off their beds and so are the crappie. The blue gills and red ears and greens are on big time. Caught a couple blue gills last weekend that I could barely get my hand around. I just into panfishing this last year and it is an awesome way to kill time when the bass are on lock down.

My brother-in-law is a crappie guide here and really helped me learn about crappie. I've been bass fishing since I was 12 and haven't looked back. The biggest problem I have in life is deciding how I'm going to spend my free time, fishing or discing. My life sucks.... :D

Jitterbugs are good lures, but I think due to their age, they aren't as effective as newer presentations. My new favorite topwater for the morning and evening is a soft plastic lure called a Salad Spoon made by Lunker City. It is basically a frog body with a short fat ribbon tail on the back rigged weightless on a EWG hook. It is very subtle, and is a great bait on calm mornings with no wind when I would usually fish a pop'r or a hollow body frog. I fish very high pressured waters and I have to change my game to stay ahead of the crowd. The Salad Spoon has been my go to topwater when the bite is tough.

Man I could go on and on and on, but I'll stop there. I'm pumped that there are other people here who like to wet lines.
Wraith-Pred-FD-Eagle-XXX-Warship-Fuse-Pure
rooneytunes
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Postby JR » Tue May 29, 2012 2:04 am

Is it such a wonder that some disc golfers like fishing? Let me see. Both are hunting to score, serene, can be nature friendly and often id, you're in the nature, should be relaxed and so on plus can be non sweat breaking if it ain't sunny and hot see next har har. And some drink beer doing both. Here's a way to lure fishers to play disc golf: Disc golf and fishing both can be good for promoting your beer drinking habit cough :mrgreen:
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby BLURR » Tue May 29, 2012 7:12 am

Took the day off this past Friday...what a great day. Hit the gym, then went straight to the lake. Fished for about 3 hours. Went home grabbed my disc gear and went out for two rounds at Walnut. We had an A-Tier here in town, so there were a lot of players out at Walnut to get a round in with. Met some new people. Got to chat with some old friends. All in all, a good day was had. Now, back to the fishing. The Stripers were biting Friday morning. Nothing of any bragging size, but damn they are fun to catch. Used a lead head with a twister tail and slow retrieving it. After the stripers quit, I started casting a bobber with a 2 ft. lead with hook and worm, dragging it back across the blue gill bed's. Caught quite a few little gill's and crappies doing that. The highlight of the morning was snagging a 12 in. crappie. Probably going to hit the lake tonight after work as well.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.